Re: [wpmac] Re: Old WP user switching to Mac

  • Thomas Clayton
    Message 1 of 32 , Apr 3 1:11 PM
      Laura,

      > I already have MicroSoft Office suite for MAC (word, excel, etc)
      > on my MBP; do I still need to install Windows?
      Yeah.

      Windows is an Operating System (OpSys; OS). Office is a collection of applications (programs) that run ON (over) an OpSys. The MS-Office you have is Macintosh OS X "native". The WP 8(?) you have is Windows OS "native".

      I'm going to GUESS that WP 8 runs (was MEANT TO run) on a Windows 199x vintage OS (like Win98). So you would NEED a copy of MS-Windows 98 OS (or later, like 98SE, or Windows 2000 (NT 5.0)) to run it.

      You shouldn't HAVE TO use Win XP (NT 5.1), Vista (NT 6.0) or Seven (NT 6.1) UNLESS the VMware / Parallels REQUIRED them (which I would doubt) but then WP 8 LIKELY would NOT run BECAUSE the OS is TOO "advnaced"!

      You are setting up, what is known as, a Virtual PC (except Microsoft bought out Connectix and now OWNs that name "VirtualPC" as a trademark (maybe registered). (I'm talking to a bunch of lawyers. Who am I? A humble PC Tech..) Inside the virtual machine (whether VMware or Parallels), an ACTUAL OS needs to be installed to run any application program (WP 8, in this case) which is "native" to it.

      I hope ALL this helps explain what will be needed to be done.

      Lastly, from over hearing other announcements here, MAYBE she should TRY to install a Sheepshaver DMG of WP "4" for the Mac and see what she thinks of it. (I never have. diskettes -> native OS 9 on OS X 10.3.9 on a G3).

      Sincerely,

      Thomas Clayton
      Message 32 of 32 , Apr 4 4:33 PM
        It is not a problem at all.