Re: [wpmac] PPC Apps in Lion?

  • TradleyS
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 6, 2011
      If we can't use PowerPC software, we cannot use SheepShaver. And that's not good in my book.
      What's lame about this is I have several applications I've used on Snow Leopard (one good example being Plants VS. Zombies) and they just suddenly stop working here on Lion. And it's not like I can just update it like that (I didn't get it from the App Store).
      We definitely should find a way to overcome this.
      Yeah, I understand that we are trying to move forward. But it's also good to experience the past too.
      Is there anything anyone can do?

      > I'm sorry. I mean no disrespect, but I'm having difficulty understanding the relevance of this topic to WordPerfect. Does this mean that SheepShaver/WordPerfect will not run under Lion? If not, why are we debating this?
    • Joseph Bush
      Message 2 of 29 , Nov 7, 2011
        The following discussion is verbose in places, but is on the whole encouraging:

        http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7202

        Joe

        On Nov 6, 2011, at 4:22 PM, TradleyS <tradley11@...> wrote:

        > If we can't use PowerPC software, we cannot use SheepShaver. And that's not good in my book.
        > What's lame about this is I have several applications I've used on Snow Leopard (one good example being Plants VS. Zombies) and they just suddenly stop working here on Lion. And it's not like I can just update it like that (I didn't get it from the App Store).
        > We definitely should find a way to overcome this.
        > Yeah, I understand that we are trying to move forward. But it's also good to experience the past too.
        > Is there anything anyone can do?
        >
        > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Rick Albright <logres@...> wrote:
        >
        > > I'm sorry. I mean no disrespect, but I'm having difficulty understanding the relevance of this topic to WordPerfect. Does this mean that SheepShaver/WordPerfect will not run under Lion? If not, why are we debating this?

      • Chad Smith
        Message 3 of 29 , Nov 7, 2011
          Actually, SheepShaver is still usable under Lion, thankfully. Which I
          assume means it must be a Universal Binary, running under PPC and Intel
          chips.

          I was bummed about PvZ as well, since I bought it a long time ago, and not
          only had to buy it again, but now lost all my progress and have to start
          over.

          *- Chad W. Smith*

          Message 4 of 29 , Nov 7, 2011
            As you say, John's SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install setup and my WPMacApp Installer setup (both available here in the Links/SheepShaver and Basilisk folder) work perfectly well under Lion, and both are based on SheepShaver.

            Message 5 of 29 , Nov 7, 2011
              SheepShaver is a universal binary, which means it will run under Lion. See message #6948.

              Thus WordPerfect should run as well under Lion and current hardware as it did under system 6.02 and a Mac II.

              Just ten times faster.

              That said, I'd be happy to see reports from users of SS and Lion.

              > As you say, John's SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install setup and my WPMacApp Installer setup (both available here in the Links/SheepShaver and Basilisk folder) work perfectly well under Lion, and both are based on SheepShaver.
              >
              > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Chad Smith <chad78@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Actually, SheepShaver is still usable under Lion, thankfully. Which I
              > > assume means it must be a Universal Binary, running under PPC and Intel
              > > chips.

            • Chad Smith
              Message 6 of 29 , Nov 7, 2011
                I use SS under Lion. Works fine, other than I can't get it to go full
                screen. Which apparently is a known issue.

                *- Chad W. Smith*

                Message 7 of 29 , Nov 7, 2011
                  With my WPMacApp Appliance setup, you can hold down the Command key while launching the application, and it opens in a quasi-full screen mode (no visible dock, OS X menubar hidden until you move the mouse to the top of the screen, only a Sheepshaver title bar at the top). If you ever want to restore windowed mode, you can do that by holding down Option when launching the application.