Re: [wpmac] Re: A simple, free, low-tech WP file viewer for OS X

  • Chad Smith
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 8 8:44 AM
      Thank you for this!

      *- Chad W. Smith*

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 9 5:06 AM
        The current version is slightly revised again, with slightly improved logic. Also, when the text of the WP file is displayed in TextEdit, the underlying file is an RTF file, not an HTML file (though it looks exactly the same). This seems to be more useful for anyone who wants to save the converted file directly from TextEdit rather than simply copying the text to some other application.

        The conversion of the WP file to HTML and then RTF takes a fraction of a second longer than the conversion to HTML only. If you prefer the faster performance, open the WP Viewer application in the AppleScript Editor, find the line near the top that says "property make RTF : 1" and change 1 to 0. This is documented in the file. (Mountain Lion users should run the AppleScript once before making this change, so that OS X will not mistakenly think that someone has maliciously modified the file before it got to you.)

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 9 6:19 AM
          Stunning! Thank you
          --
          Geoff Gilbert
          Professor of Law

          Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
          Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
          essex.ac.uk)

          > em315 <mailto:em315@...>
          > 9 August 2012 13:06
          > The current version is slightly revised again, with slightly improved
          > logic. Also, when the text of the WP file is displayed in TextEdit,
          > the underlying file is an RTF file, not an HTML file (though it looks
          > exactly the same). This seems to be more useful for anyone who wants
          > to save the converted file directly from TextEdit rather than simply
          > copying the text to some other application.
          >
          > The conversion of the WP file to HTML and then RTF takes a fraction of
          > a second longer than the conversion to HTML only. If you prefer the
          > faster performance, open the WP Viewer application in the AppleScript
          > Editor, find the line near the top that says "property make RTF : 1"
          > and change 1 to 0. This is documented in the file. (Mountain Lion
          > users should run the AppleScript once before making this change, so
          > that OS X will not mistakenly think that someone has maliciously
          > modified the file before it got to you.)

          > .
          >
          > Chad Smith <mailto:chad78@...>
          > 8 August 2012 16:44
          > Thank you for this!
          >
          > *- Chad W. Smith*

          > .

        • Smokey Ardisson
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 9 10:56 AM
            On Thu Aug 9, 2012 5:06 am ((PDT)), "em315" <em315@...> wrote:

            > If you prefer the faster performance, open the WP Viewer
            >application in the AppleScript Editor, find the line near the top
            >that says "property make RTF : 1" and change 1 to 0. This is
            >documented in the file.

            FWIW, a "better" way to handle that would be to read an NSUserDefault
            for that instead of having people modify the app directly (it would
            also withstand app upgrades). It's slightly more cumbersome for the
            user (having to 'defaults write org.wpdos.wpviewer makeRTF -bool
            false' rather than editing a property) and a bit more code on your
            end, but cleaner overall.

            Since you appear to only be targeting Intel Macs, I think you can use
            the property list suite (introduced in 10.4 iirc) to do the reading
            as pure AppleScript, but "do shell script 'defaults read
            org.wpdos.wpviewer makeRTF'" will work, too (bools are stored
            internally as 1 and 0 and not converted by 'defaults read', so the
            output of defaults read is exactly what you'd want if you go that
            way).

            Smokey
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 9 12:29 PM
              I've had in the back of my mind to figure out how to do something like that. I'll try to implement it over the next few days. Thank you.

              Another method I've used in other AppleScripts apps for changing default behavior is to check the name of the application. For example, my AppleScript wrapper for WordPrefect for DOS under DOSBox checks whether its name is"WPDOSBox51" or "WPDOSBox62" and launches the correct version of WPDOS (5.1 or 6.2 - the user has to supply the executables themselves) depending on its name.