Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

WPMac stalls during startup

Expand Messages
  • Dave Green
    I had WPMac working nicely and then I repaired disk permissions with Disk Utility on my Mac OS X 10.6. Now WPMac tries to open but stalls after displaying the
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 29, 2011
    • 0 Attachment
      I had WPMac working nicely and then I repaired disk permissions with Disk Utility on my Mac OS X 10.6. Now WPMac tries to open but stalls after displaying the menu bar. The window never opens.

      I tried deleting the plist files, but that didn't help. What can I try next?
    • em315
      Two questions. Please answer both of them - it s really important to answer both (1) AND (2): (1) Exactly which program are you using to run WPMac? Is it the
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 29, 2011
      • 0 Attachment
        Two questions. Please answer both of them - it's really important to answer both (1) AND (2):

        (1) Exactly which program are you using to run WPMac? Is it the WP/SheepShaver Install available from this forum, or is it the one described here:

        http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/mac-intel.html

        or is it something else entirely?

        (2) Are you saying that SheepShaver doesn't get past the menu bar, so you never see the "classic" Mac OS desktop, OR are you saying that after SheepShaver starts up and you see the MacOS desktop that WordPerfect doesn't get past the WordPerfect menu bar?

        Probably the easiest thing to do is to reinstall whatever you are using to run WPMac.

        If you can possibly post a screen shot of what you are seeing, that would help a lot. You can create a screen shot in OS X by pressing Cmd-Shift-3. But, even if you can't post a screenshot, please answer BOTH questions.


        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Green" <DaveG56313@...> wrote:
        >
        > I had WPMac working nicely and then I repaired disk permissions with Disk Utility on my Mac OS X 10.6. Now WPMac tries to open but stalls after displaying the menu bar. The window never opens.
        >
        > I tried deleting the plist files, but that didn't help. What can I try next?
        >
      • Dave Green
        1) I m running the WPMac Appliance from http://www.columbia.edu with some modifications. I had used the version that allows you to set the Unix drive to a
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 29, 2011
        • 0 Attachment
          1) I'm running the WPMac Appliance from http://www.columbia.edu with some modifications. I had used the version that allows you to set the Unix drive to a different folder, and I had changed the setup so WordPerfect does not open automatically.

          2) It doesn't get past the menu bar. I never see the "classic" Mac OS desktop.

          This is all that is displayed:

          ----------





          On December 29, 2011, at 4:18 PM, em315 wrote:

          > Two questions. Please answer both of them - it's really important to answer both (1) AND (2):
          >
          > (1) Exactly which program are you using to run WPMac? Is it the WP/SheepShaver Install available from this forum, or is it the one described here:
          >
          > http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/mac-intel.html
          >
          > or is it something else entirely?
          >
          > (2) Are you saying that SheepShaver doesn't get past the menu bar, so you never see the "classic" Mac OS desktop, OR are you saying that after SheepShaver starts up and you see the MacOS desktop that WordPerfect doesn't get past the WordPerfect menu bar?
          >
          > Probably the easiest thing to do is to reinstall whatever you are using to run WPMac.
          >
          > If you can possibly post a screen shot of what you are seeing, that would help a lot. You can create a screen shot in OS X by pressing Cmd-Shift-3. But, even if you can't post a screenshot, please answer BOTH questions.
          >
          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Green" <DaveG56313@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I had WPMac working nicely and then I repaired disk permissions with Disk Utility on my Mac OS X 10.6. Now WPMac tries to open but stalls after displaying the menu bar. The window never opens.
          > >
          > > I tried deleting the plist files, but that didn't help. What can I try next?
          > >
          >
          >



          [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        • em315
          SheepShaver is notoriously delicate and easy to break. A repair-permissions shouldn t hurt it - I repair permissions fairly often. Probably the best thing is
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 30, 2011
          • 0 Attachment
            SheepShaver is notoriously delicate and easy to break. A repair-permissions shouldn't hurt it - I repair permissions fairly often. Probably the best thing is to download the latest version and reinstall it from the start.

