[OT] Java vulnerability -- disabling recommended

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 29, 2012
    • Chad Smith
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 29, 2012
        Thanks for the heads up.

        Java disabled

        *- Chad W. Smith*

        On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 11:09 AM, John R <johnrethorst@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2012/08/29/java_zero_day_vulnerability_why_you_should_disable_java_on_your_browser_right_now_.html?wpisrc=xs_wp_0001
        >
        > Note that Java and Javascript are not the same.

      • Bob Stern
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 29, 2012
          The vulnerability only applies to version 7 of Java, not version 6.
          OS X includes only Java 6, so an OS X user would not have Java 7
          unless he went to the trouble of manually downloading it from Oracle
          and installing it.

          (For reasons I don't understand, versions 6 and 7 are officially
          called 1.6 and 1.7.)

          See last paragraph entitled "Update" of:
          <http://www.macrumors.com/2012/08/28/newly-discovered-java-7-security-vulnerability-poses-risks-to-macs/>

          Which refers to:
          <http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57501517-263/new-java-7-exploit-can-potentially-affect-macs/>
          --

          Bob Stern
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 29, 2012
            If you install Mountain Lion (which does not include an Apple version of Java), and you then run any application that requires Java, Apple will prompt you to download Java, and version 7 will be installed. In System Preferences, the Java preference pane (in Mountain Lion) tells you which version you have.

            > The vulnerability only applies to version 7 of Java, not version 6.
            > OS X includes only Java 6, so an OS X user would not have Java 7
            > unless he went to the trouble of manually downloading it from Oracle
            > and installing it.

          • C.W. Betts
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 29, 2012
              If you see a Preference Pane for Java, you have an Oracle installation and probably 7. Earlier versions of Java had a Java Preferencces app in /Applications/Utilities.

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 31, 2012
                The Java control panel in OS X now links to a patch that fixes the vulnerability.

                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "C.W. Betts" <Computers57@...> wrote:

                > If you see a Preference Pane for Java, you have an Oracle installation and probably 7. Earlier versions of Java had a Java Preferencces app in /Applications/Utilities.
                > On Aug 29, 2012, at 5:45 PM, "em315" <em315@...> wrote:
                >
                > > If you install Mountain Lion (which does not include an Apple version of Java), and you then run any application that requires Java, Apple will prompt you to download Java, and version 7 will be installed. In System Preferences, the Java preference pane (in Mountain Lion) tells you which version you have.
                > >
                > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Bob Stern <bob_stern@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > The vulnerability only applies to version 7 of Java, not version 6.
                > > > OS X includes only Java 6, so an OS X user would not have Java 7
                > > > unless he went to the trouble of manually downloading it from Oracle
                > > > and installing it.

              • Phillip M. Jones,C.E.T.
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 1, 2012
                  I just Updated to 8.1 from 6.8 this very morning. Although it aske to
                  install Java it mentioned 6 not 7. and I see no Control panel in The
                  system preferences related to Java But I do see the application in
                  Utilities.

                  How do I update?

                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 2, 2012
                    It appears my original post was unhelpful. Apologies.