Re: Wish list for update to Sheepshaver-WordPerfect Install?

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 13, 2012
      The .sheepvm format is extremely easy to use. Just search for sheepvm in the forums at emaculation.com. Or dig down into my setup this way: Contents, Resources, Files, select MacOS.sheepvm, ctrl-click and Show Package Contents. Inside you'll find the keycodes file, the ROM, the nvram, the prefs, and the disk image file. The prefs are easy to sort out. As you see from the main AppleScript of my system, I rewrite the location of the Unix folder (and I think a few other things) each time it starts up. You can swap or add disk images easily - either use the same name as the existing one or change the prefs file. It's genuinely easy.

      Yes, it should be easy to move a disk image between the two systems. If you want to make it easy to do this, I could easily add to my script so that you can drop a disk image on to it (provided it has a specified name), and the script would replace the existing disk file with the one that you drop.

      > My new version should of course use this. The only problem is that I don't know how to do it. Ed's package is a very sophisticated design, so I should simply steal it, but then I might be expected to troubleshoot it and not be able to.
      >
      > Most of what's in my new version will be a rebuilt disk image anyway, accompanied by the relatively simple install script, SS program and supporting files. I don't see why a user wouldn't have the choice between WPMacApp and SS-WP Install, using one disk image with the other package if desired. Ed, can disk images be swapped in or out of the .sheepvm format?

      > > If the new version uses the .sheepvm format, which is supported by all SheepShaver versions from the past two years or so, then the prefs file can be in the same folder with the ROM and disk image, and won't interfere with other SheepShaver copies - and won't get interfered with by others. It makes the whole system a lot easier to manage.
      > >
      > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John R" <johnrethorst@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > The next update will include a more stable version of Sheepshaver, plus Gero's updated Spotlight & Quicklook, and Prefab Player. Also more system 7 DA's, although the package will ship with most of them turned off. Any other suggestions are welcome.
      > > >
      > > > John R.

    • gero_herrmann
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 19, 2012
        Maybe WP DocCompare could be installed ready to run? Prerequisite would be a _working_ installation of MacPerl. The SheepShaver installations I have seen so far were not compatible with MacPerl 5.6.1r1 (the latest version) but with MacPerl 520r4, which is sufficient to run WP DocCompare.

        http://cpan.perl.org/ports/mac/

        As for the Spotlight & Quick Look plug-ins, there is now a new version 3.6, which has further refinements (small caps, superscript/subscript, double underline, strikeout, shadow, outline, improved display of ordered and unordered lists, background colors, and table borders, specific thumbnail icon badges for stationery (WPT), as well as speed improvements).

        http://homepage.mac.com/herr

        Gero. H.

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 19, 2012
          The current version of the WPMacApp has WP DocCompare installed and ready to run (with a working MacPerl setup). It also automatically installs or updates version 3.6 of the Spotlight and QuickLook plug-ins (thank you for these!).

          The current version also implements a suggestion by John - if you drop a .DSK or .DMG image file on the application, it offers to use it either as the "boot" disk for SheepShaver, or as a non-booting second disk. This means you can use John's SheepShaver-WP disk image as the disk image in the WPMacApp. This feature is experimental, and it's important not to run two copies of SheepShaver at the same time with the same disk image mounted. (I'll try to add some features to prevent this from being done even if someone tries.)

          Download link here:

          http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WPMacApp%20Installer.dmg

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 19, 2012
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "gero_herrmann" <gero_herrmann@...> wrote:

            > Maybe WP DocCompare could be installed ready to run? Prerequisite
            > would be a _working_ installation of MacPerl. The SheepShaver
            > installations I have seen so far were not compatible with MacPerl 5.6.1r1
            > (the latest version) but with MacPerl 520r4, which is sufficient to run
            > WP DocCompare.

            Good idea.

            > As for the Spotlight & Quick Look plug-ins, there is now a new version
            > 3.6, which has further refinements (small caps, superscript/subscript,
            > double underline, strikeout, shadow, outline, improved display of ordered
            > and unordered lists, background colors, and table borders, specific
            > thumbnail icon badges for stationery (WPT), as well as speed
            > improvements).

            It just keeps getting better.

            Thanks again, Gero!