Re: [wpmac] Re: Newbie here - looking for an affordable version of WordPerfect for the Mac

  • Charlie Nancarrow
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 6 7:18 PM
      You�ll loose exact formatting with any format you choose, if you are �

      opening it in a different program
      a different version of the program
      on a different platform
      on a different machine with a different set of fonts

      The only way to ensure formatting remains intact is to use PDF or similar portable formats.
      This of course leaves the file somewhat uneditable � which may, in fact, be the desired thing.

      I wouldn�t want to be sending any kind of contract, invoice, or other such communication in a format where it can be changed at the other end.

      Having said all that, with a little planning and correct use of Word, WP or other word processor, you can make your documents significantly more portable with their formatting more likely to remain intact.

      A few guidelines to start �

      Use a common platform agnostic font
      Helvetica/Arial/Times are a good start
      Wise use of tabs (standard tabs, not custom spaced tabs will be more successful here)
      Correct use of hard page breaks and section breaks
      Dont use carriage returns to flow text to the next page, use a page break.
      Good use of white space, without loading pages right up to the bottom will help (this allows for a bit of expansion, contraction without affecting the overall format of the document
      Don�t use spaces to format or align anything, this is always unpredictable when moving a document between machines.
      Use image formats that are platform independent, jpeg is the most successful here.
      GIF, TIFF, BMP or similar can have platform specific idiosyncrasies that can mess with things.

      I hope this helps.

      Charlie.

      --
      all things bright and technical...

      On 07/07/2012, at 3:59 AM, userbimbob wrote:

      > just curious, but wouldn't any program that saved/opened rtf work well enough for sharing?
      >
      > back in OS8 > OS9 days, i used to have mucho trouble with opening .doc files <formatting and embedded pictures blown to hell> and having to spend time cleaning them up in BBEdit lite
      >
      > OSX and TextEdit fixed some of the text import issues - so now m$oft are creating .docx files that are even worse - but i found a free online site that converts .docx to pdf so i can at least get the text out in one piece - http://convertonlinefree.com/
      >
      > > If you're working on a Mac and you need to exchange documents with other people, then Word is the only sensible choice.
    • Charlie Nancarrow
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 6 7:40 PM
        And somewhat ironically, the formatting of my email got lost a bit as it churned through the yahoo servers.

        So another one of those guidelines would be -

        Don�t use platform specific characters like curly quote marks or extended dashes that are anything but the short hyphen!

        --

        On 07/07/2012, at 12:18 PM, Charlie Nancarrow wrote:

        > You�ll loose exact formatting with any format you choose, if you are �
        >
        > opening it in a different program
        > a different version of the program
        > on a different platform
        > on a different machine with a different set of fonts
        >
        > The only way to ensure formatting remains intact is to use PDF or similar portable formats.
        > This of course leaves the file somewhat uneditable � which may, in fact, be the desired thing.
        >

        > I wouldn�t want to be sending any kind of contract, invoice, or other such communication in a format where it can be changed at the other end.
        >

        > Having said all that, with a little planning and correct use of Word, WP or other word processor, you can make your documents significantly more portable with their formatting more likely to remain intact.
        >

        > A few guidelines to start �
        >

        > Use a common platform agnostic font
        > Helvetica/Arial/Times are a good start
        > Wise use of tabs (standard tabs, not custom spaced tabs will be more successful here)
        > Correct use of hard page breaks and section breaks
        > Dont use carriage returns to flow text to the next page, use a page break.
        > Good use of white space, without loading pages right up to the bottom will help (this allows for a bit of expansion, contraction without affecting the overall format of the document
        > Don�t use spaces to format or align anything, this is always unpredictable when moving a document between machines.
        > Use image formats that are platform independent, jpeg is the most successful here.
        > GIF, TIFF, BMP or similar can have platform specific idiosyncrasies that can mess with things.
        >

        > I hope this helps.
        >
        > Charlie.
        >
        > --
        > all things bright and technical...
        >

        > On 07/07/2012, at 3:59 AM, userbimbob wrote:
        >
        >> just curious, but wouldn't any program that saved/opened rtf work well enough for sharing?
        >>
        >> back in OS8 > OS9 days, i used to have mucho trouble with opening .doc files <formatting and embedded pictures blown to hell> and having to spend time cleaning them up in BBEdit lite
        >>
        >> OSX and TextEdit fixed some of the text import issues - so now m$oft are creating .docx files that are even worse - but i found a free online site that converts .docx to pdf so i can at least get the text out in one piece - http://convertonlinefree.com/
        >>
        >>> If you're working on a Mac and you need to exchange documents with other people, then Word is the only sensible choice.

      • Chad Smith
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 6 8:20 PM
          You can also ensure absolute formatting consistency by using TXT files.

          The problem with any of those solutions is you are HIGHLY limited by trying
          to make sure it's going to look exactly the same no matter what program /
          platform / font base opens them.

          If your formatting matters so little that you can use RTF files and
          universal fonts and no special tabs - then why does it even matter how it
          looks when you open it? I mean if you are going to make a file like you
          are using a computer from 1989, you probably don't care about how it looks,
          in which case all those hoops you just jumped through to ensure
          standardized formatting are pointless. Just use a monospaced font,
          specifically Courier, and be done with it.

          If you are creating a document where formatting really matters - then you
          are going to have to either export it to a PDF, or use software that
          everyone involved has access to. Sadly - that rarely includes WordPerfect
          anymore.

          *- Chad*

        • Thomas Clayton
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 15 11:00 PM
            The WordPerfect available "here" is the Mac OS 7, 8, 9 version 3.5e ("4") that has been (thru LOTS of diligent effort and ingenuity) made to run within an "emulator" (most often, "SheepShaver") thereby ALLOWING the 'committed' (pun intended) devotees to continue to use it as their main document creation software. Believe it or not.

            (Whew. That was one Llooong run-on sentence.)

            IF you were, at one time ('back when'), a user of WP for the Mac, THEN what is available thru and with the help of this group, is a means to, once again, run WP on a modern Macintosh.

            IF you have NO interest to doing that, then it would be better to try something else for your 'word processing'.

            Sincerely,

            Thomas Clayton
            (who came here after finding a diskette set of WP 3.5 at a 'Friend's of the Library' sale and, just hasn't UNsubscribed - yet - after ?five years.)