Re: [wpmac] Re: Newbie here - looking for an affordable version of WordPerfect for the Mac

  • Chad Smith
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 6, 2012
      You can also ensure absolute formatting consistency by using TXT files.

      The problem with any of those solutions is you are HIGHLY limited by trying
      to make sure it's going to look exactly the same no matter what program /
      platform / font base opens them.

      If your formatting matters so little that you can use RTF files and
      universal fonts and no special tabs - then why does it even matter how it
      looks when you open it? I mean if you are going to make a file like you
      are using a computer from 1989, you probably don't care about how it looks,
      in which case all those hoops you just jumped through to ensure
      standardized formatting are pointless. Just use a monospaced font,
      specifically Courier, and be done with it.

      If you are creating a document where formatting really matters - then you
      are going to have to either export it to a PDF, or use software that
      everyone involved has access to. Sadly - that rarely includes WordPerfect
      anymore.

      *- Chad*

    • Thomas Clayton
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 15, 2012
        The WordPerfect available "here" is the Mac OS 7, 8, 9 version 3.5e ("4") that has been (thru LOTS of diligent effort and ingenuity) made to run within an "emulator" (most often, "SheepShaver") thereby ALLOWING the 'committed' (pun intended) devotees to continue to use it as their main document creation software. Believe it or not.

        (Whew. That was one Llooong run-on sentence.)

        IF you were, at one time ('back when'), a user of WP for the Mac, THEN what is available thru and with the help of this group, is a means to, once again, run WP on a modern Macintosh.

        IF you have NO interest to doing that, then it would be better to try something else for your 'word processing'.

        Sincerely,

        Thomas Clayton
        (who came here after finding a diskette set of WP 3.5 at a 'Friend's of the Library' sale and, just hasn't UNsubscribed - yet - after ?five years.)