Can't open WPMacApp on PowerBook G4 running OS 10.5.8

  • bcowley360
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 28, 2012
      I have been happy with OS 10.4 for some time. Unfortunately, I now have to run software that requires OS 10.5. Recently installed 10.5.8 and have obviously lost Classic (sigh). Ultimately will try to install Sheep Saver, so I can run legacy OS 9 apps, but I really need WP Mac. Excited to see WPMacApp (many thanks to creator) and downloaded it. The online documentation indicated that this is what I should use if I'm running OS 10.5.8 on a PPC machine. But when I try to open it, I get "You can't open the application "WPMacApp.app" because it is not supported on this architecture. Makes me think it only runs on Intel-based Macs, but online documentation suggests otherwise. Any suggestions regarding how to make it run on my PowerBook G4? I have scoured all the online documentation I can find.
      Many thanks and apologies in advance for this "simple" question.
      BDC
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 28, 2012
        Once you lose Classic, WP will only run under Sheepshaver. The
        integration that John and Ed have managed, though, makes the process
        seamless once installed.
        Geoff Gilbert
        Professor of Law
        Head of the School of Law
        School of Law and Human Rights Centre
        University of Essex
        Wivenhoe Park
        Colchester
        CO4 3SQ

        Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
        Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
        essex.ac.uk)

        > bcowley360 <mailto:bcowley360@...>
        > 28 July 2012 22:25
        > I have been happy with OS 10.4 for some time. Unfortunately, I now
        > have to run software that requires OS 10.5. Recently installed 10.5.8
        > and have obviously lost Classic (sigh). Ultimately will try to install
        > Sheep Saver, so I can run legacy OS 9 apps, but I really need WP Mac.
        > Excited to see WPMacApp (many thanks to creator) and downloaded it.
        > The online documentation indicated that this is what I should use if
        > I'm running OS 10.5.8 on a PPC machine. But when I try to open it, I
        > get "You can't open the application "WPMacApp.app" because it is not
        > supported on this architecture. Makes me think it only runs on
        > Intel-based Macs, but online documentation suggests otherwise. Any
        > suggestions regarding how to make it run on my PowerBook G4? I have
        > scoured all the online documentation I can find.
        > Many thanks and apologies in advance for this "simple" question.
        > BDC

        > .

      • Thomas Clayton
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 28, 2012
          HOW does he get it _to_ install? ?

          Tom Clayton

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 29, 2012
            Is it possible that the version of sheepshaver you have is Intel only?
            You can tell by doing "get info" on the sheepshaver application file.
            It probably says "Intel". The latest released "Universal" binary is
            at:

            http://www.xs4all.nl/~ronaldpr/sheepsha ... 120211.zip

            It should be safe to substitute this one for whatever you are trying to run.

            David

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 29, 2012
              I'm afraid that I updated the program without updating the documentation. It seems that it now runs only under Intel. Later today I'll try to post a link to an older version that may run on PowerPC, though it will work a bit differently from the way the documentation describes it. I won't have access to a PowerPC Mac until September, so I can't test this myself, unfortunately. I'll post an update here when I've created a link to the older version.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 29, 2012
                I had forgotten that I had already posted a version that I believe should work on PowerPC machines. It's not quite as up-to-date as the current version, but I hope it may be what you're looking for. The link is here:

                https://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WPMacPPC%20Installer.dmg

                Please let us know whether it works on your system. If it does, I'll update my documentation to include this link.

                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "bcowley360" <bcowley360@...> wrote:

                > I have been happy with OS 10.4 for some time. Unfortunately, I now have to run software that requires OS 10.5. Recently installed 10.5.8 and have obviously lost Classic (sigh). Ultimately will try to install Sheep Saver, so I can run legacy OS 9 apps, but I really need WP Mac. Excited to see WPMacApp (many thanks to creator) and downloaded it. The online documentation indicated that this is what I should use if I'm running OS 10.5.8 on a PPC machine. But when I try to open it, I get "You can't open the application "WPMacApp.app" because it is not supported on this architecture. Makes me think it only runs on Intel-based Macs, but online documentation suggests otherwise. Any suggestions regarding how to make it run on my PowerBook G4? I have scoured all the online documentation I can find.
                > Many thanks and apologies in advance for this "simple" question.
                > BDC

              • bcowley360
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 29, 2012
                  Haven't worked with it long. But it seems to work fine. HUGE thanks. Now I've got to explore the subtle ways in which it deals with files and drives. And when I get ambitious, perhaps setup SheepShaver so I can run other Classic apps.
                  Cheers,
                  Ben Cowley

                  > I had forgotten that I had already posted a version that I believe should work on PowerPC machines. It's not quite as up-to-date as the current version, but I hope it may be what you're looking for. The link is here:
                  >
                  > https://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WPMacPPC%20Installer.dmg
                  >
                  > Please let us know whether it works on your system. If it does, I'll update my documentation to include this link.
                • Chris Harshman
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 29, 2012
                    On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 5:09 AM, em315 <em315@...> wrote:

                    > I'm afraid that I updated the program without updating the documentation. It seems that it now runs only under Intel. Later today I'll try to post a link to an older version that may run on PowerPC, though it will work a bit differently from the way the documentation describes it. I won't have access to a PowerPC Mac until September, so I can't test this myself, unfortunately. I'll post an update here when I've created a link to the older version.<

                    I can make available an old G4/450 via LogMeIn or somesuch, if it'll help (my home connection is U-Verse, 6Mbps/1Mbps, so, not the fastest, but should be usable for light testing...).
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 29, 2012
                      Thanks for that report. I've updated my site at:

                      http://wpdos.org/mac-intel.html

                      so that it now has inks to both the version for 10.5 (PPC and Intel) and the slightly more up-to-date version for 10.6 or later.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 9, 2012
                        How well did this advice work?

                        I think that most Sheepshaver development has been done on Intel machines, for that architecture, although some releases have been universal. Less attention has been paid to SS for PPC -- which would be useful, essentially, only for a PPC machine running Leopard, as the OP has. Some SS builds run better on PPC and, if the OP has any difficulty with the latest build, trying a couple of others might be fruitful.

                        Could you let us know if you find an SS build that runs especially well on PPC? Thanks.

                        John R.