Re: [wpmac] [ANN] SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install 1.4

    Message 1 of 7 , May 23 11:57 AM
      John
      So many thanks yet again
      Geoff Gilbert
      Professor of Law
      Head of the School of Law
      School of Law and Human Rights Centre
      University of Essex
      Wivenhoe Park
      Colchester
      CO4 3SQ

      Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
      Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
      essex.ac.uk)

      Message 2 of 7 , May 23 3:38 PM
        Geoff, you're most welcome. Thank you for being a moderator of this group and for your astute testing of so much that it has.

        > John
        > So many thanks yet again
        > Geoff
        > --
        > Geoff Gilbert
        > Professor of Law
        > Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Refugee Law
        > Head of the School of Law
        > School of Law and Human Rights Centre
        > University of Essex
        > Wivenhoe Park
        > Colchester
        > CO4 3SQ
        >
        > Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
        > Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
        > Email: geoff (for those outside the University, add @ followed by
        > essex.ac.uk)
        >

        > > John R <mailto:johnrethorst@...>
        > > 22 May 2012 02:33
        > > New in this version:
        > >
        > > Better, faster integration with the OSX Dictionary and the fine, free
        > > Nisus Thesaurus. Note that the lookup utility will start Dictionary or
        > > Thesaurus if they are not already running, so lookup may seem slow the
        > > first time. Once the applications are running, lookup is faster.
        > >
        > > Regular Expression (Regex) search is pre-installed.
        > >
        > > 1 gigabyte virtual disk
        > >
        > > Sheepshaver opens to full screen with disappearing OSX menu bar
        > > (appears again when mouse cursor is at top of screen).
        > >

        > > If you have a current installation of SS-WP, with document files to
        > > keep, back up those files to your Unix disk (a good idea anyway).
        > > Delete the SheepShaver folder from the Applications folder of your
        > > Home folder, and run this install.
        > >
        > > Free in the Links section here, in the Sheepshaver and Basilisk folder.
        > >
        > > John R.

        > > .

      • Jim Voelzow
        Message 3 of 7 , May 23 6:53 PM
          I have a 3 year old version of WPMacPPC running on my MacBook Pro w/ 10.6.8. Recalling the hoops (rom, printing, OS) I had to jump through to get it up and running reliably (which it is), I am wondering if it is advantageous for me to install a newer version of either WPMacPPC or the latest SheepShaver-WordPerfect (which I understand is set up for Intel machines and has some bells and whistles.)

          If it is advantageous, which one is recommended, and how would I effect the installation over what I have? (i.e., Are there specific instructions available as to what I need/don't need, what to keep/copy, how to ensure printing, etc.) As I said, WPMacPPC from 2009 is working, and I hope these aren't stupid questions, but I'm not interested in fixing what ain't broken for marginal (?) gains.

          Lastly, thanks to the both of you who have developed the tools allowing us to continue to use the best word processing app ever.

          Jim Voelzow
          Labor Relations Consultant
          Message 4 of 7 , May 23 11:53 PM
            If you're referring to my WPMacPPC Appliance, and you have it working, I don't see any strong reason to update it. If you're interested in trying it, however, you can do so without interfering with the one you've got. The download is here:

            http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/mac-intel.html

            This one has a printing system that doesn't require any hoop-jumping to set up, but if you have WP up and running already, then there's no advantage to setting up another version. WordPerfect itself is the same as it's been for the past dozen years.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 1, 2012
              Right -- Sheepshaver and WordPerfect themselves haven't changed (Sheepshaver occasionally gets a new build, but the Oct 2009 one still seems best). If what you have works well, that's what I'd keep.

              It's worth noting, though, that WPMacApp benefits from extensive development in printing; I'm guessing that most of that could be added to an existing installation. The last few versions of Sheepshaver-WordPerfect Install have mostly had updates to the virtual disk. What you might want to do is, using Sheepshaver Prefs, add a disk to your installation, copy what you like onto your [virtual] startup disk, and then remove the extra disk.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 2, 2012
                About the WPMacApp - I should mention that the printing system on the virtual disk works together with the whole application (the Applescript application bundle that launches Sheepshaver), and so the virtual disk from the WPMacApp probably won't work smoothly when used separately from the WPMacApp itself. The WPMacApp application bundle sets up a hidden folder and folder action scripts on the OS X system and uses them for transferring files, some (not all) printing functions, etc.