Newbie here - looking for an affordable version of WordPerfect for the Mac

  • m42graf.roadwriter
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 5, 2012
      I'm sure the info is in here somewhere, but I can't quite figure it out.

      I used Word Perfect for a number of years and loved it, then upgraded computers in the windows line for about 15 years or more. Right now I have a very old version on an equally old XP computer that's mostly used for email and internet surfing; I think the program is still at least somewhat functional.

      I switched over to the Mac for my desktop computer in Jan 2011, have OS X Lion 10.7.4, and will be upgrading to Mountain Lion, or whatever comes next, I'm sure. (I have an iPad and iPhone, and will probably replace hubby's old XP with another Mac when it dies.)

      I understand that it's possible to buy a copy of software that's one version older than the current one, for the Mac as well as for other pc's. I ordered one via eBay that says it will work on my Windows 7 (64 bit) laptop, XP, Vista, but did not mention anything about Macs -- whether it would or wouldn't work.

      I've done several google searches, and eBay searches, but haven't found anything except on the WordPerfect site for ver. 6, at around $250, and even that isn't clear about the Mac.

      Right now, I'm resisting loading Word Office Suite on my Mac, but need something that works well enough to deal with docs that have to hold format when exchanged with other people. Pages just doesn't do it right for me.

      Thanks for any help you can give me.
      Michele
    • Gilbert, Geoff
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 5, 2012
        Michele
        There may be some confusion here. WPWin will not run under OSX. If you buy Parallels or VMWare Fusion, you can then load Windows on that and run WPWin. Alternatively, you can download SheepShaver and WPMac for free from this forum, but WPMac is different from WPWin and there is no single cross platform format. There is no version of WP for OSX
        Geoff

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 5, 2012
          If you're working on a Mac and you need to exchange documents with other people, then Word is the only sensible choice. LibreOffice also gets the job done, and is free, and can open WordPerfect documents and save them in Microsoft Word format, so you might want to try that before spending money on Microsoft Office.

          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "m42graf.roadwriter" <m42graf.roadwriter@...> wrote:

          > I'm sure the info is in here somewhere, but I can't quite figure it out.
          >
          > I used Word Perfect for a number of years and loved it, then upgraded computers in the windows line for about 15 years or more. Right now I have a very old version on an equally old XP computer that's mostly used for email and internet surfing; I think the program is still at least somewhat functional.
          >
          > I switched over to the Mac for my desktop computer in Jan 2011, have OS X Lion 10.7.4, and will be upgrading to Mountain Lion, or whatever comes next, I'm sure. (I have an iPad and iPhone, and will probably replace hubby's old XP with another Mac when it dies.)
          >
          > I understand that it's possible to buy a copy of software that's one version older than the current one, for the Mac as well as for other pc's. I ordered one via eBay that says it will work on my Windows 7 (64 bit) laptop, XP, Vista, but did not mention anything about Macs -- whether it would or wouldn't work.
          >
          > I've done several google searches, and eBay searches, but haven't found anything except on the WordPerfect site for ver. 6, at around $250, and even that isn't clear about the Mac.

          > Right now, I'm resisting loading Word Office Suite on my Mac, but need something that works well enough to deal with docs that have to hold format when exchanged with other people. Pages just doesn't do it right for me.
          >
          > Thanks for any help you can give me.
          > Michele

        • userbimbob
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 6, 2012
            just curious, but wouldn't any program that saved/opened rtf work well enough for sharing?

            back in OS8 > OS9 days, i used to have mucho trouble with opening .doc files <formatting and embedded pictures blown to hell> and having to spend time cleaning them up in BBEdit lite

            OSX and TextEdit fixed some of the text import issues - so now m$oft are creating .docx files that are even worse - but i found a free online site that converts .docx to pdf so i can at least get the text out in one piece - http://convertonlinefree.com/

            > If you're working on a Mac and you need to exchange documents with other people, then Word is the only sensible choice.
          • Charlie Nancarrow
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 6, 2012
              You�ll loose exact formatting with any format you choose, if you are �

              opening it in a different program
              a different version of the program
              on a different platform
              on a different machine with a different set of fonts

              The only way to ensure formatting remains intact is to use PDF or similar portable formats.
              This of course leaves the file somewhat uneditable � which may, in fact, be the desired thing.

              I wouldn�t want to be sending any kind of contract, invoice, or other such communication in a format where it can be changed at the other end.

              Having said all that, with a little planning and correct use of Word, WP or other word processor, you can make your documents significantly more portable with their formatting more likely to remain intact.

