Wish list for update to Sheepshaver-WordPerfect Install?

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 10, 2012
      The next update will include a more stable version of Sheepshaver, plus Gero's updated Spotlight & Quicklook, and Prefab Player. Also more system 7 DA's, although the package will ship with most of them turned off. Any other suggestions are welcome.

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 11, 2012
        John

        Is there a total uninstall so that I can reinstall from scratch without
        any prefs files lurking around. I still can't copy into or out of
        sheepshaver.

        Geoff Gilbert
        Professor of Law
        Head of the School of Law
        School of Law and Human Rights Centre
        University of Essex
        Wivenhoe Park
        Colchester
        CO4 3SQ

        Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
        Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
        essex.ac.uk)

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 11, 2012
          If the new version uses the .sheepvm format, which is supported by all SheepShaver versions from the past two years or so, then the prefs file can be in the same folder with the ROM and disk image, and won't interfere with other SheepShaver copies - and won't get interfered with by others. It makes the whole system a lot easier to manage.

          > The next update will include a more stable version of Sheepshaver, plus Gero's updated Spotlight & Quicklook, and Prefab Player. Also more system 7 DA's, although the package will ship with most of them turned off. Any other suggestions are welcome.
          >
          > John R.

        • WH
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 11, 2012
            Geoff -
            Me too�.. maybe the only quibble I have with UNIX. Consider my 'Universal toolkit' used for all of OS X application deletions. These negate the need for almost all specific 'uninstall' apps. For this packaged WP product, you may need to perform two separate deletions, Sheepshaver and WP.

            EasyFind - certainly my most used utility; free from Devon Technologies. This is a polished GUI for core command line tools unsuited for 1AM cleanup tasks. This app will often locate and enable scrub of files missed by an 'uninstall', serve as a 'super-Spotlight' and much much more. The only caveat is to READ the 'Where' information and select only those Files / Folders specific to the app of interest. Simple Boolean will increase the focus of the search and save time. An ability to instantly locate 'Invisible' files is a huge time saver. NOTE: if a file is not deleted at first, use the "Reveal in Finder" button / tool to instantly locate. Then Select the file in Finder to directly delete. Oft, a file not directly deleted by EasyFind requires 'authorization' in the popup window, a step often bypassed by uninstaller apps, thus the clutter continues. Security enhancements in OS X have increased the difficulty of removing Pref files even with an Uninstall app. EasyFind is appropriately named.
            Freeware applications and services for Mac - DEVONtechnologies

            AppDelete This cheap utility is available on the Apple App Store. Of several similar apps, this is polished from several versions, effective and easy to use for this specific task. Occasionaly this app fails to trash a locked file for the above reason.

            IN SUM: I utilize 'AppDelete' as the 'no brain strain' initial step. Second step is to do a quick 'Files & Folders' search with EasyFind to expedite the removal of any residual. Rarely do I use an Uninstall utility.
            Best,
            Bill Hunter

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 13, 2012

              > Is there a total uninstall so that I can reinstall from scratch without
              > any prefs files lurking around.

              In Sheepshaver-WordPerfect 1.3.1, go to the Sheepshaver folder and thence to Sheepshaver Scripts. The Delete Prefs File script will do just that.

              > I still can't copy into or out of sheepshaver.

              Are you on Snow Leopard or later, and have gone to Get Info on the Sheepshaver app and set it to run in 64-bit mode? That will disable copy and paste.

              Otherwise, there are two recent releases of SS, one of 25 Oct. 2009 and the other of 06 Nov. 2010. I included the 2010 release in the SS-WP package but now understand the 2009 release is better, Which are you using?

              Anyone else have copy/paste problems with SS?

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 13, 2012
                My new version should of course use this. The only problem is that I don't know how to do it. Ed's package is a very sophisticated design, so I should simply steal it, but then I might be expected to troubleshoot it and not be able to.

                Most of what's in my new version will be a rebuilt disk image anyway, accompanied by the relatively simple install script, SS program and supporting files. I don't see why a user wouldn't have the choice between WPMacApp and SS-WP Install, using one disk image with the other package if desired. Ed, can disk images be swapped in or out of the .sheepvm format?

