WP docs altered by SS - can we open them with the lates version og libreoffice?

  • John
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 23, 2012
      hi folks just upgraded to new 27 imacs in our office, so cannot use Classic anymore. have many wp docs that we need to convert to a new format, as we have tried to use SS and it's too buggy and unstable for our taste, with a shaky cursor and a blue, fuzzy background that is hard on the eyes. however, we noticed that somehow SS has now changed all the wp docs in our files to WP4 format, which libreoffice is not recognizing. any ideas as to how we can open/convert these altered wp docs to libreoffice Writer format? or do we need to uninstall SS to reverse the format change? thanks much for any suggestions you may have.

      jc

      john carlos sarmiento
      attorney at law
      san francisco, california
    • Bjorn (Barney) Christianson
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 24, 2012
        I don't know anything about libreoffice but our office uses NeoOffice now
        (sadly, but the SS approach is not efficient for use with everyone saving
        to a file server). NeoOffice opens all our WPMac 3.5e docs although there
        is some format messing at times.

        Barney

      • Thomas Clayton
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 25, 2012
          A Short superficial history

          OpenOffice.org = OO.o (at some time back, still existent)

          2 --> Go-OO (some time back, for two or three yr.s, now gone)

          3a --> NeoOffice (Go-OO Re-written to be Mac OS X (Cocoa?) native)

          3b --> LibreOffice (Go-OO programmers break away from Oracle)

          [ --> are indicators of "spin-offs" / code forks ]

          OO.o original, now, has a "Mac OS X version", as does LibreOffice. (I don't know if it was the transition to Intel chips, or something else, but they both offer versions for "modern" MacOSX.) NeoOffice, which was 'always' a little behind, may have 'caught up' (or not) but they offer(ed?) "native" OS X versions. (These are based upon the much improved versions coming, originally, from Go-OO and now LibreOffice.)

          Basically, NeoOffice is an 'off-shoot' of OpenOffice (with 'improvements' ).

          Thomas Clayton
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 25, 2012
            I think you may have been hoping to get a practical answer to your question, so here's an attempt to provide one.

            There is a bad bug in LibreOffice 3.4.x that prevents it from recognizing WPMac 3.5 enhanced (WP4 format) documents. That's what causes the problem you described.

            Delete LibreOffice 3.4 from your disk. Go back to the LibreOffice site, and download LibreOffice 3.3.4 for the Mac. Your files will open as you expect them to.

            I don't know if this bug is fixed in the forthcoming LibreOffice 3.5, but 3.3.4 will get the job done until the bug is fixed in a future version.

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 25, 2012
              I wonder whether part of the problem might not be that the OP had probably set WP docs to open in LibreOffice. Then when he installed SS, the Open WP Files component hijacked the "right" to open those files. I'd try doing a Get Info on a WP file, changing its Open With app to LibreOffice, and clicking Change All. Just a guess.

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 25, 2012
                I don't have the hardware available to test, but SheepShaver Preferences lets you add volumes that will appear on the SS desktop. Can't a server, mounted at the time SS Prefs is run, be added as a volume? Are there other issues about reading from and writing to that volume?

                John R.

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 25, 2012
                  I tried exactly that. It doesn't help. It's a bug in LibreOffice for the Mac 3.4. The Windows version doesn't have the bug, and LibreOffice for the Mac 3.3 doesn't have it either.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 25, 2012
                    The mountable "volumes" in SheepShaver can only be files (disk images), not servers or actual disks.

                    You can specify that the "Unix" folder should be a folder on a remote server, but folder will be read-only. You can't write files to it.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 26, 2012
                      I've just received word that this bug will be fixed in LibreOffice 3.5.0 RC3 and in the final 3.5.0 version. At the moment the only easily downloadable version is 3.5.0 RC1, but RC3 should be released sometime next week. That will fix this problem.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 5, 2012
                        LibreOffice 3.5rc3 opens WP files correctly, as promised. It can be downloaded from LibreOffice.org, on the Downloads page, under the PreReleases page.

                        > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "em315" <em315@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > I think you may have been hoping to get a practical answer to your question, so here's an attempt to provide one.
                        > > >
                        > > > There is a bad bug in LibreOffice 3.4.x that prevents it from recognizing WPMac 3.5 enhanced (WP4 format) documents. That's what causes the problem you described.
                        > > >
                        > > > Delete LibreOffice 3.4 from your disk. Go back to the LibreOffice site, and download LibreOffice 3.3.4 for the Mac. Your files will open as you expect them to.
                        > > >
                        > > > I don't know if this bug is fixed in the forthcoming LibreOffice 3.5, but 3.3.4 will get the job done until the bug is fixed in a future version.

                      • J. C. Sarmiento
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 23, 2012
                          THANKS!!!