Re: WPMacApp - garbled text

  • fostersusan13
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 12, 2012
      Thanks for getting back to me so fast!

      I received a message about downloading the WP Converter. I did, and then received the message that it was an encrypted WordPerfect file.
      Are these kinds of files unencryptable and if so, how?

      Continuing thanks â€"
    • Gilbert, Geoff
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 12, 2012
        Only if you can remember the original password. There may be clever software out there to beat the encryption, but I've never found it
        Geoff

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 12, 2012
          You wrote the WP Converter. Did you mean the WP Viewer? In any case, having written both of them, I'm a bit puzzled, because if these ARE encrypted WordPerfect files they would not have displayed at all in WPMac in the WPMacApp, not even in garbled form. So I suspect that the WP Converter or WP Viewer is making a mistake about this if it is true that (1) the file displays in garbled from in WPMac AND (2) one of these programs tells you have an encrypted file.

          First, if you are using the WP Converter, please download the WP Viewer that I linked to in a previous message, and try again. I really did mean that you should use the WP Viewer, not the WP Converter. If you get an error message, please tell us exactly what it is - the exact words.

          Second, if these are in fact encrypted files, that means that you saved them with password-protection because you wanted to keep their contents secret. Presumably you would remember that if you did. If you don't remember saving them with password-protection, then they probably are not encrypted WordPerfect files. If they are NOT encrypted WordPerfect files AND WordPerfect won't open, then it may be possible to find a program that will open them, but it would take a lot of time and effort.

          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "fostersusan13" <Anon88888@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for getting back to me so fast!
          >
          > I received a message about downloading the WP Converter. I did, and then received the message that it was an encrypted WordPerfect file.
          > Are these kinds of files unencryptable and if so, how?
          >
          > Continuing thanks â€"

        • fostersusan13
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 14, 2012
            Yikes — I'd probably need to spend the time and effort you mention to find a program that will open them — as I don't have a clue or need to password-protect individual files, I guess they're not actually encrypted.

            I placed the file on WP Viewer, and received the following message:

            "I was unable to convert to [name of file] for viewing.

            It may be one of the few WordPerfect file types that the libwpd conversion software cannot open.

            You should be able to convert it to RTF format with the WP Converter application. Would you like to download the WP Converter?"

            (Besides WP Converter, I also dabbled with WordPerfect Viewer and WPMacApp.)

            Continuing thanks,

            — Susan
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 14, 2012
              That message means that the WP Viewer doesn't recognize what kind of file it is. I say that it MAY be a WP file because I assume that the only files that people would drop on the program would be files that they know are WordPerfect files.

              You said (if I remember correctly) that you may have tried to open some of these files in Nisus Writer, so perhaps the best thing to do is download a current copy of Nisus Writer (search for "Nisus Writer" on Google) and see if it will open the files.