Re: [wpmac] Where is the last freed edition of WP to be found here?

  • Thomas Clayton
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 16, 2012
      Kevin,

      In my case, I had found a set of diskettes and was curious at what it took to _still_ run it on a Mac OS of today. (This _was_ many years and four(?) versions of the Mac OS (X), ago.)

      WHAT are you intending to run it upon? (mPro? and Vn. of OS X?)

      What do you _want_ to _do_ with it? (do = accomplish)

      NO, I'm NOT the "gate keeper" (i.e. you don't have to answer my questions in order to be granted access _to_ WP for Mac). Most (many, anyway) of the "folks" on this list are lawyer / solicitor / barrister "types". (Me? Just a computer techie with an interest in the old (ancient?) days of computing.)

      FYI, the WP for Mac is withIN the (huge, IMO) DMG files that you can download thru this list. (About a DADs worth of download. I could be wrong and it might, now, be a DVDs worth of download.) All ready for you to expand and install and run (with lots of extra "goodies" - they _are_ that! - included). BTW, I don't (won't be) using any of the "appliances" they've created.

      Sincerely,

      Thomas Clayton

      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 17, 2012
        Hi. Sorry, that link just opens up to "Document not found."

        I did download the SS-WP file and after figuring out how to get around the settings not letting me open it, I just keep getting an error message. (OSStatus error--67049)

        I apologize I am a new Mac user and know nothing about them.

        Thanks for your help.
        Kevin
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 17, 2012
          If you are accustomed to using WordPerfect for Windows or WordPerfect for DOS, then you probably should not try WordPerfect for the Mac, which is an entirely different program. It's only really suitable for people who have been using it since the 1990s.

          It's possible to run WordPerfect for Windows or DOS on the Mac. If you say which one you used before, then we can offer advice.

          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Laurie and Kevin Mann <laurieandkevinmann@...> wrote:

          > I apologize I am a new Mac user and know nothing about them.
        • jcrethorst
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 17, 2012
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Laurie and Kevin Mann <laurieandkevinmann@...> wrote:

            > Hi. Sorry, that link just opens up to "Document not found."

            Don't know how that happened, but it's fixed now.

            > I did download the SS-WP file and after figuring out how to get
            > around the settings not letting me open it, I just keep getting
            > an error message. (OSStatus error--67049)

            I don't understand the settings not letting you open it, or the error. When you double-click "SheepShaver-WordPerfect_1.4.dmg", it should appear on your desktop and Finder just as though you had inserted a physical disk. Open the window of that "disk" if it's not already open, and double-click the installer.

            Anyone here know what the OSStatus error is about?

            What OS version are you on?

            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 17, 2012
              That error seems to have something to do with trying to run an application that hasn't been code-signed when Mountain Lion's default GateKeeper settings are on. Possibly the getting-started instructions could use an explanation of how to turn off GateKeeper while first launching SheepShaver-WP and then turning it on again after SheepShaver-WP has been run once.

              But the original poster explained that he or she is new to the Mac, and I think no one should be expected to learn two different operating systems (OS X and the old Mac OS under SheepShaver) at the same time. Surely the best recommendation is to run WP for Windows or DOS (whichever the original poster knows best) under the Mac, which is not very hard to do.

              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "jcrethorst" <jcrethorst@...> wrote:

              > > I did download the SS-WP file and after figuring out how to get
              > > around the settings not letting me open it, I just keep getting
              > > an error message. (OSStatus error--67049)
              >
              > I don't understand the settings not letting you open it, or the error. When you double-click "SheepShaver-WordPerfect_1.4.dmg", it should appear on your desktop and Finder just as though you had inserted a physical disk. Open the window of that "disk" if it's not already open, and double-click the installer.
              >
              > Anyone here know what the OSStatus error is about?

            • Doug Auwarter
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 17, 2012
                True, but WP for Windows or DOS is a very different experience than
                WP for Mac. Most all of us in this group are primarily interested in
                the continued use of WP for Mac under the new Mac OS's.
                Doug

                On Sep 17, 2012, at 1:50 PM, em315 wrote:

                > But the original poster explained that he or she is new to the Mac,
                > and I think no one should be expected to learn two different
                > operating systems (OS X and the old Mac OS under SheepShaver) at
                > the same time. Surely the best recommendation is to run WP for
                > Windows or DOS (whichever the original poster knows best) under the
                > Mac, which is not very hard to do.

              • Laurie and Kevin Mann
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 17, 2012
                  Hi. Yes. I agree with that statement. The less confusion for me, the better.
                  I am away from computer right now and will have another go at it in a few hours.
                  Kevin

                  4S

                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 17, 2012
                    But of course. My message was addressed to the original poster, not to "most all of us in the group."

                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 17, 2012
                      Edward,

                      From our (Kevin and my) previous exchange of letters on this list, Kevin had been using Word Perfect Office 11 on a Wintel. I have advised him of his options ( pretty clearly, I thought ) and awaited replies to my open questions.

                      I didn't, because of ignorance (of trade-offs), recommend an emulator ("PC" and its OS) to him. I recognize there are several but am uncertain of their benefits and liabilities.

