Re: [wpmac] SheepShaver Stalls on Startup

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 13, 2012
      How much memory have you allocated to SS?
      Geoff Gilbert
      Professor of Law
      Head of the School of Law
      School of Law and Human Rights Centre
      University of Essex
      Wivenhoe Park
      Colchester
      CO4 3SQ

      Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
      Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
      essex.ac.uk)

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 13, 2012
        The best source of troubleshooting information for SheepShaver is the forum at www.emaculation.com. Spell out every detail of your setup there, and you'll probably get a good answer.

        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "rifetube" <bcheb@...> wrote:

        > HI,
        >
        > I've been using SS for several years now without any major problems and now it's decided to stall in the startup process...guess its my turn now.
        >
        > What happens is that SS starts normally and you see the startup progress bar start and move along until it reaches about 20% completion and then stalls. If I wait for a few minutes to see if the progress continues, nothing happens except that the cooling fans in my MB Pro go into high speed. I had a similar problem several months ago but ran Disk Warrier on the mounted disk image (SS not running) and it fixed the problem. Unfortunately it didn't work this time.
        >
        > I'm currently running OS X 10.5.8 on my MacBook Pro and running version 2.3 of SS and OS Classic 8.6 on the SS startup volume. Any help, hints, suggestions are gratefully appreciated.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Bill Cheb

      • Brian Browne
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 14, 2012
          I had a similar problem a few months ago, with virtually the same setup (10.5.8 on my MBP, SS 2.3). I couldn't get a handle on the cause so I re-installed SS from a fresh download of the image and it's still working perfectly, although it does seem to make the fans scream a bit louder. I kept the original installation for a while (to see if I could find a cause and thereby avoid the problem in future) but gave up eventually. Unless your SS installation is very heavily customised I'd suggest the fresh install as the way forward. Even if you want to put the time into repairing the original, it'd be no harm to have a 'spare mac' so you can copy over system files, extensions, etc for some old-fashioned 'one extension at a time' troubleshooting.

          Brian.

        • hjlubansky@prodigy.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 15, 2012
            One note on what appears to be a SS image problem is that if Disk Warrior can't fix it, possibly your image got damaged enough that it can't be repaired this time. This might mean that you might have to reinstall SS to fix the problem. If you have a backup copy of your SS image, you might try replacing your current image with the backup copy, to see if that solves the problem. HTH.

            Harry Lubansky

            > The best source of troubleshooting information for SheepShaver is the forum at www.emaculation.com. Spell out every detail of your setup there, and you'll probably get a good answer.
            >
            > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "rifetube" <bcheb@> wrote:
            > >
            > > HI,
            > >
            > > I've been using SS for several years now without any major problems and now it's decided to stall in the startup process...guess its my turn now.
            > >
            > > What happens is that SS starts normally and you see the startup progress bar start and move along until it reaches about 20% completion and then stalls. If I wait for a few minutes to see if the progress continues, nothing happens except that the cooling fans in my MB Pro go into high speed. I had a similar problem several months ago but ran Disk Warrier on the mounted disk image (SS not running) and it fixed the problem. Unfortunately it didn't work this time.
            > >
            > > I'm currently running OS X 10.5.8 on my MacBook Pro and running version 2.3 of SS and OS Classic 8.6 on the SS startup volume. Any help, hints, suggestions are gratefully appreciated.
            > >
            > > Regards,
            > > Bill Cheb

          • billcheb
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 15, 2012
              Hi Geoff,

              Thanks for your response. When this problem first appeared I did do a quick check of the SS prefs and all seemed fine. Then after I read your question about the memory allocation I took another look and it was set to the max of 1024 MB. This triggered a distant memory of something I'd read about this so I reduced the allocation a little and tried launching SS again, and it worked!...go figure.

              With regards,
              Bill cheb

              > How much memory have you allocated to SS?
              > Geoff
              > --
              > Geoff Gilbert
              > Professor of Law
              > Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Refugee Law
              > Head of the School of Law
              > School of Law and Human Rights Centre
              > University of Essex
              > Wivenhoe Park
              > Colchester
              > CO4 3SQ

            • billcheb
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 15, 2012
                Hi Brian,

                Thanks for your comments.

                Yes, I was on the verge of doing a fresh install until Geoff's question about memory allocation triggered my memory about this aspect. As I posted earlier, I reduced the memory allocation in the SS prefs and now it's working again. But your point about having a 'spare mac' on the MBP is well taken. My ultimate backup however is my old 'Pismo' PowerBook with a G4 processor running 10.4 and OS9 Classic on my home network. Your comments about one extension at a time troubleshooting does bring back some fond (and some not so fond) memories of the Classic days.
                With regards,
                Bill Cheb

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 15, 2012
                  Bill
                  I only guessed because the same thing happened to me and that's the fix
                  I came to. SS doesn't like too much memory allocated in its Prefs?