            If you want to save your existing virtual hard disk, for possible reuse in the newly installed system, you can find the file here:

            Ctrl-click on the existing WPMac Appliance application
            Choose Show Package Contents
            Navigate: Contents -> Resources -> Files
            Ctrl-click on MacOS.SheepVM
            Chose Show Package Contents

            The virtual hard disk is the 1 GB .dsk file. Copy it somewhere safe. When you install the new version, make sure it runs, then copy your existing disk image over the one in the new version (after making a backup copy somewhere of the dsk file in the new version).

            If the new version doesn't get past the title bar, then you know the problem is in your existing disk image, and you can use the new copy of the disk image instead.


            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Dave Green <DaveG56313@...> wrote:
            >
            > 1) I'm running the WPMac Appliance from http://www.columbia.edu with some modifications. I had used the version that allows you to set the Unix drive to a different folder, and I had changed the setup so WordPerfect does not open automatically.
            >
            > 2) It doesn't get past the menu bar. I never see the "classic" Mac OS desktop.
            >
            > This is all that is displayed:
            >
            > ----------
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            > On December 29, 2011, at 4:18 PM, em315 wrote:
            >
            > > Two questions. Please answer both of them - it's really important to answer both (1) AND (2):
            > >
            > > (1) Exactly which program are you using to run WPMac? Is it the WP/SheepShaver Install available from this forum, or is it the one described here:
            > >
            > > http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/mac-intel.html
            > >
            > > or is it something else entirely?
            > >
            > > (2) Are you saying that SheepShaver doesn't get past the menu bar, so you never see the "classic" Mac OS desktop, OR are you saying that after SheepShaver starts up and you see the MacOS desktop that WordPerfect doesn't get past the WordPerfect menu bar?
            > >
            > > Probably the easiest thing to do is to reinstall whatever you are using to run WPMac.
            > >
            > > If you can possibly post a screen shot of what you are seeing, that would help a lot. You can create a screen shot in OS X by pressing Cmd-Shift-3. But, even if you can't post a screenshot, please answer BOTH questions.
            > >
            > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Green" <DaveG56313@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I had WPMac working nicely and then I repaired disk permissions with Disk Utility on my Mac OS X 10.6. Now WPMac tries to open but stalls after displaying the menu bar. The window never opens.
            > > >
            > > > I tried deleting the plist files, but that didn't help. What can I try next?
            > > >
            > >
            > >
            >
            >
            >
            > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            >
          • John R
            ... Where can I read more about this? I don t see anything pre-Lion on emaculation.com/forum. BTW to the OP: if something doesn t work after a permissions
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 8, 2012
            • 0 Attachment
              > SheepShaver is notoriously delicate and easy to break. A repair-permissions shouldn't hurt it

              Where can I read more about this? I don't see anything pre-Lion on emaculation.com/forum.

              BTW to the OP: if something doesn't work after a permissions repair, the first step I'd take is repair permissions again. But as long as you're in Disk Utility, the first thing I'd do is verify your startup disk, before repairing permissions. The free maintenance utility Onyx (link in the Links section here) automates that.

              >Now that you can run that WPMac App on your system, maybe you can figure out (I can't) the timing problem in the "Background Actions Script" - sometimes, when I quit WPMac with that script running in the background, it starts up again a
              couple of seconds later. I don't have a clue about what's causing it or how to
              fix it.

              It may be that you quit the app in the middle of the idle handler, which launches or activates WP more than once. Let me see what I can figure out.

              John R.
            • John R
              ... At http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7360, the person who has done several recent Sheepshaver builds says he thinks the version of 25
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 8, 2012
              • 0 Attachment
                > > SheepShaver is notoriously delicate and easy to break. A repair-permissions shouldn't hurt it

                At http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7360, the person who has done several recent Sheepshaver builds says he thinks the version of 25 October 2009 is the most stable, more so than the 11 November 2010 build.

                My most recent Sheepshaver-Wordperfect installer includes the 2010 build. My next update will go to the 2009 one, as well as include Gero's updated Spotlight & Quicklook files.

