Re: Enough!

    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 6, 2012

      > But wait a minute! I can now run Ed's stuff, including his _very nice_ WPMacApp! I wish I knew how to build something that good (or even steal it). It's a highly professional piece of work.

      Actually, it's all based on things that you and Smokey Ardisson thought up - mostly that very ingenious system for clicking on a file in OS X and having it open in SheepShaver. That was a real breakthrough.

      Now that you can run that WPMac App on your system, maybe you can figure out (I can't) the timing problem in the "Background Actions Script" - sometimes, when I quit WPMac with that script running in the background, it starts up again a couple of seconds later. I don't have a clue about what's causing it or how to fix it.

      I've actually been waiting for you to start using Snow Leopard/Lion machine so that I could ask you this question...
    • ted_m_p_lee
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 7, 2012

        > I was proud of how long I stayed on Tiger: almost as long as I stayed with system 6 after 7 came out, or as long as I stayed there before moving to OS 8.6. I had to, for some reason or other, but felt ruffled -- what the hey was wrong with desk accessories and fkeys anyway?

        I'm afraid I'm stuck on Leopard or Snow Leopard, because of Rosetta. I don't know what I'm gong to do when all our PPC or early Intel (among other things we have one of the earlier Intel mini's inherited from my daughter-in-law when she upgraded to a newer iMac) hardware dies and we have to get something that will only run Lion or later. Sheepshaver works great for several of our irreplaceable classic apps, including of course WP, but it looks like the earliest version of Quicken I seem to have around requires a later version of OS 9 than will run under Sheepshaver. And we all know there seems to be no satisfactory answer to the Quicken-only-PPC problem.

        Ted Lee
        Minnetonka, MN
      • kingtj@swbell.net
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 7, 2012
          Ted, one thing you might be happy to hear is the news that Intuit Corp. is actually updating Quicken 2007 to work under OS X Lion without the need for Rosetta.

          http://techcitement.com/software/mac_os/intuit-decides-mac-users-like-being-stuck-in-2007/#.TwiEaCOhDcM

          > > I was proud of how long I stayed on Tiger: almost as long as I stayed with system 6 after 7 came out, or as long as I stayed there before moving to OS 8.6. I had to, for some reason or other, but felt ruffled -- what the hey was wrong with desk accessories and fkeys anyway?
          > >

          > I'm afraid I'm stuck on Leopard or Snow Leopard, because of Rosetta. I don't know what I'm gong to do when all our PPC or early Intel (among other things we have one of the earlier Intel mini's inherited from my daughter-in-law when she upgraded to a newer iMac) hardware dies and we have to get something that will only run Lion or later. Sheepshaver works great for several of our irreplaceable classic apps, including of course WP, but it looks like the earliest version of Quicken I seem to have around requires a later version of OS 9 than will run under Sheepshaver. And we all know there seems to be no satisfactory answer to the Quicken-only-PPC problem.
          >
          > Ted Lee
          > Minnetonka, MN

        • Smokey Ardisson
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 7, 2012
            On Fri Jan 6, 2012 9:40 pm ((PST)), "em315" <em315@...> wrote:

            >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John R" <johnrethorst@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> But wait a minute! I can now run Ed's stuff, including his _very
            >>nice_ WPMacApp! I wish I knew how to build something that good (or
            >>even steal it). It's a highly professional piece of work.
            >
            >Actually, it's all based on things that you and Smokey Ardisson
            >thought up - mostly that very ingenious system for clicking on a
            >file in OS X and having it open in SheepShaver. That was a real
            >breakthrough.

            ...And most of that was John; I really just slapped LaunchServices
            stuff into the Mac OS X-side applet's plist ;-)

            Smokey
          • ted_m_p_lee
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 8, 2012
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "kingtj@..." <kingtj@...> wrote:

              > Ted, one thing you might be happy to hear is the news that Intuit Corp. is actually updating Quicken 2007 to work under OS X Lion without the need for Rosetta.

              Thanks! I've read a lot of complaints about the problem, and no very satisfactory solutions, so I'm glad to hear this. Time will tell, of course, whether the news is actually true, or just yet another rumor.

              We now return you to your normal programming...
            • ted_m_p_lee
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 8, 2012

                > Thanks! I've read a lot of complaints about the problem, and no very satisfactory solutions, so I'm glad to hear this. Time will tell, of course, whether the news is actually true, or just yet another rumor.
                >
                > We now return you to your normal programming...

