When trying to open WP Converter msg says cannot open with Sheep Shaver running

  • Robert G Ingersoll
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 16, 2012
      New iMac user. Former Windows user. Running OSX 10.7.4 Friend of friend put WP Converter on my new iMac. Not even sure what Sheep Shaver is although wikipedia gave some info. Not software guy so some of the terms go over my head but I do look them up to try and figure things out. Electronics background in hardware not software. 68 yrs old.
      Basically looking for a program that would allow me to view, write, print and save my WP documents as WP documents to an external USB drive. Not even sure if WP Converter is the best choice for that. Reason I like WP is the reveal codes function.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 16, 2012
        Probably best to invest in Parallels and I hope you will already have a
        copy of Windows and WPWin - moving to WPMac is a very big change.
        --
        Geoff Gilbert
        Professor of Law

        Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
        Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
        essex.ac.uk)

        > Robert G Ingersoll <mailto:chistp@...>
        > 17 June 2012 04:32
        > New iMac user. Former Windows user. Running OSX 10.7.4 Friend of
        > friend put WP Converter on my new iMac. Not even sure what Sheep
        > Shaver is although wikipedia gave some info. Not software guy so some
        > of the terms go over my head but I do look them up to try and figure
        > things out. Electronics background in hardware not software. 68 yrs old.
        > Basically looking for a program that would allow me to view, write,
        > print and save my WP documents as WP documents to an external USB
        > drive. Not even sure if WP Converter is the best choice for that.
        > Reason I like WP is the reveal codes function.

      • Peter Chisteckoff
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 16, 2012
          No copy of Windows.  Came installed without disks like my iMac.   Do have WP8 for Windows.  Not sure what parallels is but will check it out.  I do have a Laptop with Windows 7 so can use that if all else fails.  May also try and repair my Windows desktop with what I believe is a problematic video card.  Thanks for the answer.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 17, 2012
            If you formerly used WordPerfect for Windows, then you can still use it on your Mac, by getting and installing (1) VMware Fusion (or Parallels Desktop, though VMware Fusion is cleaner and simpler), (2) a copy of Windows XP or Windows 7 to run "under'" VMware or Parallels, and (3) your installation disk for WordPerfect for Windows. Just follow the instructions in VMWare or Parallels.

            If you formerly used WordPerfect for DOS, you can easily use it on your Mac, by installing the WPDOSBox for OS X application, found here:

            http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/wpdosmac-dosbox.html

            The WP Converter application converts WP files to RTF or other formats for use in other programs. It won't help if you want to edit and save the files in WP format.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 17, 2012
              You can buy a copy of Windows XP on eBay for US$50 or less; any version will do, as long as it is a FULL version, and not a "recovery" or "reinstallation" disk from a hardware vendor.

              I prefer VMware Fusion to Parallels (less clutter on the OS X desktop) but they're both perfectly OK. Both let you run WordPerfect for Windows in a window on the OS X desktop, or even full-screen.

              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Peter Chisteckoff <chistp@...> wrote:

              > No copy of Windows.  Came installed without disks like my iMac.   Do have WP8 for Windows.  Not sure what parallels is but will check it out.  I do have a Laptop with Windows 7 so can use that if all else fails.  May also try and repair my Windows desktop with what I believe is a problematic video card.  Thanks for the answer.

            • J Busch
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 17, 2012
                MacUpdate has a promotion going for the next three days where you get Parallels and some other Mac software for $50 (Parallels goes for ~$80 on their homepage, amazon currently shipping for $51). Find the bundle deal at: http://www.mupromo.com/

                Fusion is included in these type deals every once in awhile too, though these deals only happen once a quarter and never know what will be included.

                Jonathan
                from my iPhone