                John R.
              • em315
                ... I was writing from experience; the build I use in the WPMacApp seems to be quite reliable, but others seem to be less so, and I ve seen some of those other
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 9, 2012
                • 0 Attachment
                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John R" <johnrethorst@...> wrote:

                  > > SheepShaver is notoriously delicate and easy to break. A repair-permissions shouldn't hurt it
                  >
                  > Where can I read more about this? I don't see anything pre-Lion on emaculation.com/forum.
                  >
                  I was writing from experience; the build I use in the WPMacApp seems to be quite reliable, but others seem to be less so, and I've seen some of those other versions stop working without any clear reason. I'm writing from a Windows machine, and I can't remember exactly which build I use in the WPMacApp, but it's probably the one mentioned in your next message after this one.
                • em315
                  ... Also from various reports on emaculation.com of emulators that simply stopped working. There are plenty of threads where the moderators ask for the
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 9, 2012
                  • 0 Attachment
                    --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "em315" <em315@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John R" <johnrethorst@> wrote:
                    >
                    > > > SheepShaver is notoriously delicate and easy to break. A repair-permissions shouldn't hurt it
                    > >
                    >
                    > I was writing from experience;

                    Also from various reports on emaculation.com of emulators that simply stopped working. There are plenty of threads where the moderators ask for the contents of the prefs file in the hope of sorting it out.
                  • John R
                    ... The script below tests different ways to exit an idle handler. The Quit command quits the whole script, but only after the handler completes. Error number
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 12, 2012
                    • 0 Attachment
                      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John R" <johnrethorst@...> wrote:

                      > It may be that you quit the app in the middle of the idle handler,
                      > which launches or activates WP more than once. Let me see what
                      > I can figure out.

                      The script below tests different ways to exit an idle handler. The Quit command quits the whole script, but only after the handler completes. Error number -128 and Return exit the handler, but it runs again after 30 seconds (or, if a number follows Return, that number of seconds). If the idle handler tells WP to run (or launch or activate), that command will still execute.

                      So you could do something like:

                      tell application "Finder"
                      if creator type of processes contains "WPC2"
                      --do something
                      else
                      tell me to quit
                      return
                      end tell

                      -----------
                      test script:


                      global biff

                      on run
                      set biff to choose from list {"Quit", "Error number -128", "Return"} with prompt ¬
                      "Choose what to do in the idle handler:" with multiple selections allowed and empty selection allowed
                      if biff = false then
                      quit
                      return
                      end if
                      end run

                      on idle
                      display dialog "1" giving up after 1
                      display dialog "2" giving up after 1
                      display dialog "3" giving up after 1

                      --**********

                      if biff contains "Quit" then quit

                      if biff contains "Error number -128" then error number -128

                      if biff contains "Return" then return

                      --**********

                      display dialog "4" giving up after 1
                      display dialog "5" giving up after 1
                      display dialog "6" giving up after 1

                      return 2
                      end idle
                    • em315
                      ... Here s where it becomes clear that you know what you re doing and I don t. I simply don t know what I should be doing with the script that you posted. I m
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 12, 2012
                      • 0 Attachment
                        > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John R" <johnrethorst@> wrote:
                        > The script below tests different ways to exit an idle handler. The Quit command quits the whole script, but only after the handler completes. Error number -128 and Return exit the handler, but it runs again after 30 seconds (or, if a number follows Return, that number of seconds). If the idle handler tells WP to run (or launch or activate), that command will still execute.

                        Here's where it becomes clear that you know what you're doing and I don't. I simply don't know what I should be doing with the script that you posted. I'm sorry to be so dense, but any suggestions would be very helpful.

                        Meanwhile, for what it's worth, here's the on idle loop in my background script. It's probably stolen mostly from yours. Again, the mystery is why sometimes - but only sometimes - when I tell the Mac OS to quit (and thus quit SheepShaver), and my background script is running in the background, WP starts up and blocks the shutdown. Of course, I can't make it do this today, but it's happened now and then in the past.