                Minor re-interruption. I found the place on the Intuit website where they actually say they are "re-engineering" Quicken 2007 to run on Lion, to be ready in the spring. There's even a place where you can asked to be notified when it's ready. So it sounds much more solid than a rumor. (It doesn't say, but it doesn't sound like their solution will be to get the rights to Rosetta and package that with Quicken, which is what one rumor was; too bad because of course that would probably help with any other PPC-only applications.)
              • Smokey Ardisson
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 9, 2012
                  On Sun Jan 8, 2012 12:12 pm ((PST)), "ted_m_p_lee" <_@_> wrote:

                  > (It doesn't say, but it doesn't sound like their solution will be
                  >to get the rights to Rosetta and package that with Quicken, which is
                  >what one rumor was; too bad because of course that would probably
                  >help with any other PPC-only applications.)

                  One last off-topic discursion here: getting the rights to Rosetta
                  would not do anyone any good running PPC apps on 10.7, because
                  Rosetta was basically (this is an oversimplification) just a traffic
                  cop that directed PPC apps' calls to the PPC versions of the system
                  libraries. Since 10.7 does not ship with PPC versions of the OS
                  libraries, any app would still die immediately at launch. (And while
                  you could likely build a PPC version of the UNIX portions of the OS
                  and a few system frameworks from the Darwin sources, you'd still be
                  missing all the "Mac" stuff, and even if you could convince Apple to
                  license that part of the OS to you [ha!], there'd still be the
                  problem of shipping GBs of binaries, and re-architecting your app and
                  Rosetta to call those libraries in whatever location you install them
                  [since they're not shipped with the OS, and lipoing them together
                  with the existing OS libraries on every user's system is both
                  insanity and evil].)

                  That particular old "rumor" was probably better classified as
                  "pie-in-the-sky dream" or "hopium" ;-)

                  Smokey
                • Chris Harshman
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 9, 2012
                    On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 10:57 AM, Smokey Ardisson
                    <smokey.ardisson@...>wrote:

                    > **
                    > One last off-topic discursion here: getting the rights to Rosetta
                    > would not do anyone any good running PPC apps on 10.7, because
                    > Rosetta was basically (this is an oversimplification) just a traffic
                    > cop that directed PPC apps' calls to the PPC versions of the system
                    > libraries.

                    Cite for that? My understanding (especially since Rosetta works with Snow
                    Leopard, which does not include PowerPC code as I understand it) is that
                    Rosetta was actually doing on the fly virtualization across platforms; it's
                    tech licensed from Transitive (now part of IBM), e.g., QuickTransit.

                    http://news.cnet.com/The-brains-behind-Apples-Rosetta-Transitive/2100-1016_3-5736190.html

                    > re-architecting your app and
                    > Rosetta to call those libraries in whatever location you install them

                    Um, assuming *arguendo* that you're correct vis-a-vis the "PPC
                    libraries," wouldn't that be the linker's job?

                  • Smokey Ardisson
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 10, 2012
                      On Mon Jan 9, 2012 9:03 pm ((PST)), "Chris Harshman"
                      <harshman@...> wrote:

                      >On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 10:57 AM, Smokey Ardisson
                      ><smokey.ardisson@...>wrote:
                      >
                      >> **
                      >> One last off-topic discursion here: getting the rights to Rosetta
                      >> would not do anyone any good running PPC apps on 10.7, because
                      >> Rosetta was basically (this is an oversimplification) just a traffic
                      >> cop that directed PPC apps' calls to the PPC versions of the system
                      >> libraries.
                      >>

                      >Cite for that? My understanding (especially since Rosetta works with Snow
                      >Leopard, which does not include PowerPC code as I understand it) is that
                      >Rosetta was actually doing on the fly virtualization across platforms; it's
                      >tech licensed from Transitive (now part of IBM), e.g., QuickTransit.
                      >
                      >http://news.cnet.com/The-brains-behind-Apples-Rosetta-Transitive/2100-1016_3-5736190.html

                      10.6 shipped with PPC versions of all system libraries:
                      http://symbols.mozilla.org/symbols_os/Mac_OS_X-10_6_8-10K549-Security_Update_2011-006-symbols.txt
                      10.7 does not:
                      http://symbols.mozilla.org/symbols_os/Mac_OS_X-10_7_2-11C74-symbols.txt

                      (If you load each .sym file in the manifest at a URL relative to the
                      symbols_os directory, you'll see for 10.6 there are PPC and x86
                      files, but for 10.7 there are only x86. 10.6 and 10.7 both also have
                      x86_64 parts, too, which are not included here because dump_syms was
                      run only with -arch ppc -arch x86 on both OS versions.)

