Re: A simple, free, low-tech WP file viewer for OS X

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 7, 2012
      Thanks, John!

      The vendor of the WPD Wizard app got in touch to correct a mistake I made in my previous message. I said that the WPD Wizard uses an old version of libwpd - and I concluded this because WPD Wizard can't display non-ASCII characters correctly, and that problem was finally completely fixed with the latest version of libwpd.

      I was wrong about the libwpd version in WPD Wizard; in fact it uses the latest version. But WPD Wizard none the less can't display non-ASCII characters correctly. But the vendor now knows about this problem, so I expect it will be fixed soon.

      Also, if anyone has WP files that my free WP Viewer can't open, please consider sending me copies so that I can make the program work better. One thing I'll try to do in a future version is build in the ability to decrypt password-protected WPDOS 5.x files, because the libwpd software is capable of opening those files if you already know the password.

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 8, 2012
        I've now posted a new version of this WP Viewer, with revised logic, so that it opens more files than it did before.

        Also, if you know the password of an encrypted WP 5.x file, the WP Viewer can now display the contents of that file. You'll be prompted to enter the password.

        The US$9.99 WordPerfect Viewer in the Mac App Store can also display the contents of encrypted WP 5.x files. The US$19.99 WPD Wizard in the App Store simply displays a warning message.

        My free AppleScript app is slower and less slick, and the AppleScript code is a terrible mess, but it does everything that the $9.99 WordPerfect Viewer can do, and does more than the $19.99 WPD Wizard can do - though I would expect substantial improvements in the WPD Wizard in the near future.

        The vendor of the WPD Wizard very kindly sent me a sample file created in WPDOS 2.1. I'd never seen such a thing before. You can now open it in my WP Viewer, and it also opens in the two commercial apps.

        Same download link as before:

        https://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WPViewer.zip
      • Chad Smith
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 8, 2012
          Thank you for this!

          *- Chad W. Smith*

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 9, 2012
            The current version is slightly revised again, with slightly improved logic. Also, when the text of the WP file is displayed in TextEdit, the underlying file is an RTF file, not an HTML file (though it looks exactly the same). This seems to be more useful for anyone who wants to save the converted file directly from TextEdit rather than simply copying the text to some other application.

            The conversion of the WP file to HTML and then RTF takes a fraction of a second longer than the conversion to HTML only. If you prefer the faster performance, open the WP Viewer application in the AppleScript Editor, find the line near the top that says "property make RTF : 1" and change 1 to 0. This is documented in the file. (Mountain Lion users should run the AppleScript once before making this change, so that OS X will not mistakenly think that someone has maliciously modified the file before it got to you.)

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 9, 2012
              Stunning! Thank you
              --
              Geoff Gilbert
              Professor of Law

              Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
              Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
              essex.ac.uk)

              > em315 <mailto:em315@...>
              > 9 August 2012 13:06
              > The current version is slightly revised again, with slightly improved
              > logic. Also, when the text of the WP file is displayed in TextEdit,
              > the underlying file is an RTF file, not an HTML file (though it looks
              > exactly the same). This seems to be more useful for anyone who wants
              > to save the converted file directly from TextEdit rather than simply
              > copying the text to some other application.
              >
              > The conversion of the WP file to HTML and then RTF takes a fraction of
              > a second longer than the conversion to HTML only. If you prefer the
              > faster performance, open the WP Viewer application in the AppleScript
              > Editor, find the line near the top that says "property make RTF : 1"
              > and change 1 to 0. This is documented in the file. (Mountain Lion
              > users should run the AppleScript once before making this change, so
              > that OS X will not mistakenly think that someone has maliciously
              > modified the file before it got to you.)

              > .
              >
              > Chad Smith <mailto:chad78@...>
              > 8 August 2012 16:44
              > Thank you for this!
              >
              > *- Chad W. Smith*

              > .

            • Smokey Ardisson
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 9, 2012
                On Thu Aug 9, 2012 5:06 am ((PDT)), "em315" <em315@...> wrote:

                > If you prefer the faster performance, open the WP Viewer
                >application in the AppleScript Editor, find the line near the top
                >that says "property make RTF : 1" and change 1 to 0. This is
                >documented in the file.

                FWIW, a "better" way to handle that would be to read an NSUserDefault
                for that instead of having people modify the app directly (it would
                also withstand app upgrades). It's slightly more cumbersome for the
                user (having to 'defaults write org.wpdos.wpviewer makeRTF -bool
                false' rather than editing a property) and a bit more code on your
                end, but cleaner overall.

                Since you appear to only be targeting Intel Macs, I think you can use
                the property list suite (introduced in 10.4 iirc) to do the reading
                as pure AppleScript, but "do shell script 'defaults read
                org.wpdos.wpviewer makeRTF'" will work, too (bools are stored
                internally as 1 and 0 and not converted by 'defaults read', so the
                output of defaults read is exactly what you'd want if you go that
                way).

                Smokey
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 9, 2012
                  I've had in the back of my mind to figure out how to do something like that. I'll try to implement it over the next few days. Thank you.

                  Another method I've used in other AppleScripts apps for changing default behavior is to check the name of the application. For example, my AppleScript wrapper for WordPrefect for DOS under DOSBox checks whether its name is"WPDOSBox51" or "WPDOSBox62" and launches the correct version of WPDOS (5.1 or 6.2 - the user has to supply the executables themselves) depending on its name.