Re: [wpmac] Re: WP Viewer opens Mac docs

  • Chad Smith
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 11, 2011
      I guess I was more offering it as a free alternative to the originally posted link.

      *- Chad W. Smith*
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 11, 2011
        I certainly didn't take it as a jab. The limitation of QuickLook - even Gero Hermann's amazing WP QuickLook viewer - is that you can't copy any text from a QuickLook preview, and can't save the text in any editable format. That seems to me the best reason to have something like this, even though it's got all the limitations that come with wpd2html. At least you can get the contents of the main text, footnotes, headers, etc.

        But, as you say, absolutely yes: highlight a WP file, tap the spacebar, and Gero's QuickLook filter shows what's in it. You'll simply need something else to get anything OUT of it.

        While I'm here, I should mention that the wpdlib library includes a very fast, very powerful tool for converting WP files with almost all format intact - wpd2odt, which converts WP to OpenOffice/LibreOffice format. And TextEdit can display that output - but unfortunately TextEdit does NOT display the contents of footnotes, headers, etc., when displaying ODT files, so you need a full-scale application to work with the ODT output.