Re: Newbie here - looking for an affordable version of WordPerfect for the Mac - thank you!

  • Michele Graf - y
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 8, 2012
      Thank you, everyone, for your replies! I will follow up soon to get and download what I need via this group re my Mac. I'm so glad you let me know that I wasn't crazy, trying to find something that didn't actually exist in the way I was looking for it.

      Part of my desire to use WordPerfect again is that I loved the "reveal codes" aspect -- haven't found any other program that so willingly let me see what exactly was going on, and to be able to trace the source of glitches. Pages is an abridged word processing program that doesn't lend itself to doing anything as complex as automatically highlighting text, for instance, without several steps. Word throws in its own formatting that drives me nuts sometimes.

      The project I was most recently working on was a brochure, and I pushed Word as far as I could to make it do what I wanted. I was working on this in tandem with another person, and we both had to be able to edit the piece. He is a long-time user of WordPerfect, and I'd hoped that I'd be able to find a way to work with WP on the mac, so our future collaborative projects would be easier. He has to print our brochure, and exporting from Pages to Word makes a cleaner, sharper copy than exporting as a PDF.

      I'd love to get back to PageMaker, if it still has some of the awesome features it did 15 years ago, when I last worked with it. (I do a lot of graphic/text projects. When I only need to export or save to pdf, I often use PrintShop, mostly because I can access my non-Mac projects and work on them with the Mac.)

      Thanks again, folks, and I'll be back soon to take the next step.
      Michele
    • Peter Chisteckoff
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 8, 2012
        Agree with you on the Reveal code aspect of WP.  New iMac user also.  Have office on my windows computer and my new iMac, still miss WP.  RTF seems a god alternative.  I use Libre Office.   But I do have win 7 with WP on my laptop so can always fall back on that.  Couple things I also miss...having a real Delete button, not the iMac Delete which is actually a backspace, and an insert button.  Pete

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 8, 2012
          you can use any USB or BlueTooth keyboard with an iMac. Even those with a
          "real" delete key and an insert key.

          *- Chad W. Smith*

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 9, 2012
            If you're speaking of what WP Mac calls Delete Forward and Typeover, you can go to Preferences > Keyboard, and assign those commands any keystroke you want.

            John R.

            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Peter Chisteckoff <chistp@...> wrote:

            > ... Couple things I also miss...having a real Delete button, not the iMac Delete which is actually a backspace, and an insert button.  Pete
          • mxytsplyk
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 9, 2012
              Also, the Apple USB keyboard has a forward delete key, as well as a 10 key keypad. FWLIW, I think itʻs the best since the original IBM PC keyboard.

              Joe.

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 9, 2012
                Does it have an insert key?
                Pete

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 9, 2012
                  I'll try that.  Thanks for the info.
                  Pete C

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 9, 2012
                    Uh... Went to Preferences (under Safari) found no Keyboard.  Please advise.
                    Grasshopper

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 9, 2012
                      Hi Pete,

                      Not by default. but maybe programmatically via a high Function Key #.
                      Have a look at this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Keyboard

                      The USB one is 3rd from the bottom on the right.

                      Joe.

                    • rawars@att.net
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 11, 2012
                        fn+delete on the Mac Keyboard mimics the PC keyboard's delete key.
                        Richard

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 11, 2012
                          OP is looking for Insert too. Can that be mimicked also?