US$9.99 WordPerfect Viewer in App Store updated

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4 2:08 PM
      Credit where credit is due: This commercial application (based on the libwpd conversion software) has been updated and is now far more useful than before. It seems to use libwpd 0.94, and opens documents with non-western characters. It also opens WP documents without special file extensions. It still doesn't open WPMac 1.x or WP 4.x documents, but there aren't that many of them around. It seems to use wpd2html from the libwpd converters, so it doesn't display format at all well, doesn't handle outline numbering, etc., but it's better than nothing. I

      Since I'm not a programmer I can't create a free version of this app, but over the past year or two I've experimented with an AppleScript that would use wpd2html to convert a WP document and display the resulting HTML in TextEdit. I thought of using wpd2odt for better output than is possible with wpd2html, but TextEdit can't display the graphics generated by wpd2odt and displays the raw code instead, so that isn't much use. If anyone has any better ideas, I'd be happy to experiment, though I don't have any of the skills that real programmers have.