Re: [OT] A literary history of word processing

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 13, 2012
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Bush <konajoe@...> wrote:

      > The quote by Darren Wershler, 'Writing about word processing when that's how you write is like trying to write about the back of your own head' really gave me a chuckle. So I'm wondering if you got a similar feeling writing about WordPerfect?

      Good point, but all I remember is that I was able to write it quickly, and it was a lot of fun to do.

      John R.
    • jrethorst
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 16, 2016
        We've come a long way.

        John R.

        Type Slowly: Word Processing and Literary Composition - The Los...

      • Hugh Dobbs
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 17, 2016
          Thanks, John!

          I enjoyed that.

          One other early user of WP was Piers Anthony, who occasionally mentioned
          what he was using
          in the fringes of his books (again, like Niven and Pournelle, in SFF:
          science fiction/fantasy border
          area). It may have something to do with his prolificacy. A few days ago I
          thought: there's a Piers
          Anthony book I haven't read, I wonder if it's on Amazon (silly
          question!?)... and found there are
          about FIFTY that I haven't read.

          One point which is not made is the important step which no longer occurs:
          typesetting, the
          transition between the MS or typewriter output and the printable document,
          at which point many
          new errors would appear, whether the transcription was done by human or (in
          the transition era
          of WP) by OCR.

          Remember shrdlu? And where it came from?

          This type of error still occurs in the conversion from book and magazine
          form to internet
          archiving (Google Books, for instance). A few months ago I came across on
          the internet an
          article which I wrote for an obscure Forth magazine several decades
          earlier, which someone had
          archived evidently using word-recognition software (but Forth is not
          English! Also, any instances
          of 0 [zero] had been omitted). Total gobbledygook! Some day I may find the
          original and send it
          to them, if I still have it. But many of my old WP files are on DOS II
          disks, if no one has thrown
          them out.... I think that one was pre-Macintosh.

          Bye

          Hugh
          http://www.iol.ie