pdf

  • Michael Luskin
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 26, 2011
      I copy documents into Word in order to save them as pdf. This messes up
      formatting, and so forth. Is it possible to somehow save them as pdf in
      Wordperfect?

      Thank you.

      Michael B. Luskin
    • kd4vs
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 27, 2011
        Michael Luskin wrote:

        ----

        > I copy documents into Word in order to save them as pdf. This messes up formatting, and so forth. Is it possible to somehow save them as pdf in Wordperfect?<

        ----

        I have the Acrobat PDFWriter Chooser Extension installed as part of a standard installation of Adobe Acrobat v 4.0. I use it to generate PDFs in WordPerfect and other Classic programs. It works like a charm.

        I also have a Desktop Printer in OS 10.4.11, Adobe PDF, that performs a similar function. That virtual printer is the result of an installation of Acrobat Pro v 7.0.

        If you do not have Adobe Acrobat installed, but do have the LaserWriter 8 Chooser Extension installed and selected, you should be able to generate PDFs as follows...

        1. In WordPerfect, issue a Print command.

        2. In the resulting dialogue box,

        a. specify "File" as the "Destination."

        b. in the options tab on the line below "Printer", select
        "Save As File."

        c. select "PostScript Job" as the "Format."

        d. select "PostScript Level 2 and 3 Compatible" as the "PostScript Level."

        e. select "ASCII" as the "Data Format."

        f. you can select "None" for "Font Inclusion."

        3. Click on the Save button. In the resulting dialogue box, select the (OS X) desktop as the destination for the .ps file, and then click on the Save button.

        4. Once the .ps file has appeared on the desktop, open it in the OS X program Preview, then Save As, selecting PDF as the file type and None as the Quartz Filter.

        5. Click on the Save button.
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 27, 2011
          For straightforward pdf from WP, I use PrintToPDF by Jim Walker
          <http://www.jwwalker.com/>
          It's now free
          Geoff Gilbert
          Professor of Law
          Head of the School of Law
          School of Law and Human Rights Centre
          University of Essex
          Wivenhoe Park
          Colchester
          CO4 3SQ

          Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
          Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
          essex.ac.uk)

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 27, 2011
            The system posted here:

            wpdos.org/mac-intel.html

            offers to set up a PDF creator when you install it. John's SheepShaver-WP setup also can create PDF files.

            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Michael Luskin <michael.benjamin.luskin@...> wrote:

            > I copy documents into Word in order to save them as pdf. This messes up
            > formatting, and so forth. Is it possible to somehow save them as pdf in
            > Wordperfect?
            >
            > Thank you.
            >
            > Michael B. Luskin

          • Rick Albright
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 27, 2011
              I've used the LaserWriter 8 chooser extension method (print to file in PS format, open in Preview) a number of times and it works very well.

              Be advised, though, that in some cases you may not want to select "none" for the font inclusion. I needed to create some PDFs to open on Windows machines, and if you don't happen to have one of the same fonts that is standard on Windows boxes (or you're using a font that may not be on another Mac), your results may look very different from what you expect due to font substitution. In such cases you will need to go to "font settings" (this is in the LaserWriter 8 print dialog, where it comes up with "general" in the drop-down list box) and choose "always download needed fonts" (this is not checked in the default setting) to save your fonts. It will make the resulting file significantly larger, if that's a consideration, but it does guarantee that your results match what you see on your Mac.

              > > Michael Luskin wrote:
              > >
              > >> f. you can select "None" for "Font Inclusion."

              Rick Albright
              logres@...

              http://www.powells.com/biblio/72-9780980149647-0