Does WPMac benefit from QuickDraw GX?

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 18, 2011
      WPMac 3.1 onwards was compatible with QuickDraw GX, but does it benefit from it? I recently came across a posting on another forum that suggests that screen display improves with QuickDraw GX installed (at least with System 7.6.1):

      http://forums.system7today.com/viewtopic.php?p=5478&highlight=&sid=9fdceae5474d47c9240434869c0f68e8

      (You may need to combine that two-line link into one in a text editor before using it.)

      Is this a fantasy? Would John's SheepShaver/WP setup or my WPMacApp benefit from having QuickDraw GX installed?

      The version of my WPMacApp currently posted has QuickDraw GX installed, but no obvious differences stand out. Here's the link if anyone is interested:

      http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WPMacApp%20Installer.dmg

      Any insight gratefully received.
    • Joseph Bush
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 18, 2011
        A while ago, I was running WPMac on two different minis. One is a G4 with Tiger and the other is an Intel CoreDuo that also ran Tiger at the time. The G4 had the discrete WPMac package installed in Classic while the Intel was running John's Sheepshaver package. I used John's posted install guide. Both machines used the same display (I ran them consecutively for awhile).

        I posted here my perception that WPMac in Sheepshaver looked 'better' (smoother fonts and a nicer display overall) than the WPMac in Classic. IIRC, John also posted that he had a similar experience. So now I'm wondering if QuickDraw had anything to do with it. Note the G4 Mini had a ATI Radeon Graphics card, while the CoreDuo had the 'integrated' Intel GMA graphics.

        But I don't know if QuickDraw was implemented in Classic.

        Joe

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 18, 2011
          Thanks for this. QuickDraw GX is a different thing from QuickDraw. QuickDraw is an integral part of the OS, but QuickDraw GX is a separate technology that can be installed or omitted. Under OS 7/8, QuickDraw GX needs to be installed separately as an option. I don't see that option under OS 9, and I think - but am not certain - that QuickDraw GX got dropped by the time OS 9 was released.

          So the question of whether QuickDraw GX affects WPMac screen display is still open. Any information will be gratefully received.

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 18, 2011
            Further to this; QuickDraw GX seems to be enabled in OS 9 - but it's not clear whether it's enabled ONLY when you install a foreign language kit that includes ligature substitution (e.g. Arabic), or whether it's enabled by default. When you install Arabic in OS 9, you get a control panel which lets you enable or disable the QuickDraw GX feature that combines characters. It's not clear whether GX is installed until you install WorldScript (which gets installed with Arabic and other alphabets).