                      Sincerely,

                      Thomas Clayton

                      > WordPerfect for Windows or WordPerfect for DOS, then you
                      > probably should not try WordPerfect for the Mac, which is an
                      > entirely different program. It's only really suitable for
                      > people who have been using it since the 1990s.
                      >
                      > It's possible to run WordPerfect for Windows or DOS on the
                      > Mac. If you say which one you used before, then we can offer
                      > advice.
                      >
                      > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com,
                      > Laurie and Kevin Mann <laurieandkevinmann@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > I apologize I am a new Mac user and know nothing about
                      > them.
                    • Edward Mendelson
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 18, 2012
                        My guess is that the most practical thing to do is (1) install Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion (I prefer Fusion); (2) install Windows into Parallels or Fusion; (3) install WordPerfect into the copy of Windows running in Parallels or Fusion. It sounds complicated to set up, but the end result is that WordPerfect for Windows runs perfectly in a window on the OS X desktop. It can print; it saves documents to any folder you choose; it exchanges data with the clipboard; it can open .WPD files from the Desktop or anywhere else in OS X; etc., etc.

                        Someone may recommend Codeweavers Crossover, which is supposed to make it possible to run Windows applications like WPWin in an OS X window. I tried it yesterday: the WP version that supposedly works best in Crossover(WP 12) crashes whenever I try to save a file. It's absolutely unusable in the real world.

                        As for switching to WPMac: of course I wouldn't discourage anyone from trying it, and my WPMacApp  system should work "out of the box." I know that many members of this group strongly believe that a case can be made for someone who has never used WPMac to start using it now, but I tend to doubt that anyone will choose to do that.

                        I'd be interested to hear of anyone who actually uses WPMac AND first started using it in the SheepShaver emulator, never having used it in the OS 7/8/9 era. If such a person exists, it would be good to learn about his or her experience.

                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 18, 2012
                          I have to take back what I said below about Codeweavers Crossover. I forgot that WP12 under Crossover can only save files if you turn off "Enhanced File Dialogs" in WP preferences. So Crossover looks ugly (and some dialogs in WP are unreadably small), but it does work: you can create and save files, and print from WPWin12 on the Mac. It may be worth downloading a trial copy to see if it's enough for someone who wants to continue using WPWin on a Mac.

                          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Edward Mendelson <em315@...> wrote:

                          > Someone may recommend Codeweavers Crossover, which is supposed to make it possible to run Windows applications like WPWin in an OS X window. I tried it yesterday: the WP version that supposedly works best in Crossover(WP 12) crashes whenever I try to save a file. It's absolutely unusable in the real world.

                        • Chris Harshman
                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 25, 2012
                            On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 10:00 AM, em315 <em315@...> wrote:

                            > **
                            >
                            > I have to take back what I said below about Codeweavers Crossover. I
                            > forgot that WP12 under Crossover can only save files if you turn off
                            > "Enhanced File Dialogs" in WP preferences. So Crossover looks ugly (and
                            > some dialogs in WP are unreadably small), but it does work: you can create
                            > and save files, and print from WPWin12 on the Mac. It may be worth
                            > downloading a trial copy to see if it's enough for someone who wants to
                            > continue using WPWin on a Mac.

                            For what it's worth, that's the solution I ended up with (though I'm
                            running WPWin 12 under Wine, not Crossover (which is basically Wine made
                            more user friendly). It's ugly but it does indeed work, for those occasions
                            when you need Wintel/WP compatibility.
                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 25, 2012
                              Could you possibly spell out in detail how you got WP12 installed under Wine? I didn't have much success, but I admit that I didn't try very hard. Any details will be very useful.

                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 25, 2012
                                While looking for _what_ "CodeWeavers CrossOver" is, I came across a reference to a this announcement. It _may_ be of some interest to those of you who have tried it, _before_.

                                "
                                Sep 24, 2012 - Public
                                In case you haven't heard, we released CrossOver 11.2.2 for Mac. This version of CrossOver fixes bugs which can occur with earlier versions of CrossOver when running Mac OS X 10.7.5 or 10.8.2.

                                If you are an existing CrossOver customer with an active support entitlement, you can visit our web site to download this latest version: http://www.codeweavers.com/
                                "

                                Also, from
                                "
                                Mar 6, 2012 - Public
                                After 583,200 minutes of continuous painstaking development, we present to you one unified product, CrossOver XI.
                                "

                                In all cases you'll need to re-evaluate your usage and reach conclusions, again. (I think!)

                                Sincerely,

                                Thomas Clayton
                              • Chris Harshman
                                Message 15 of 18 , Sep 26, 2012
                                  On Tuesday, September 25, 2012, em315 wrote:

                                  > Could you possibly spell out in detail how you got WP12 installed under
                                  > Wine? I didn't have much success, but I admit that I didn't try very hard.
                                  > Any details will be very useful.

                                  It's been a while, but IIRC I used an OEM WordPerfect Office 12 CD that
                                  came with an old Dell laptop I had, and just ran the installer, installing
                                  only the WordPerfect portion of the office suite (don't have any need for
                                  Quattro Pro or whatever the presentation application is).

                                  I launch WordPerfect with this script ("wordperfect.command"):

                                  #!/bin/sh
                                  ver=12;
                                  wp="Software\\Corel\\WordPerfect";
                                  root="HKEY_CURRENT_USER";
                                  wine regedit /D "${root}\\${wp}\\${ver}\\MDI Frame Position";
                                  wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/WordPerfect\ Office\
                                  12/Programs/wpwin12.exe &

                                  Also, as others have mentioned, I went immediately into preferences and
                                  disabled 'enhanced' file dialogs.

                                  Other than that, it "just works." I export to PDF if I ever need to print,
                                  and then use Preview.app or Acrobat to send the PDF to a printer. (I'm not
                                  sure if there's a way to setup Wine to use Mac printers natively, I've
                                  never looked into it.)
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Sep 26, 2012
                                    Thank you. I'll give this another try later. If I remember correctly, I was able to print using CrossOver, but I don't remember testing printing under Wine. Will report on progress if I have any.