Legal reference sites on the web?

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2012
      I'm developing a utility for WP that will let you select text in a WP document and then search for that text on web legal reference sites. I'm not an attorney myself, but I believe that Lexis-Nexis and FindLaw are two such sites. Are these good ones? What are a few others?

      Thanks,
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2012
        John
        Westlaw
        And thanks
        Geoff Gilbert
        Professor of Law
        Head of the School of Law
        School of Law and Human Rights Centre
        University of Essex
        Wivenhoe Park
        Colchester
        CO4 3SQ

        Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
        Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
        essex.ac.uk)

        > John R <mailto:johnrethorst@...>
        > 1 April 2012 08:06
        > I'm developing a utility for WP that will let you select text in a WP
        > document and then search for that text on web legal reference sites.
        > I'm not an attorney myself, but I believe that Lexis-Nexis and FindLaw
        > are two such sites. Are these good ones? What are a few others?
        >
        > Thanks,

        > .

      • Alex
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2012
          Google books, Fastcase, Casemaker.

          Alex

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1, 2012
            Thanks for the responses about legal databases.

            To make this script work, I need to know how a particular web database structures its search query. For example, if I go to lexisnexis.com and search for "citizens united", typing that into the site's search box and pressing Return, I get results for the search and, at the top where the browser shows the current URL, I see:

            http://www.lexisnexis.com/search.aspx?query=citizens%20united&CB1=1&CB2=1&CB3=1

            In other words, there's the web site, followed by a string of characters (in this case "search.aspx?query="), then followed by the search term, then some more characters.

            I can't get this info by going to e.g. Westlaw and doing a search since I don't have an account with them. Could anyone who does have an account with a database they'd like to see included, do a simple search and post the resulting URL address (or email it to me if you'd rather)? My script won't change the need to have an account at Westlaw; it will just offer convenience and a better integration of WP with the web.

            Thanks,
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 3, 2012
              John
              This is the url I got when I typed in 'Artukovic'.

              http://0-uk.westlaw.com.serlib0.essex.ac.uk/result/default.wl?cfid=1&mt=WestlawInternational09&origin=Search&srch=TRUE&utid=3&db=ALLFEDS&rlt=CLID_QRYRLT35193943234&method=TNC&service=Search&eq=search&rp=%2fsearch%2fdefault.wl&sp=ukessex-000&query=ARTUKOVIC&vr=2.0&action=Search&rltdb=CLID_DB14441343234&sv=Split&fmqv=s&fn=_top&rs=ITK3.0

              I go in though my Library <serlib0.essex.ac.uk> which may wreck things.

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 12, 2012
                It unfortunately does wreck things. Anyone have a private account with Westlaw who could email me the URL in your browser after a WestLaw search?

                Thanks,

                > John
                > This is the url I got when I typed in 'Artukovic'.
                >
                > http://0-uk.westlaw.com.serlib0.essex.ac.uk/result/default.wl?cfid=1&mt=WestlawInternational09&origin=Search&srch=TRUE&utid=3&db=ALLFEDS&rlt=CLID_QRYRLT35193943234&method=TNC&service=Search&eq=search&rp=%2fsearch%2fdefault.wl&sp=ukessex-000&query=ARTUKOVIC&vr=2.0&action=Search&rltdb=CLID_DB14441343234&sv=Split&fmqv=s&fn=_top&rs=ITK3.0
                >
                > I go in though my Library <serlib0.essex.ac.uk> which may wreck things.
                >
                > Geoff
                > --
                > Geoff Gilbert
                > Professor of Law
                > Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Refugee Law
                > Head of the School of Law
                > School of Law and Human Rights Centre
                > University of Essex
                > Wivenhoe Park
                > Colchester
                > CO4 3SQ
                >
                > Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
                > Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
                > Email: geoff (for those outside the University, add @ followed by
                > essex.ac.uk)
                >

                > > John R <mailto:johnrethorst@...>
                > > 1 April 2012 21:33
                > > Thanks for the responses about legal databases.
                > >
                > > To make this script work, I need to know how a particular web database
                > > structures its search query. For example, if I go to lexisnexis.com
                > > and search for "citizens united", typing that into the site's search
                > > box and pressing Return, I get results for the search and, at the top
                > > where the browser shows the current URL, I see:
                > >
                > > http://www.lexisnexis.com/search.aspx?query=citizens%20united&CB1=1&CB2=1&CB3=1
                > >
                > > In other words, there's the web site, followed by a string of
                > > characters (in this case "search.aspx?query="), then followed by the
                > > search term, then some more characters.
                > >
                > > I can't get this info by going to e.g. Westlaw and doing a search
                > > since I don't have an account with them. Could anyone who does have an
                > > account with a database they'd like to see included, do a simple
                > > search and post the resulting URL address (or email it to me if you'd
                > > rather)? My script won't change the need to have an account at
                > > Westlaw; it will just offer convenience and a better integration of WP
                > > with the web.
                > >
                > > Thanks,
                > > John R.

                > > .
                > >
                > > Alex <mailto:wold.alexander@...>
                > > 1 April 2012 15:45
                > > Google books, Fastcase, Casemaker.
                > >
                > > Alex

              • Chris Harshman
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 12, 2012
                  https://a.next.westlaw.com/Search/Results.html?query=fnord&jurisdiction=CA-CS%2CALLFEDS&saveJuris=False&contentType=ALL&querySubmissionGuid=i0ad6040900000136a84f49798c303aab&startIndex=1&searchId=i0ad6040900000136a84f49798c303aab&transitionType=Search&contextData=(sc.Default)

                  Don't think that'll help you much, though; if you strip away everything but
                  "query=fnord" you get:

                  An error occurred when processing your request.

                  Please try again later or call 1-800-WESTLAW (1-800-937-8529).

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 12, 2012
                    It is unwieldy, but it may work. When I test it here, of course it redirects to a sign-in page.

                    Could you (or anyone signed in to Westlaw) go to the Files section here, to the folder at the top of the list named Temporary Items? It contains a small app called Westlaw lookup test.app.zip. Run that -- it will ask you for a lookup term, and then should go to Westlaw and look it up, if your computer is signed in to Westlaw.

                    It would be great if two people could try this, to control for the possibility that some of the URL is specific to one computer.

                    Thank you,
                    John R.