New version of US$19 WPD Wizard on the App Store

    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 29, 2012
      A few days ago a new version of the commercial WP file viewer WPD Wizard got posted on the App Store. It's a major improvement over the first version, and seems to me the best WP viewer for the Mac. It still has the same limitations that all WP viewers have if they're based on the wpd2html code in libwpd - in other words, comments, headers, footnotes, etc., are lumped together at the end of the displayed file - but it has a spacious display with thumbnail images like those in Preview and opens any WP file, including password-protected files created by WPMac or WPDOS/Win through version 5.1 - if you know the password already. It doesn't open password-protected files created by version 6 or later.

      The basic functions are the same as those in my free WP Viewer (recently updated to open password-protected WPMac files), here

      https://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WPViewer.zip

      but the WPD Wizard produces better-looking output and is more convenient to use. Recommended to anyone willing to spend a few dollars on it.
    • mxytsplyk
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 30, 2012
        I have the iPhone version:

        Itʻs limited in presenting a document; formatted text only, no graphics and no boxed text are displayed.

        What it will do, though, is convert a document. Iʻve been able to push a document to PDF Write (again, sans the graphics & boxed text) with the text retaining much of itʻs font, size, color and style.

        http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wordperfect-viewer-for-iphone/id408788824

        Joe

        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 30, 2012
          As a side note, the iPhone version is published by Corel.

          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 30, 2012
            You're referring to a different product: "WordPerfect Viewer" published by Corel and written by LawBox LLC, and based on an older version of the libwpd conversion software. "WPD Wizard" is Mac-only and published by Solvusoft. It's "WPD Wizard" that's been improved. "WordPerfect Viewer" hasn't been updated for a year - but it is the only such product for the iPhone or iPad.

            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 30, 2012
              Once again, it's the "WordPerfect Viewer" that's published by Corel for the iPhone and iPad and by LawSoft for the Mac.

              The "WPD Wizard" that's recently been improved is by Solvusoft and is for OS X only. On the Mac, the "WPD Wizard" is a better product, but it doesn't exist for the iPhone or iPad.

              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "mxytsplyk" <mxytsplyk@...> wrote:

              > As a side note, the iPhone version is published by Corel.
              >
              > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "mxytsplyk" <mxytsplyk@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I have the iPhone version:
              > >
              > > Itʻs limited in presenting a document; formatted text only, no graphics and no boxed text are displayed.
              > >
              > > What it will do, though, is convert a document. Iʻve been able to push a document to PDF Write (again, sans the graphics & boxed text) with the text retaining much of itʻs font, size, color and style.
              > >
              > > http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wordperfect-viewer-for-iphone/id408788824
              > >
              > > Joe
              > >
              > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "em315" <em315@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > A few days ago a new version of the commercial WP file viewer WPD Wizard got posted on the App Store. It's a major improvement over the first version, and seems to me the best WP viewer for the Mac. It still has the same limitations that all WP viewers have if they're based on the wpd2html code in libwpd - in other words, comments, headers, footnotes, etc., are lumped together at the end of the displayed file - but it has a spacious display with thumbnail images like those in Preview and opens any WP file, including password-protected files created by WPMac or WPDOS/Win through version 5.1 - if you know the password already. It doesn't open password-protected files created by version 6 or later.
              > > >
              > > > The basic functions are the same as those in my free WP Viewer (recently updated to open password-protected WPMac files), here
              > > >
              > > > https://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WPViewer.zip
              > > >
              > > > but the WPD Wizard produces better-looking output and is more convenient to use. Recommended to anyone willing to spend a few dollars on it.

            • Peter Chisteckoff
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 19, 2012
                Will WP Wizard or your viewer allow me to save my WP files to Word?

                ________________________________

                ------------------------------------
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 21, 2012
                  Complicated question. Look up WPD Wizard on line for the slightly complicated answer. Download and try my WP Viewer to see if it meets your needs. A long-winded answer from me won't adequately tell you, but thirty seconds of testing will.

                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Peter Chisteckoff <chistp@...> wrote:

                  > Will WP Wizard or your viewer allow me to save my WP files to Word?
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • marksmeritt
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 8, 2014

                    I was just looking into Mac WP converters and came across this message thread. I tried your free WP Viewer, and it successfully opens files in TextEdit under Mountain Lion, but I see it's saving both an HTML and RTF version of each file in a place called TemporaryFiles, which I can't locate. With your WP Viewer, what's the easiest way of saving the converted RTF in a location of my choosing?

                    While on the general topic, is there any general consensus over what's the best paid converter app? I see four in the Mac App Store, all with a four-star rating, noted below with current pricing in USD.