                        ------------

                        on idle
                        if alreadyOpen is 1 then
                        tell application "Finder"
                        if exists (some process whose name contains "Corel WordPerfect") then
                        tell application "Corel WordPerfect" to activate
                        set alreadyOpen to 0
                        end if
                        end tell
                        end if
                        try
                        tell application "Finder" to set transferDoc to transferFile as alias
                        on error
                        return 0.5
                        end try

                        set tid to text item delimiters
                        set text item delimiters to return

                        set filePaths to (read transferDoc)
                        set fileList to text items of filePaths

                        tell application "Corel WordPerfect"
                        launch
                        --Do Script "On Startup"
                        if fileList is "" then
                        else
                        repeat with i from 1 to ((count items in fileList) - 1)
                        try
                        set thisFile to (item i of fileList as string)
                        open (thisFile as alias)
                        on error
                        display dialog "I could not open "" & thisFile & ""." buttons ¬
                        {"OK"} default button 1 with icon caution
                        exit repeat
                        end try
                        end repeat
                        end if
                        end tell

                        try
                        deleteFile transferDoc -- Jon's Commands
                        on error
                        tell application "Finder" to delete transferDoc
                        end try

                        set text item delimiters to tid
                        set fileList to ""
                        return 0.5
                        end idle

                        --------------

                        Does this look as if there's something obviously wrong with it?
                      • em315
                        I ve experimented a bit with this, and I think I see what I should do with this, but I m not entirely sure. So, to confirm - should I insert this code into my
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 16, 2012
                        • 0 Attachment
                          I've experimented a bit with this, and I think I see what I should do with this, but I'm not entirely sure.

                          So, to confirm - should I insert this code into my background script, select one of the options, and see which one most reliably avoids restarting WP? I'm not sure I know how to fit this in. Any advice would be welcome!

                          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John R" <johnrethorst@...> wrote:
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John R" <johnrethorst@> wrote:
                          >
                          > > It may be that you quit the app in the middle of the idle handler,
                          > > which launches or activates WP more than once. Let me see what
                          > > I can figure out.
                          >
                          > The script below tests different ways to exit an idle handler. The Quit command quits the whole script, but only after the handler completes. Error number -128 and Return exit the handler, but it runs again after 30 seconds (or, if a number follows Return, that number of seconds). If the idle handler tells WP to run (or launch or activate), that command will still execute.
                          >
                          > So you could do something like:
                          >
                          > tell application "Finder"
                          > if creator type of processes contains "WPC2"
                          > --do something
                          > else
                          > tell me to quit
                          > return
                          > end tell
                          >
                          > -----------
                          > test script:
                          >
                          >
                          > global biff
                          >
                          > on run
                          > set biff to choose from list {"Quit", "Error number -128", "Return"} with prompt ¬
                          > "Choose what to do in the idle handler:" with multiple selections allowed and empty selection allowed
                          > if biff = false then
                          > quit
                          > return
                          > end if
                          > end run
                          >
                          > on idle
                          > display dialog "1" giving up after 1
                          > display dialog "2" giving up after 1
                          > display dialog "3" giving up after 1
                          >
                          > --**********
                          >
                          > if biff contains "Quit" then quit
                          >
                          > if biff contains "Error number -128" then error number -128
                          >
                          > if biff contains "Return" then return
                          >
                          > --**********
                          >
                          > display dialog "4" giving up after 1
                          > display dialog "5" giving up after 1
                          > display dialog "6" giving up after 1
                          >
                          > return 2
                          > end idle
                          >
                        • John R
                          ... The more I look at this, the less I can figure out. Running my earlier test script a few times, I saw that an error number -128 in an idle handler will
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 18, 2012
                          • 0 Attachment
                            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "em315" <em315@...> wrote:

                            > the mystery is why sometimes - but only sometimes - when I tell the Mac OS to quit (and thus quit SheepShaver), and my background script is running in the background, WP starts up and blocks the shutdown.

                            The more I look at this, the less I can figure out. Running my earlier test script a few times, I saw that an error number -128 in an idle handler will sometimes not exit the handler. But you're not doing that here; all I can think of is that even if there isn't a transferDoc file in the expected folder, the handler continues to execute and WP launches. I'd think it's not necessary to launch WP; if the script tells the program to open a file, that would run the program. I'm sorry that I can't see anything more useful at this point.

                            FWIW here's a few much less important questions and suggestions, prefaced by a "--**" on each line.


