Re: [wpmac] Old WP user switching to Mac

  • N. Lynn Perls
    Message 1 of 32 , Apr 3, 2012
      This list is dedicated to running WP for mac on newer macs. I think your question is how to run WP for windows on a mac.

      I am not sure your summary is correct. In order to run WP for Windows on a mac:

      It is my understanding that the DOS link only works for early versions of WP: 5.1 and 6 - I don't think WP 8 will work in the DOSBox
      Wine is supposed to be fairly stable with WP 12, but not all others.
      Parallels or VMWareFusion require the installation of Windows, and then you can run whatever you like.

      I run WP 10 in VMWareFusion on my home and office imacs. I had legit Windows XP licenses that I was no longer using on PCs that I installed on the macs and wiped the old PCs. All others in my office and at home are on PCs, so I work in a mixed platform environment. The hassle is having to boot up windows, but it runs very nicely and switching between mac resident programs and the virtual machine on the mac is easy. I have 2008 machines that are maxed out at 4GB memory, and they are doing OK with the virtual machines. Might be different if there was heavy graphics use, but it's just word processing and a few little legal programs (local child support, and a math/mortgage calculator) that don't have mac equivalents that I run through VMWare fusion.

      N. Lynn Perls
      Attorney at Law
      Albuquerque, NM 87102
      www.perlslaw.com