                    --WordPerfect WPDReader by Enolsoft ($4.99)

                    --WordPerfect Document Viewer by LawBox ($6.99)

                    --WPD Wizard by Solvusoft ($9.99)

                    --ED WPDReader ($0.99)

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 9, 2014

                      I think the first part is addressed to me. With your document open in the WP Viewer, hold down the Option key and click File/Save As... Then specify the desired format and location.

                      The best of the others depends on what you want it for. The one from LawBox opens all WP files even if they don't have a .WPD extension (you have to drag the file on the icon if the file doesn't have an extension). The Enolsoft one has the nicest display.

                      But the best results by far are produced by my WPLO Converter (search for it; there might be a link in the Links section here), which uses LibreOffice to do the conversion.

                    • jrethorst
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 9, 2014

                        > there might be a link in the Links section here

                        There is. Just below the graphic on this page there' a line of links: Conversations, Photos, Files and More. Click on More; a menu will drop showing Links.

                        John R.

                      • Mark S. Meritt
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 10, 2014
                          Thanks for the info. Followups:

                          --Re: WP Viewer, doing the Save As still leaves the HTML/RTF items under Temporary Files, though I no longer see the Temporary Files from a few days ago. Does OSX automatically clear that out on a daily basis or something like that, so we don't need to worry about any files being left there?

                          --Re: the WPLO Converter -- Wow, over 500 MB, far bigger than the other converters, and I think not all that much smaller than the full LibreOffice. I haven't run it yet, because I see the unzip led to a folder that includes the app, the ReadMe and also an AppleScript workflow. Is it best to just move the entire folder over to Applications and leave it as is?

                          Best,
                          Mark S. Meritt
                          http://potluckcreativearts.com/ - Music, arts and creativity services / Certified Simply Music Teacher - In Person and Online Lessons
                          http://theoffhandband.com/ - Satisfying songs for kids and families
                          http://potluck.com/ - Original stuff
                          http://marksmeritt.com/ - Interactive resume/biography

                        • jrethorst
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 10, 2014

                            > Does OSX automatically clear that out on a daily basis or something

                            like that, so we don't need to worry about any files being left there?

                            I believe so. OSX runs daily, weekly and monthly maintenance scripts. One of those should take care of this.

                            John R.

                          • jrethorst
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 10, 2014

                              Also, it's recommended to run a maintenance utility like the free Onyx (link in the Links section here) about once a month. Onyx optionally deletes temporary files as well as caches and stuff that can benefit from periodic cleaning.

                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 13, 2014
                                  Curiously, WPLO Converter gave an error message yet also worked properly the first try. The exact text in the error window is:

                                  "WPLO has converted '/Applications/WPLOConverter/WPLO Converter.app/Contents/Resources/Files/Drive/Temp/infile.wpd" doesn't understand the <event sysonotf> message.

                                  I've gotten the same results each time so far, converting different individual documents, including both from running the app first as well as double-clicking a WPD file to automatically launch the app, and with both of these both before and after a reboot.

                                  No big deal, really, just an "Ok" button to make the error window go away, but it seemed worth reporting since it sounds like it may be novel behavior compared to the expected error/failure before working properly.

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 14, 2014

                                    I admit I'm puzzled by that one. Exactly what kind of file are you trying to convert, and to what format? I've never seen that error message before. I might be able to help if you could e-mail a file to me at the address that you can find on this page:

                                    http://wpdos.org/feedback.html

                                  • Mark S. Meritt
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 15, 2014
                                      I'm not sure I really need any help, since things seem to be converting properly. It's a fairly minor inconvenience to have to click Ok in a window upon conversion completion.

                                      I used WP beginning in Fall 1988 with whatever version of WP for DOS was current, and later on I upgraded to Windows versions up through 8. I never used it on a Mac. Several years ago I had OpenOffice on my Mac for a time, but that could only open the file without saving any changes unless I saved as a different format, so the files should all still be in whatever form they were prior to 2004 when I switched to Mac.

                                      I have hundreds (maybe over thousand) of WP documents in various folders, so I couldn't really check all of them for possible differences in format / WP version. There are likely some that were created in earlier versions of WP I was using but then never later opened/saved in a newer version. But all of them have .wpd as the file extension, and the handful of documents that I've used to test out your viewer and the WPLO converter all say, when I do Get Info via Command-I, that they are WordPerfect .WP6 Documents.

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jan 15, 2014

                                        OK, I'm glad not to do any work. But the next time the window pops up and makes you click OK, could you kindly press Cmd-Shift-4 and drag the cursor to capture an image of the window. The image will be saved on to your desktop. If you could mail me the image, I'll have some idea of what's going on and will try to get rid of the minor annoyance. Thanks.