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 13, 2012
                  The .sheepvm format is extremely easy to use. Just search for sheepvm in the forums at emaculation.com. Or dig down into my setup this way: Contents, Resources, Files, select MacOS.sheepvm, ctrl-click and Show Package Contents. Inside you'll find the keycodes file, the ROM, the nvram, the prefs, and the disk image file. The prefs are easy to sort out. As you see from the main AppleScript of my system, I rewrite the location of the Unix folder (and I think a few other things) each time it starts up. You can swap or add disk images easily - either use the same name as the existing one or change the prefs file. It's genuinely easy.

                  Yes, it should be easy to move a disk image between the two systems. If you want to make it easy to do this, I could easily add to my script so that you can drop a disk image on to it (provided it has a specified name), and the script would replace the existing disk file with the one that you drop.

                  > My new version should of course use this. The only problem is that I don't know how to do it. Ed's package is a very sophisticated design, so I should simply steal it, but then I might be expected to troubleshoot it and not be able to.
                  >
                  > Most of what's in my new version will be a rebuilt disk image anyway, accompanied by the relatively simple install script, SS program and supporting files. I don't see why a user wouldn't have the choice between WPMacApp and SS-WP Install, using one disk image with the other package if desired. Ed, can disk images be swapped in or out of the .sheepvm format?

                  > > If the new version uses the .sheepvm format, which is supported by all SheepShaver versions from the past two years or so, then the prefs file can be in the same folder with the ROM and disk image, and won't interfere with other SheepShaver copies - and won't get interfered with by others. It makes the whole system a lot easier to manage.
                  > >
                  > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John R" <johnrethorst@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > The next update will include a more stable version of Sheepshaver, plus Gero's updated Spotlight & Quicklook, and Prefab Player. Also more system 7 DA's, although the package will ship with most of them turned off. Any other suggestions are welcome.
                  > > >
                  > > > John R.

                • gero_herrmann
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 19, 2012
                    Maybe WP DocCompare could be installed ready to run? Prerequisite would be a _working_ installation of MacPerl. The SheepShaver installations I have seen so far were not compatible with MacPerl 5.6.1r1 (the latest version) but with MacPerl 520r4, which is sufficient to run WP DocCompare.

                    http://cpan.perl.org/ports/mac/

                    As for the Spotlight & Quick Look plug-ins, there is now a new version 3.6, which has further refinements (small caps, superscript/subscript, double underline, strikeout, shadow, outline, improved display of ordered and unordered lists, background colors, and table borders, specific thumbnail icon badges for stationery (WPT), as well as speed improvements).

                    http://homepage.mac.com/herr

                    Gero. H.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 19, 2012
                      The current version of the WPMacApp has WP DocCompare installed and ready to run (with a working MacPerl setup). It also automatically installs or updates version 3.6 of the Spotlight and QuickLook plug-ins (thank you for these!).

                      The current version also implements a suggestion by John - if you drop a .DSK or .DMG image file on the application, it offers to use it either as the "boot" disk for SheepShaver, or as a non-booting second disk. This means you can use John's SheepShaver-WP disk image as the disk image in the WPMacApp. This feature is experimental, and it's important not to run two copies of SheepShaver at the same time with the same disk image mounted. (I'll try to add some features to prevent this from being done even if someone tries.)

                      Download link here:

                      http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WPMacApp%20Installer.dmg

                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 19, 2012
                        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "gero_herrmann" <gero_herrmann@...> wrote:

                        > Maybe WP DocCompare could be installed ready to run? Prerequisite
                        > would be a _working_ installation of MacPerl. The SheepShaver
                        > installations I have seen so far were not compatible with MacPerl 5.6.1r1
                        > (the latest version) but with MacPerl 520r4, which is sufficient to run
                        > WP DocCompare.

                        Good idea.

                        > As for the Spotlight & Quick Look plug-ins, there is now a new version
                        > 3.6, which has further refinements (small caps, superscript/subscript,
                        > double underline, strikeout, shadow, outline, improved display of ordered
                        > and unordered lists, background colors, and table borders, specific
                        > thumbnail icon badges for stationery (WPT), as well as speed
                        > improvements).

                        It just keeps getting better.

                        Thanks again, Gero!