Re: Enough!

  • ted_m_p_lee
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 8, 2012
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "kingtj@..." <kingtj@...> wrote:

      > Ted, one thing you might be happy to hear is the news that Intuit Corp. is actually updating Quicken 2007 to work under OS X Lion without the need for Rosetta.

      Thanks! I've read a lot of complaints about the problem, and no very satisfactory solutions, so I'm glad to hear this. Time will tell, of course, whether the news is actually true, or just yet another rumor.

      We now return you to your normal programming...
    • ted_m_p_lee
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 8, 2012

        > Thanks! I've read a lot of complaints about the problem, and no very satisfactory solutions, so I'm glad to hear this. Time will tell, of course, whether the news is actually true, or just yet another rumor.
        >
        > We now return you to your normal programming...

        Minor re-interruption. I found the place on the Intuit website where they actually say they are "re-engineering" Quicken 2007 to run on Lion, to be ready in the spring. There's even a place where you can asked to be notified when it's ready. So it sounds much more solid than a rumor. (It doesn't say, but it doesn't sound like their solution will be to get the rights to Rosetta and package that with Quicken, which is what one rumor was; too bad because of course that would probably help with any other PPC-only applications.)
      • Smokey Ardisson
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 9, 2012
          On Sun Jan 8, 2012 12:12 pm ((PST)), "ted_m_p_lee" <_@_> wrote:

          > (It doesn't say, but it doesn't sound like their solution will be
          >to get the rights to Rosetta and package that with Quicken, which is
          >what one rumor was; too bad because of course that would probably
          >help with any other PPC-only applications.)

          One last off-topic discursion here: getting the rights to Rosetta
          would not do anyone any good running PPC apps on 10.7, because
          Rosetta was basically (this is an oversimplification) just a traffic
          cop that directed PPC apps' calls to the PPC versions of the system
          libraries. Since 10.7 does not ship with PPC versions of the OS
          libraries, any app would still die immediately at launch. (And while
          you could likely build a PPC version of the UNIX portions of the OS
          and a few system frameworks from the Darwin sources, you'd still be
          missing all the "Mac" stuff, and even if you could convince Apple to
          license that part of the OS to you [ha!], there'd still be the
          problem of shipping GBs of binaries, and re-architecting your app and
          Rosetta to call those libraries in whatever location you install them
          [since they're not shipped with the OS, and lipoing them together
          with the existing OS libraries on every user's system is both
          insanity and evil].)

          That particular old "rumor" was probably better classified as
          "pie-in-the-sky dream" or "hopium" ;-)

          Smokey
        • Chris Harshman
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 9, 2012
            On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 10:57 AM, Smokey Ardisson
            <smokey.ardisson@...>wrote:

            > **
            > One last off-topic discursion here: getting the rights to Rosetta
            > would not do anyone any good running PPC apps on 10.7, because
            > Rosetta was basically (this is an oversimplification) just a traffic
            > cop that directed PPC apps' calls to the PPC versions of the system
            > libraries.

            Cite for that? My understanding (especially since Rosetta works with Snow
            Leopard, which does not include PowerPC code as I understand it) is that
            Rosetta was actually doing on the fly virtualization across platforms; it's
            tech licensed from Transitive (now part of IBM), e.g., QuickTransit.

            http://news.cnet.com/The-brains-behind-Apples-Rosetta-Transitive/2100-1016_3-5736190.html

            > re-architecting your app and
            > Rosetta to call those libraries in whatever location you install them

            Um, assuming *arguendo* that you're correct vis-a-vis the "PPC
            libraries," wouldn't that be the linker's job?

          • Smokey Ardisson
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 10, 2012
              On Mon Jan 9, 2012 9:03 pm ((PST)), "Chris Harshman"
              <harshman@...> wrote:

              >On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 10:57 AM, Smokey Ardisson
              ><smokey.ardisson@...>wrote:
              >
              >> **
              >> One last off-topic discursion here: getting the rights to Rosetta
              >> would not do anyone any good running PPC apps on 10.7, because
              >> Rosetta was basically (this is an oversimplification) just a traffic
              >> cop that directed PPC apps' calls to the PPC versions of the system
              >> libraries.
              >>

              >Cite for that? My understanding (especially since Rosetta works with Snow
              >Leopard, which does not include PowerPC code as I understand it) is that
              >Rosetta was actually doing on the fly virtualization across platforms; it's
              >tech licensed from Transitive (now part of IBM), e.g., QuickTransit.
              >
              >http://news.cnet.com/The-brains-behind-Apples-Rosetta-Transitive/2100-1016_3-5736190.html

              10.6 shipped with PPC versions of all system libraries:
              http://symbols.mozilla.org/symbols_os/Mac_OS_X-10_6_8-10K549-Security_Update_2011-006-symbols.txt
              10.7 does not:
              http://symbols.mozilla.org/symbols_os/Mac_OS_X-10_7_2-11C74-symbols.txt

              (If you load each .sym file in the manifest at a URL relative to the
              symbols_os directory, you'll see for 10.6 there are PPC and x86
              files, but for 10.7 there are only x86. 10.6 and 10.7 both also have
              x86_64 parts, too, which are not included here because dump_syms was
              run only with -arch ppc -arch x86 on both OS versions.)