                      If Rosetta didn't need the PPC OS routines, why in the world would
                      Apple ship 10.6 with PPC versions of the libraries that it didn't
                      need (since 10.6 would only install and run on Intel Macs) in
                      addition to the x86 and x86_64 versions that 10.6 required? This
                      isn't proof, of course, but Apple's not known for shipping MBs/GBs of
                      stuff the OS doesn't need (see: Rosetta on 10.6, printer drivers on
                      10.6+, Java on 10.7), and shipping a 3-arch OS when only a 2-arch OS
                      is needed certainly leans in the "Rosetta needs it, but it's too big
                      and too difficult to safely install after the fact when the user
                      needs Rosetta" direction.

                      There was also a long thread on MacInTouch sometime last year where
                      people successfully installed the 10.6 Rosetta package on 10.7 and
                      got "Rosetta" running, but PPC apps failed to run. I looked it up
                      again, and the capstone post is here:
                      http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/lion/topic4948-004.html#item.141325
                      (It looks like the InsanelyMac people are trying to do exactly what I
                      "suggested", although apparently you have to start from the kernel!)

                      Note also in the article you cited Jobs and especially Schiller
                      remark that Rosetta is an Apple technology and that Transitive
                      technology is only a part of the whole, FWIW. This could mean
                      anything from "Rosetta is the technology covering the way we
                      integrated the QuickTransit product into the OS" to "We don't use
                      QuickTransit, but we licensed some pieces of it, or some IP related
                      to it, and developed Rosetta, which works in a similar but not
                      identical way". Since it's Apple, we'll likely never know (unless
                      perhaps Quicken 2007 for 10.7 comes out as the same old PPC app with
                      a Rosetta-like kludge attached and someone from Intuit spills the
                      beans on the details of their implementation and how it differed from
                      Rosetta.) :-P

                      >> re-architecting your app and
                      >> Rosetta to call those libraries in whatever location you install them
                      >>

                      >Um, assuming *arguendo* that you're correct vis-a-vis the "PPC
                      >libraries," wouldn't that be the linker's job?

                      Sure (or setting the DYLD_LIBRARY_* environment variables, as the
                      InsanelyMac thread suggested); I got a bit carried away ;-) But
                      you'd still have to reconfigure your build system in the former case,
                      which may range from trivial to difficult, depending on the quality
                      of that system.

                      At any rate, this is way off in the weeds now for this group, so we
                      should probably move back to discussing other cross-architecture
                      technologies such as WordPerfect-Mac in SheepShaver ;-)

                      Smokey
                    • Chris Harshman
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 10, 2012
                        On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 7:55 PM, Smokey Ardisson
                        <smokey.ardisson@...>wrote:

                        > **
                        > 10.6 shipped with PPC versions of all system libraries:
                        >
                        > http://symbols.mozilla.org/symbols_os/Mac_OS_X-10_6_8-10K549-Security_Update_2011-006-symbols.txt

                        Which actually makes my interpretation stronger; Rosetta ran underneath the
                        PPC libraries. Since Lion has no Rosetta, it would have no PPC libraries...

                        If Rosetta was just 'traffic cop,' why wouldn't it have routed PPC library
                        calls to their Intel equivalents?

                        There was also a long thread on MacInTouch sometime last year where
                        > people successfully installed the 10.6 Rosetta package on 10.7 and
                        > got "Rosetta" running, but PPC apps failed to run. I looked it up
                        > again, and the capstone post is here:
                        > http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/lion/topic4948-004.html#item.141325

                        "Rosetta's not actually their software, just something they licensed up
                        through Snow Leopard. It currently belongs to IBM..." :)

                        That post also reaffirms my understanding of Rosetta's operation.

                        PowerPC app loads. Through its symbol table, it causes the linker to load
                        the PPC libraries it's linked against. That linked executable (comprised of
                        PPC code) is then transmogrified via Rosetta into Intel instructions.

                        At any rate, this is way off in the weeds now for this group, so we
                        > should probably move back to discussing other cross-architecture
                        > technologies such as WordPerfect-Mac in SheepShaver ;-)

                        I tried the SheepShaver 3.5 WP, was hoping it would work for me, but even
                        though it's contemporaneous with WP 8 for Linux/Windows, it doesn't handle
                        documents with any sort of complex formatting (i.e., WP macro generated
                        pleading paper), so, I'm still stuck using Wine and WordPerfect for Windows
                        12... :\