Re: [wpmac] A simple, free, low-tech WP file viewer for OS X

  • Smokey Ardisson
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 9, 2012
      On Thu Aug 9, 2012 5:06 am ((PDT)), "em315" <em315@...> wrote:

      > If you prefer the faster performance, open the WP Viewer
      >application in the AppleScript Editor, find the line near the top
      >that says "property make RTF : 1" and change 1 to 0. This is
      >documented in the file.

      FWIW, a "better" way to handle that would be to read an NSUserDefault
      for that instead of having people modify the app directly (it would
      also withstand app upgrades). It's slightly more cumbersome for the
      user (having to 'defaults write org.wpdos.wpviewer makeRTF -bool
      false' rather than editing a property) and a bit more code on your
      end, but cleaner overall.

      Since you appear to only be targeting Intel Macs, I think you can use
      the property list suite (introduced in 10.4 iirc) to do the reading
      as pure AppleScript, but "do shell script 'defaults read
      org.wpdos.wpviewer makeRTF'" will work, too (bools are stored
      internally as 1 and 0 and not converted by 'defaults read', so the
      output of defaults read is exactly what you'd want if you go that
      way).

      Smokey
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 9, 2012
        I've had in the back of my mind to figure out how to do something like that. I'll try to implement it over the next few days. Thank you.

        Another method I've used in other AppleScripts apps for changing default behavior is to check the name of the application. For example, my AppleScript wrapper for WordPrefect for DOS under DOSBox checks whether its name is"WPDOSBox51" or "WPDOSBox62" and launches the correct version of WPDOS (5.1 or 6.2 - the user has to supply the executables themselves) depending on its name.