              If Rosetta didn't need the PPC OS routines, why in the world would
              Apple ship 10.6 with PPC versions of the libraries that it didn't
              need (since 10.6 would only install and run on Intel Macs) in
              addition to the x86 and x86_64 versions that 10.6 required? This
              isn't proof, of course, but Apple's not known for shipping MBs/GBs of
              stuff the OS doesn't need (see: Rosetta on 10.6, printer drivers on
              10.6+, Java on 10.7), and shipping a 3-arch OS when only a 2-arch OS
              is needed certainly leans in the "Rosetta needs it, but it's too big
              and too difficult to safely install after the fact when the user
              needs Rosetta" direction.

              There was also a long thread on MacInTouch sometime last year where
              people successfully installed the 10.6 Rosetta package on 10.7 and
              got "Rosetta" running, but PPC apps failed to run. I looked it up
              again, and the capstone post is here:
              http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/lion/topic4948-004.html#item.141325
              (It looks like the InsanelyMac people are trying to do exactly what I
              "suggested", although apparently you have to start from the kernel!)

              Note also in the article you cited Jobs and especially Schiller
              remark that Rosetta is an Apple technology and that Transitive
              technology is only a part of the whole, FWIW. This could mean
              anything from "Rosetta is the technology covering the way we
              integrated the QuickTransit product into the OS" to "We don't use
              QuickTransit, but we licensed some pieces of it, or some IP related
              to it, and developed Rosetta, which works in a similar but not
              identical way". Since it's Apple, we'll likely never know (unless
              perhaps Quicken 2007 for 10.7 comes out as the same old PPC app with
              a Rosetta-like kludge attached and someone from Intuit spills the
              beans on the details of their implementation and how it differed from
              Rosetta.) :-P

              >> re-architecting your app and
              >> Rosetta to call those libraries in whatever location you install them
              >>

              >Um, assuming *arguendo* that you're correct vis-a-vis the "PPC
              >libraries," wouldn't that be the linker's job?

              Sure (or setting the DYLD_LIBRARY_* environment variables, as the
              InsanelyMac thread suggested); I got a bit carried away ;-) But
              you'd still have to reconfigure your build system in the former case,
              which may range from trivial to difficult, depending on the quality
              of that system.

              At any rate, this is way off in the weeds now for this group, so we
              should probably move back to discussing other cross-architecture
              technologies such as WordPerfect-Mac in SheepShaver ;-)

              Smokey
            • Chris Harshman
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 10, 2012
                On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 7:55 PM, Smokey Ardisson
                <smokey.ardisson@...>wrote:

                > **
                > 10.6 shipped with PPC versions of all system libraries:
                >
                > http://symbols.mozilla.org/symbols_os/Mac_OS_X-10_6_8-10K549-Security_Update_2011-006-symbols.txt

                Which actually makes my interpretation stronger; Rosetta ran underneath the
                PPC libraries. Since Lion has no Rosetta, it would have no PPC libraries...

                If Rosetta was just 'traffic cop,' why wouldn't it have routed PPC library
                calls to their Intel equivalents?

                There was also a long thread on MacInTouch sometime last year where
                > people successfully installed the 10.6 Rosetta package on 10.7 and
                > got "Rosetta" running, but PPC apps failed to run. I looked it up
                > again, and the capstone post is here:
                > http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/lion/topic4948-004.html#item.141325

                "Rosetta's not actually their software, just something they licensed up
                through Snow Leopard. It currently belongs to IBM..." :)

                That post also reaffirms my understanding of Rosetta's operation.

                PowerPC app loads. Through its symbol table, it causes the linker to load
                the PPC libraries it's linked against. That linked executable (comprised of
                PPC code) is then transmogrified via Rosetta into Intel instructions.

                At any rate, this is way off in the weeds now for this group, so we
                > should probably move back to discussing other cross-architecture
                > technologies such as WordPerfect-Mac in SheepShaver ;-)

                I tried the SheepShaver 3.5 WP, was hoping it would work for me, but even
                though it's contemporaneous with WP 8 for Linux/Windows, it doesn't handle
                documents with any sort of complex formatting (i.e., WP macro generated
                pleading paper), so, I'm still stuck using Wine and WordPerfect for Windows
                12... :\