Re: [wpmac] Spotlight & Quick Look plug-ins now enable WPG previews

  • sardisson
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 16, 2011

      > Very OT

      Going further off-topic (for hopefully just one message more)… ;-)

      > but Yasu and Onyx are two of many free tools that rebuild the Launch Services database.

      I try to avoid a complete reset of the LaunchServices database, because it throws out any custom application<->file bindings you've established (except per-file ones, which are stored in the file's resource fork).

      Usually moving an application or plug-in bundle to a new location and back is sufficient to update that application, though not always.

      Sometimes the complete reset is the only way to fix things. :-(

      > I use them all the time, because each time I revise one of my apps, the "Open With" menu adds a pair of parentheses (like this - () ) to the application's name, apparently in some attempt to indicate separate version numbers. It gets fixed by rebuilding the Launch Services database.

      :-O That's…unpleasant.

      Assuming you don't have multiple copies of the app running around on your disk, have you tried resetting the database's entry for just the app in question, rather than blowing away the whole database?

      10.3/10.4:

      /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -v -f /posix/path/to/app

      10.5 (and up?):

      /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -v -f /posix/path/to/app

      (I actually wrote an AppleScript wrapper around this that allowed me to drop an app on it, or choose the app via a filepicker, and trigger the update, no remembering and typing of long commands required.)

      Smokey