Re: [OT] A literary history of word processing

  • Joseph Bush
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 10, 2012
      Great article John!

      The quote by Darren Wershler, 'Writing about word processing when that's how you write is like trying to write about the back of your own head' really gave me a chuckle. So I'm wondering if you got a similar feeling writing about WordPerfect?

      Joe
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 13, 2012
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Bush <konajoe@...> wrote:

        > The quote by Darren Wershler, 'Writing about word processing when that's how you write is like trying to write about the back of your own head' really gave me a chuckle. So I'm wondering if you got a similar feeling writing about WordPerfect?

        Good point, but all I remember is that I was able to write it quickly, and it was a lot of fun to do.

        John R.
      • jrethorst
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 16, 2016
          We've come a long way.

          John R.

          Type Slowly: Word Processing and Literary Composition - The Los...

        • Hugh Dobbs
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 17, 2016
            Thanks, John!

            I enjoyed that.

            One other early user of WP was Piers Anthony, who occasionally mentioned
            what he was using
            in the fringes of his books (again, like Niven and Pournelle, in SFF:
            science fiction/fantasy border
            area). It may have something to do with his prolificacy. A few days ago I
            thought: there's a Piers
            Anthony book I haven't read, I wonder if it's on Amazon (silly
            question!?)... and found there are
            about FIFTY that I haven't read.

            One point which is not made is the important step which no longer occurs:
            typesetting, the
            transition between the MS or typewriter output and the printable document,
            at which point many
            new errors would appear, whether the transcription was done by human or (in
            the transition era
            of WP) by OCR.

            Remember shrdlu? And where it came from?

            This type of error still occurs in the conversion from book and magazine
            form to internet
            archiving (Google Books, for instance). A few months ago I came across on
            the internet an
            article which I wrote for an obscure Forth magazine several decades
            earlier, which someone had
            archived evidently using word-recognition software (but Forth is not
            English! Also, any instances
            of 0 [zero] had been omitted). Total gobbledygook! Some day I may find the
            original and send it
            to them, if I still have it. But many of my old WP files are on DOS II
            disks, if no one has thrown
            them out.... I think that one was pre-Macintosh.

            Bye

            Hugh
            http://www.iol.ie