Re: [wpmac] PPC Apps in Lion?

    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 21, 2011

      > Apple's end user license agreements for Snow Leopard and Lion do not
      > preclude installing Snow Leopard in a virtual environment, i.e., as a
      > guest OS.

      This is unfortunately incorrect. See, for example:

      https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3187252?start=0&tstart=0

      or any of a dozen other discussions of this subject. I asked an Apple executive whether Apple would now remove the restriction on virtualizing the consumer version of Snow Leopard, and he said no. (Snow Leopard SERVER may still legally be virtualized on Apple hardware, but not ordinary Snow Leopard.)
    • TradleyS
      Message 2 of 29 , Nov 6, 2011
        If we can't use PowerPC software, we cannot use SheepShaver. And that's not good in my book.
        What's lame about this is I have several applications I've used on Snow Leopard (one good example being Plants VS. Zombies) and they just suddenly stop working here on Lion. And it's not like I can just update it like that (I didn't get it from the App Store).
        We definitely should find a way to overcome this.
        Yeah, I understand that we are trying to move forward. But it's also good to experience the past too.
        Is there anything anyone can do?

        > I'm sorry. I mean no disrespect, but I'm having difficulty understanding the relevance of this topic to WordPerfect. Does this mean that SheepShaver/WordPerfect will not run under Lion? If not, why are we debating this?
      • Joseph Bush
        Message 3 of 29 , Nov 7, 2011
          The following discussion is verbose in places, but is on the whole encouraging:

          http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7202

          Joe

          On Nov 6, 2011, at 4:22 PM, TradleyS <tradley11@...> wrote:

          > If we can't use PowerPC software, we cannot use SheepShaver. And that's not good in my book.
          > What's lame about this is I have several applications I've used on Snow Leopard (one good example being Plants VS. Zombies) and they just suddenly stop working here on Lion. And it's not like I can just update it like that (I didn't get it from the App Store).
          > We definitely should find a way to overcome this.
          > Yeah, I understand that we are trying to move forward. But it's also good to experience the past too.
          > Is there anything anyone can do?
          >
          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Rick Albright <logres@...> wrote:
          >
          > > I'm sorry. I mean no disrespect, but I'm having difficulty understanding the relevance of this topic to WordPerfect. Does this mean that SheepShaver/WordPerfect will not run under Lion? If not, why are we debating this?

        • Chad Smith
          Message 4 of 29 , Nov 7, 2011
            Actually, SheepShaver is still usable under Lion, thankfully. Which I
            assume means it must be a Universal Binary, running under PPC and Intel
            chips.

            I was bummed about PvZ as well, since I bought it a long time ago, and not
            only had to buy it again, but now lost all my progress and have to start
            over.

            *- Chad W. Smith*

            Message 5 of 29 , Nov 7, 2011
              As you say, John's SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install setup and my WPMacApp Installer setup (both available here in the Links/SheepShaver and Basilisk folder) work perfectly well under Lion, and both are based on SheepShaver.

              Message 6 of 29 , Nov 7, 2011
                SheepShaver is a universal binary, which means it will run under Lion. See message #6948.

                Thus WordPerfect should run as well under Lion and current hardware as it did under system 6.02 and a Mac II.

                Just ten times faster.

                That said, I'd be happy to see reports from users of SS and Lion.

                > As you say, John's SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install setup and my WPMacApp Installer setup (both available here in the Links/SheepShaver and Basilisk folder) work perfectly well under Lion, and both are based on SheepShaver.
                >
                > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Chad Smith <chad78@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Actually, SheepShaver is still usable under Lion, thankfully. Which I
                > > assume means it must be a Universal Binary, running under PPC and Intel
                > > chips.

              • Chad Smith
                Message 7 of 29 , Nov 7, 2011
                  I use SS under Lion. Works fine, other than I can't get it to go full
                  screen. Which apparently is a known issue.

                  *- Chad W. Smith*

                  Message 8 of 29 , Nov 7, 2011
                    With my WPMacApp Appliance setup, you can hold down the Command key while launching the application, and it opens in a quasi-full screen mode (no visible dock, OS X menubar hidden until you move the mouse to the top of the screen, only a Sheepshaver title bar at the top). If you ever want to restore windowed mode, you can do that by holding down Option when launching the application.