Re: WP > web browser: doesn't work

    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 17 1:46 PM
      Smokey,

      Brilliant detective work!! Doesn't this suggest that it should be possible to take the routine that you described and add it to the script that's already running in the background in SheepShaver-WP?

      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 17 1:48 PM
        Works!

        Not only that, we already have a stay-open script running, to look for text files from "Open WP Files", so I just have this handler write the URL to a text file and drop it in the watched folder on the OSX side, as I do with dictionary lookup entries. Runs like a charm.

        _So_ cool! WP's integration with OSX is very nice to have.

        Thanks so much, Smokey and Ed. This will be part of the next update to Sheepshaver-WordPerfect Install, which will also support the fine Nisus Thesaurus just as it now supports Apple's OSX Dictionary, and which will have a 1gb volume, and some other neat stuff.

        I'll also work up a script for OSX Classic systems, so WP can send URLs to browsers that are packages rather than simple files, i.e. most or all of them.

        Thanks again,
        John R.

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 18 11:13 PM
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "sardisson" <smokey.ardisson@...> wrote:

          > It later occurred to me that event dispatch might work differently in "pure" Mac OS inside SheepShaver than with Classic+Mac OS X, so you probably want to double-check that the initial WWW!OURL still gets lost before doing "Stay Open". That said, I expect that the problem *will* still exist if I'm close to being right about its cause…

          OS 10.4 running Classic needs a stay-open script. Sheepshaver does not. Interesting.

          >I would have expected WP (and
          everything else of that era) to send the old
          Spyglass "open url" (WWW!OURL) event

          Just curious, what does Spyglass mean here?

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 19 6:20 AM
            Spyglass Mosaic was one of the first commercial web browsers; it was a licensed version of NCSA Mosaic (the first graphical browser).

            > >I would have expected WP (and
            > everything else of that era) to send the old
            > Spyglass "open url" (WWW!OURL) event
            >
            > Just curious, what does Spyglass mean here?
          • Smokey Ardisson
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 19 1:24 PM
              On Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:13 pm ((PDT)), "John R" <johnrethorst@...> wrote:

              >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com,
              >"sardisson" <smokey.ardisson@...> wrote:
              >
              >> It later occurred to me that event dispatch
              >>might work differently in "pure" Mac OS inside
              >>SheepShaver than with Classic+Mac OS X, so you
              >>probably want to double-check that the initial
              >>WWW!OURL still gets lost before doing "Stay
              >>Open". That said, I expect that the problem
              >>*will* still exist if I'm close to being right
              >>about its cause…
              >
              >OS 10.4 running Classic needs a stay-open
              >script. Sheepshaver does not. Interesting.

              Interesting, indeed. It doesn't entirely
              surprise me, although it's sort-of sad that
              Classic was broken in that way, given the
              excellent integration it had with Mac OS X
              ("sort-of" because I'm sure writing an AppleEvent
              handler in AppleScript is an edge case, and doing
              it to support hooking Classic apps up to modern
              browsers even moreso ;-) ).

              >>I would have expected WP (and
              >everything else of that era) to send the old
              >Spyglass "open url" (WWW!OURL) event
              >
              >Just curious, what does Spyglass mean here?

              Back in the early 90s, Spyglass introduced an API
              for OS integration for web browsers (and
              implemented the API in its commercial Mosaic
              variant on the Mac and Windows; Microsoft would
              later license Spyglass Mosaic as the basis for
              early versions of IE); the API used to be
              described at
              http://www.spyglass.com:4040/newtechnology/integration/iapi.htm,
              but a copy can today be found at
              http://www3.di.uminho.pt/~fln/NetscapeAPI/iapi.html.
              On the Mac it was implemented as an AppleScript
              suite and is commonly called "the Spyglass Suite".

              "Classic" Netscape and IE supported it, or most
              of it, OmniWeb supported some of it, and older
              versions of iCab appeared to have the most
              complete implementation of the suite (iCab 4 has
              only a small subset). Although Mozilla had an
              implementation, it was not complete or was not
              hooked up (I'm not sure which), so neither
              Mozilla/Mozilla-based Netscapes nor later Firefox
              supported the Spyglass suite, and Safari only has
              hidden support for the WWW!OURL event, so the
              suite eventually died out. Up through about
              Adobe's version 5 of Dreamweaver, Dreamweaver
              still sent that event, but an Adobe developer
              told me a few years ago the next version would
              finally switch to GURLGURL.

              Another early internet-related AppleScript suite
              definition is the URL suite, defined by John
              Norstad and others:
              http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/mac/comm/newswatcher/url-ae-standard-1-1.txt
              GetURL (GURLGURL) itself survived as "open
              location" in the OS, but the rest of the suite
              had only limited support in the big browsers, so
              it also pretty much withered away by the time we
              made it to Mac OS X

              So ends today's lesson on the history of web
              browser AppleScripting; class dismissed! :-)

              Smokey
            • Chris Harshman
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 19 4:23 PM
                On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 6:20 AM, em315 <em315@...> wrote:

                > **
                >
                > Spyglass Mosaic was one of the first commercial web browsers; it was a
                > licensed version of NCSA Mosaic (the first graphical browser).

                Mosaic wasn't the first graphical browser; I know Viola came before it, and
                I think there was another project that TBL was in some way affiliated with
                that was even earlier, and ran on DEC Ultrix machines (it was installed on
                a microVAX 3100 when I was an undergrad)... But it was the first successful
                browser. Marc Andreesen was one of (if not the?) principal developer of
                Mosaic while he was a student at NCSA/UIUC (anyone remember when NCSA
                Telnet was a required Mac application, back before SSH became a de facto
                requirement?), and then took his skills to Sili Valley to launch Netscape.

                Also, Spyglass Mosaic only shared a name with NCSA Mosaic. Spyglass Mosaic
                went on to become Internet Explorer. NCSA Mosaic begat Netscape Navigator
                (though Netscape did not use any NCSA code, IIRC).

                "I was *there*, man..." (My first 'web' experience was on VT220 terminals
                running Lynx; Mosaic-on-Motif on a Novell UnixWare workstation was
                heavenly. Netscape 1.1n on my System 7-era Macintosh was the bomb dignity.
                altavista.digital.com "FTW," as they say... Before the Google.
                Contemporaneous with the Eternal September... ;)

                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 19 4:49 PM
                  It's great to have such knowledgeable people here. Thanks again, Smokey.

                  John R.