                            on idle
                            if alreadyOpen is 1 then
                            tell application "Finder"
                            if exists (some process whose name contains "Corel WordPerfect") then
                            tell application "WordPerfect" to activate
                            set alreadyOpen to 0
                            end if
                            end tell
                            end if

                            --** instead of <if exists some process whose name contains> (or process 1 whose name contains), why not
                            --** do <if creator type of processes contains "WPC2">, since the user may have changed the name of the app,

                            try
                            tell application "Finder" to set transferDoc to transferFile as alias
                            on error
                            return 0.5
                            end try

                            set tid to text item delimiters
                            set text item delimiters to return

                            set filePaths to (read transferDoc)
                            set fileList to text items of filePaths

                            tell application "WordPerfect"
                            launch
                            --Do Script "On Startup"

                            --** the automatic script needs to be named <OnStartup> without a space to work as such in WP..
                            --** The launch command starts WP without running the script. Nothing wrong with either way,
                            --** but what's the advantage of not running the script?

                            if fileList is "" then
                            else

                            --** you could do <if fileList is not "" then> but there should be content in fileList at this point,
                            --** unless transferDoc for some reason has no text in it that could be file paths.
                            --** Probably best to have this check though.

                            repeat with i from 1 to ((count items in fileList) - 1)
                            try
                            set thisFile to (item i of fileList as string)
                            open (thisFile as alias)
                            on error
                            display dialog "I could not open "" & thisFile & ""." buttons ¬
                            {"OK"} default button 1 with icon caution
                            exit repeat
                            end try
                            end repeat
                            end if
                            end tell

                            try
                            deleteFile transferDoc -- Jon's Commands
                            on error
                            tell application "Finder" to delete transferDoc
                            end try

                            set text item delimiters to tid
                            set fileList to ""
                            return 0.5
                            end idle
                          • em315
                            Many thanks for this. Adding the On Startup script was my mistake - I didn t know there was an OnStartup macro that launched automatically on startup. So
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 19, 2012
                            • 0 Attachment
                              Many thanks for this. Adding the "On Startup" script was my mistake - I didn't know there was an "OnStartup" macro that launched automatically on startup. So may I assume I'm right in thinking that there's no need to specify that OnStartup should run, because it runs anyway?

                              I've made that change, and have also changed the part that tests for the process - I now use your method of checking for the process that contains WPC2.

                              I didn't (yet) change from launching WP and opening the file to simply opening the file (presumably by telling application "Finder" to open it), but will do so later. Meanwhile, I've prepared the slightly revised version for uploading and will do so today.

                              Will experiment with the change from launch-WP-and-open to just open later and will add then when I'm sure it works.

                              Thank you again for this. I don't actually use this - I use WPDOS - but I enjoy putting this together as a mental exercise and public service.



