Re: [wpmac] [OT] Java vulnerability -- disabling recommended

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 31, 2012
      The Java control panel in OS X now links to a patch that fixes the vulnerability.

      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "C.W. Betts" <Computers57@...> wrote:

      > If you see a Preference Pane for Java, you have an Oracle installation and probably 7. Earlier versions of Java had a Java Preferencces app in /Applications/Utilities.
      > On Aug 29, 2012, at 5:45 PM, "em315" <em315@...> wrote:
      >
      > > If you install Mountain Lion (which does not include an Apple version of Java), and you then run any application that requires Java, Apple will prompt you to download Java, and version 7 will be installed. In System Preferences, the Java preference pane (in Mountain Lion) tells you which version you have.
      > >
      > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Bob Stern <bob_stern@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > The vulnerability only applies to version 7 of Java, not version 6.
      > > > OS X includes only Java 6, so an OS X user would not have Java 7
      > > > unless he went to the trouble of manually downloading it from Oracle
      > > > and installing it.

    • Phillip M. Jones,C.E.T.
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2012
        I just Updated to 8.1 from 6.8 this very morning. Although it aske to
        install Java it mentioned 6 not 7. and I see no Control panel in The
        system preferences related to Java But I do see the application in
        Utilities.

        How do I update?

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 2, 2012
          It appears my original post was unhelpful. Apologies.