              A few guidelines to start �

              Use a common platform agnostic font
              Helvetica/Arial/Times are a good start
              Wise use of tabs (standard tabs, not custom spaced tabs will be more successful here)
              Correct use of hard page breaks and section breaks
              Dont use carriage returns to flow text to the next page, use a page break.
              Good use of white space, without loading pages right up to the bottom will help (this allows for a bit of expansion, contraction without affecting the overall format of the document
              Don�t use spaces to format or align anything, this is always unpredictable when moving a document between machines.
              Use image formats that are platform independent, jpeg is the most successful here.
              GIF, TIFF, BMP or similar can have platform specific idiosyncrasies that can mess with things.

              I hope this helps.

              Charlie.

              --
              all things bright and technical...

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 6, 2012
                And somewhat ironically, the formatting of my email got lost a bit as it churned through the yahoo servers.

                So another one of those guidelines would be -

                Don�t use platform specific characters like curly quote marks or extended dashes that are anything but the short hyphen!

                --

                On 07/07/2012, at 12:18 PM, Charlie Nancarrow wrote:

                > You�ll loose exact formatting with any format you choose, if you are �
                >
                > opening it in a different program
                > a different version of the program
                > on a different platform
                > on a different machine with a different set of fonts
                >
                > The only way to ensure formatting remains intact is to use PDF or similar portable formats.
                > This of course leaves the file somewhat uneditable � which may, in fact, be the desired thing.
                >

                > I wouldn�t want to be sending any kind of contract, invoice, or other such communication in a format where it can be changed at the other end.
                >

                > Having said all that, with a little planning and correct use of Word, WP or other word processor, you can make your documents significantly more portable with their formatting more likely to remain intact.
                >

                > A few guidelines to start �
                >

                > Use a common platform agnostic font
                > Helvetica/Arial/Times are a good start
                > Wise use of tabs (standard tabs, not custom spaced tabs will be more successful here)
                > Correct use of hard page breaks and section breaks
                > Dont use carriage returns to flow text to the next page, use a page break.
                > Good use of white space, without loading pages right up to the bottom will help (this allows for a bit of expansion, contraction without affecting the overall format of the document
                > Don�t use spaces to format or align anything, this is always unpredictable when moving a document between machines.
                > Use image formats that are platform independent, jpeg is the most successful here.
                > GIF, TIFF, BMP or similar can have platform specific idiosyncrasies that can mess with things.
                >

                > I hope this helps.
                >
                > Charlie.
                >
                > --
                > all things bright and technical...
                >

                > On 07/07/2012, at 3:59 AM, userbimbob wrote:
                >
                >> just curious, but wouldn't any program that saved/opened rtf work well enough for sharing?
                >>
                >> back in OS8 > OS9 days, i used to have mucho trouble with opening .doc files <formatting and embedded pictures blown to hell> and having to spend time cleaning them up in BBEdit lite
                >>
                >> OSX and TextEdit fixed some of the text import issues - so now m$oft are creating .docx files that are even worse - but i found a free online site that converts .docx to pdf so i can at least get the text out in one piece - http://convertonlinefree.com/
                >>
                >>> If you're working on a Mac and you need to exchange documents with other people, then Word is the only sensible choice.

              • Chad Smith
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 6, 2012
                  You can also ensure absolute formatting consistency by using TXT files.

                  The problem with any of those solutions is you are HIGHLY limited by trying
                  to make sure it's going to look exactly the same no matter what program /
                  platform / font base opens them.

                  If your formatting matters so little that you can use RTF files and
                  universal fonts and no special tabs - then why does it even matter how it
                  looks when you open it? I mean if you are going to make a file like you
                  are using a computer from 1989, you probably don't care about how it looks,
                  in which case all those hoops you just jumped through to ensure
                  standardized formatting are pointless. Just use a monospaced font,
                  specifically Courier, and be done with it.

                  If you are creating a document where formatting really matters - then you
                  are going to have to either export it to a PDF, or use software that
                  everyone involved has access to. Sadly - that rarely includes WordPerfect
                  anymore.

                  *- Chad*

                • Thomas Clayton
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 15, 2012
                    The WordPerfect available "here" is the Mac OS 7, 8, 9 version 3.5e ("4") that has been (thru LOTS of diligent effort and ingenuity) made to run within an "emulator" (most often, "SheepShaver") thereby ALLOWING the 'committed' (pun intended) devotees to continue to use it as their main document creation software. Believe it or not.

                    (Whew. That was one Llooong run-on sentence.)

                    IF you were, at one time ('back when'), a user of WP for the Mac, THEN what is available thru and with the help of this group, is a means to, once again, run WP on a modern Macintosh.

                    IF you have NO interest to doing that, then it would be better to try something else for your 'word processing'.

                    Sincerely,

                    Thomas Clayton
                    (who came here after finding a diskette set of WP 3.5 at a 'Friend's of the Library' sale and, just hasn't UNsubscribed - yet - after ?five years.)