                              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John R" <johnrethorst@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "em315" <em315@> wrote:
                              >
                              > > the mystery is why sometimes - but only sometimes - when I tell the Mac OS to quit (and thus quit SheepShaver), and my background script is running in the background, WP starts up and blocks the shutdown.
                              >
                              > The more I look at this, the less I can figure out. Running my earlier test script a few times, I saw that an error number -128 in an idle handler will sometimes not exit the handler. But you're not doing that here; all I can think of is that even if there isn't a transferDoc file in the expected folder, the handler continues to execute and WP launches. I'd think it's not necessary to launch WP; if the script tells the program to open a file, that would run the program. I'm sorry that I can't see anything more useful at this point.
                              >
                              > FWIW here's a few much less important questions and suggestions, prefaced by a "--**" on each line.
                              >
                              >
                              > on idle
                              > if alreadyOpen is 1 then
                              > tell application "Finder"
                              > if exists (some process whose name contains "Corel WordPerfect") then
                              > tell application "WordPerfect" to activate
                              > set alreadyOpen to 0
                              > end if
                              > end tell
                              > end if
                              >
                              > --** instead of <if exists some process whose name contains> (or process 1 whose name contains), why not
                              > --** do <if creator type of processes contains "WPC2">, since the user may have changed the name of the app,
                              >
                              > try
                              > tell application "Finder" to set transferDoc to transferFile as alias
                              > on error
                              > return 0.5
                              > end try
                              >
                              > set tid to text item delimiters
                              > set text item delimiters to return
                              >
                              > set filePaths to (read transferDoc)
                              > set fileList to text items of filePaths
                              >
                              > tell application "WordPerfect"
                              > launch
                              > --Do Script "On Startup"
                              >
                              > --** the automatic script needs to be named <OnStartup> without a space to work as such in WP..
                              > --** The launch command starts WP without running the script. Nothing wrong with either way,
                              > --** but what's the advantage of not running the script?
                              >
                              > if fileList is "" then
                              > else
                              >
                              > --** you could do <if fileList is not "" then> but there should be content in fileList at this point,
                              > --** unless transferDoc for some reason has no text in it that could be file paths.
                              > --** Probably best to have this check though.
                              >
                              > repeat with i from 1 to ((count items in fileList) - 1)
                              > try
                              > set thisFile to (item i of fileList as string)
                              > open (thisFile as alias)
                              > on error
                              > display dialog "I could not open "" & thisFile & ""." buttons ¬
                              > {"OK"} default button 1 with icon caution
                              > exit repeat
                              > end try
                              > end repeat
                              > end if
                              > end tell
                              >
                              > try
                              > deleteFile transferDoc -- Jon's Commands
                              > on error
                              > tell application "Finder" to delete transferDoc
                              > end try
                              >
                              > set text item delimiters to tid
                              > set fileList to ""
                              > return 0.5
                              > end idle
                              >
                            • John R
                              ... if WP is not running: tell application WordPerfect to activate -- runs OnStartup, opens new document, brings app to front tell application WordPerfect
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 23, 2012
                              • 0 Attachment
                                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "em315" <em315@...> wrote:

                                > So may I assume I'm right in thinking that there's no need to specify that OnStartup should run, because it runs anyway?

                                if WP is not running:

                                tell application "WordPerfect" to activate
                                --> runs OnStartup, opens new document, brings app to front

                                tell application "WordPerfect" to run
                                --> runs OnStartup, opens new document, does not bring app to front

                                tell application "WordPerfect" to launch
                                --> loads app into memory but doesn't do anything else

                                If WP is running, the launch and run commands do nothing; the activate command brings the app to the front.

                                > Thank you again for this. I don't actually use this - I use WPDOS - but I enjoy putting this together as a mental exercise and public service.

                                It's a great public service. Thank you.

                                John R.
                              • em315
                                Thank you for this - it lets me sort out my script a bit more. I ll upload an improved version by the morning. The new version adds one more feature. It
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 23, 2012
                                • 0 Attachment
                                  Thank you for this - it lets me sort out my script a bit more. I'll upload an improved version by the morning.

                                  The new version adds one more feature. It occurred to me that it might be useful to shutdown SheepShaver in an orderly way by running a script in OS X that would tell SheepShaver to shut down.

                                  So I've written a script that will do exactly that with the WPMacApp, provided that the user hasn't quit the script that runs in the background in SheepShaver when it's running. A copy of the script is stored inside the WPMacApp. (Show Package Contents ->Resources->Files and copy the ShutdownWPMacApp application somewhere else.) When you run the ShutdownWPMacApp application in OS X, a few seconds later, the WPMacApp itself will shut down. All this, of course, is based on your method of using AppleScript to communicate between OS X and SheepShaver.

                                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John R" <johnrethorst@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "em315" <em315@> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > So may I assume I'm right in thinking that there's no need to specify that OnStartup should run, because it runs anyway?
                                  >
                                  > if WP is not running:
                                  >
                                  > tell application "WordPerfect" to activate
                                  > --> runs OnStartup, opens new document, brings app to front
                                  >
                                  > tell application "WordPerfect" to run
                                  > --> runs OnStartup, opens new document, does not bring app to front
                                  >
                                  > tell application "WordPerfect" to launch
                                  > --> loads app into memory but doesn't do anything else
                                  >
                                  > If WP is running, the launch and run commands do nothing; the activate command brings the app to the front.
                                  >
                                  > > Thank you again for this. I don't actually use this - I use WPDOS - but I enjoy putting this together as a mental exercise and public service.
                                  >
                                  > It's a great public service. Thank you.
                                  >
                                  > John R.
                                  >
                                Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.