Re: [wpmac] & Quick Look plug-ins now enable WPG previews

  • Smokey Ardisson
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 15, 2011
      On Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:48 am ((PST)), "gero_herrmann" <yahoo.no@_> wrote:

      >I just released version 3.5 of the Spotlight & Quick Look plug-ins.

      :-D

      >With this version, Quick Look previews for WPG files have become
      >possible. WPG files are handled through a newly defined UTI
      >"com.corel.wordperfect.graphics".

      I've just discovered that Pixelmator (I have an old demo version of
      v1.2 here) unfortunately declares a bad UTI of "com.wpg.wpg" for .wpg
      files in its .qlgenerator. I'm going to do a new release of "Open WP
      Files" that adds Gero's UTI info for .wpg files to the plist, in the
      hopes it will override the UTI set by Pixelmator's qlgenerator
      (since, for me, .wpg files are set to "open" in Open WP Files.

      (The Pixelmator generator in v1.2 also has the distinct disadvantage
      of crashing and failing to preview .wpg files, to it's a real pain
      :-P ).

      [...]

      So far I've had no luck fixing things, even when I disable the WPG
      part of the Pixelmator generator *and* add the bogus UTI to Gero's
      generator's plist (resetting all generators, of course). I can
      sometimes get qlmanage to give me a preview if I both force use of
      Gero's generator and force use of Gero's content-type. (I wish
      Spotlight would let you do that :-P ) I wish Apple had a UTI debug
      tool that would tell me all the places that a particular UTI was
      declared. I fear that I'm going to have to completely zap my
      Spotlight database to purge all traces of this bogus "com.wpg.wpg"
      UTI :-(

      >The Quick Look previews of WP documents now display multiple spaces
      >and multiple columns, page breaks with headers and footers, and
      >comments. More images are now displayed in documents, in particular
      >(probably) all bitmap images in non-Mac WP documents. Line spacing
      >after line breaks, spacing around images, and image placement has
      >been improved.

      :-D

      Smokey
    • sardisson
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 15, 2011
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Smokey Ardisson <smokey.ardisson@...> wrote:

        > I've just discovered that Pixelmator (I have an old demo version of
        > v1.2 here) unfortunately declares a bad UTI of "com.wpg.wpg" for .wpg
        > files in its .qlgenerator. I'm going to do a new release of "Open WP
        > Files" that adds Gero's UTI info for .wpg files to the plist, in the
        > hopes it will override the UTI set by Pixelmator's qlgenerator
        > (since, for me, .wpg files are set to "open" in Open WP Files.

        I mailed this new version to John this evening, although it didn't help me, unfortunately. :-( I ultimately had to hack out Pixelmator's qlgenerator's wpg support, because the OS was always choosing its UTI over the one from "Open WP Files", even though "Open WP Files" is my default app for opening all manner of WordPerfect files :-(

        > So far I've had no luck fixing things, even when I disable the WPG
        > part of the Pixelmator generator
        [...]
        > declared. I fear that I'm going to have to completely zap my
        > Spotlight database to purge all traces of this bogus "com.wpg.wpg"
        > UTI :-(

        Even purging my Spotlight db and rebuilding (after hacking away Pixelmator's qlgenerator's wpg support) didn't fix things for me. However, once I moved the Pixelmator app somewhere else and back (in order to make LaunchServices re-parse the .plist for the app and all of its plug-ins), new wpg files picked up the correct UTI and old ones started previewing (even with the bogus UTI). If I had remembered the LaunchServices bit, I probably could have saved myself the Spotlight db rebuild part of the "fix"…

        :Sigh: Stupid LaunchServices, stupid UTI system :-P

        But now my wpg files preview in Quick Look, smooth as silk. Thanks again, Gero, for these two awesome tools!

        Smokey
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 16, 2011
          Very OT, but Yasu and Onyx are two of many free tools that rebuild the Launch Services database. I use them all the time, because each time I revise one of my apps, the "Open With" menu adds a pair of parentheses (like this - () ) to the application's name, apparently in some attempt to indicate separate version numbers. It gets fixed by rebuilding the Launch Services database.

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 16, 2011

            > Very OT

            Going further off-topic (for hopefully just one message more)… ;-)

            > but Yasu and Onyx are two of many free tools that rebuild the Launch Services database.

            I try to avoid a complete reset of the LaunchServices database, because it throws out any custom application<->file bindings you've established (except per-file ones, which are stored in the file's resource fork).

            Usually moving an application or plug-in bundle to a new location and back is sufficient to update that application, though not always.

            Sometimes the complete reset is the only way to fix things. :-(

            > I use them all the time, because each time I revise one of my apps, the "Open With" menu adds a pair of parentheses (like this - () ) to the application's name, apparently in some attempt to indicate separate version numbers. It gets fixed by rebuilding the Launch Services database.

            :-O That's…unpleasant.

            Assuming you don't have multiple copies of the app running around on your disk, have you tried resetting the database's entry for just the app in question, rather than blowing away the whole database?

            10.3/10.4:

            /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -v -f /posix/path/to/app

            10.5 (and up?):

            /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -v -f /posix/path/to/app

            (I actually wrote an AppleScript wrapper around this that allowed me to drop an app on it, or choose the app via a filepicker, and trigger the update, no remembering and typing of long commands required.)

            Smokey