Re: [wpmac] Re: WP Viewer opens Mac docs

  • Chad Smith
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 11, 2011
      Doesn't Open / LibreOffice also handle WP Files? Not perfectly, of course.

      *- Chad W. Smith*
      *"I like a man who's middle name is W."*
      President George W. Bush - February 10, 2003 bit.ly/gwb-dubya

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 11, 2011
        Of course yes. And so does my WPLO Converter (based on LibreOffice) and my WP Converter (which uses other programs to do the job). Search the forums for these.

        The one I posted a 400KB download for quick viewing and text extraction only. If you seriously want to use WP files on a Mac you need something else. I certainly don't think this 400KB thing is particularly good. But it's quick and small.

        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Chad Smith <chad78@...> wrote:

        > Doesn't Open / LibreOffice also handle WP Files? Not perfectly, of course.

      • sardisson
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 11, 2011
          > Still, for simple file viewing it's better than nothing.

          Luckily, for simple file viewing we have Gero's wonderful Quick Look plug-in, so we don't particularly need "better than nothing" ;-)

          (Not a jab against Edward, who does all sorts of awesome work, just a reminder that Gero's Quick Look plug-in is available, as John R. always says, "in the files section here", as "Spotlight Plug-in (Importer) 3.3.dmg")

          Smokey
        • Chad Smith
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 11, 2011
            I guess I was more offering it as a free alternative to the originally posted link.

            *- Chad W. Smith*
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 11, 2011
              I certainly didn't take it as a jab. The limitation of QuickLook - even Gero Hermann's amazing WP QuickLook viewer - is that you can't copy any text from a QuickLook preview, and can't save the text in any editable format. That seems to me the best reason to have something like this, even though it's got all the limitations that come with wpd2html. At least you can get the contents of the main text, footnotes, headers, etc.

              But, as you say, absolutely yes: highlight a WP file, tap the spacebar, and Gero's QuickLook filter shows what's in it. You'll simply need something else to get anything OUT of it.

              While I'm here, I should mention that the wpdlib library includes a very fast, very powerful tool for converting WP files with almost all format intact - wpd2odt, which converts WP to OpenOffice/LibreOffice format. And TextEdit can display that output - but unfortunately TextEdit does NOT display the contents of footnotes, headers, etc., when displaying ODT files, so you need a full-scale application to work with the ODT output.