Re: [wpmac] Enough!

  • Chris Harshman
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 10, 2012
      On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 7:55 PM, Smokey Ardisson
      <smokey.ardisson@...>wrote:

      > **
      > 10.6 shipped with PPC versions of all system libraries:
      >
      > http://symbols.mozilla.org/symbols_os/Mac_OS_X-10_6_8-10K549-Security_Update_2011-006-symbols.txt

      Which actually makes my interpretation stronger; Rosetta ran underneath the
      PPC libraries. Since Lion has no Rosetta, it would have no PPC libraries...

      If Rosetta was just 'traffic cop,' why wouldn't it have routed PPC library
      calls to their Intel equivalents?

      There was also a long thread on MacInTouch sometime last year where
      > people successfully installed the 10.6 Rosetta package on 10.7 and
      > got "Rosetta" running, but PPC apps failed to run. I looked it up
      > again, and the capstone post is here:
      > http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/lion/topic4948-004.html#item.141325

      "Rosetta's not actually their software, just something they licensed up
      through Snow Leopard. It currently belongs to IBM..." :)

      That post also reaffirms my understanding of Rosetta's operation.

      PowerPC app loads. Through its symbol table, it causes the linker to load
      the PPC libraries it's linked against. That linked executable (comprised of
      PPC code) is then transmogrified via Rosetta into Intel instructions.

      At any rate, this is way off in the weeds now for this group, so we
      > should probably move back to discussing other cross-architecture
      > technologies such as WordPerfect-Mac in SheepShaver ;-)

      I tried the SheepShaver 3.5 WP, was hoping it would work for me, but even
      though it's contemporaneous with WP 8 for Linux/Windows, it doesn't handle
      documents with any sort of complex formatting (i.e., WP macro generated
      pleading paper), so, I'm still stuck using Wine and WordPerfect for Windows
      12... :\