WordPerfect for DOS on Mac OS X - revised system

    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 26 7:53 PM
      I've revised the system I've put together for running WordPerfect for DOS under Mac OS X. (Remember, this is WP for *DOS* - not Windows, not the Mac - the one with the blue screen and white text.) It runs on Intel Macs under Leopard, Snow Leopard, and Lion. (It may run on Tiger on Intel, but I haven't tested it.) The latest version works more reliably under Leopard.

      It prints to the default OS X printer and exchanges text with the OS X clipboard. You'll need to copy some WordPerfect program files from an existing WPDOS setup before it runs.

      Download link and instructions on this page;

      http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/wpdosmac-dosbox.html
    • Rick Albright
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 26 8:37 PM
        Okay, I'll bite. Forgive me for asking, but . . . why? I mean no offense, and it must have been an awesome hack, but do we want to run the DOS version if we have the Mac version? And by the way, I say this as a former DOS version user. I started with WP right after my former employer had migrated from 4.2 to 5.1 (if you really want to go back memory lane, they migrated to 4.2 from the IBM 5520.) So I do remember the DOS version with some nostalgic fondness (all those PF Key commands), but I don't know that I'd want to run it in preference to the Mac version, or any WYSIWYG version, for that matter. It was fast for its time, as I recall (much better than the first Windows version), but the Mac version runs pretty fast under OSX.

        OTOH, if it was doing it to see if it could be done, I certainly understand and respect that.

        Shades of Doogie Howser!

        Rick

        logres@...

        http://www.powells.com/biblio/72-9780980149647-0
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 26 9:09 PM
          Well, you don't have to use it if you don't want it. The latest version includes fixes requested by people who already use an earlier version of this same WPDOS-under-OS-X system. Some of them even send money.

          > Okay, I'll bite. Forgive me for asking, but . . . why? I mean no offense, and it must have been an awesome hack, but do we want to run the DOS version if we have the Mac version?
        • Chad Smith
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 26 11:18 PM
            Let me start by saying that I understand your question, for the vast
            majority of people on earth, there is no need for this software.

            One may ask why anyone would run decades old software on modern computers
            when perfectly good modern software exists....

            This lists exists, so apparently some choose to do so. Is wanting to run
            WPDOS on a Mac OS X Lion machine really any more weird than wanting to run
            WPMac 3.5 on that same system?

            Of course, that is just supposing the users are just hobbyists, or Luddites,
            or old school holdouts stuck in their ways. The fact is, the is the
            potential for this kind of old software to be *needed* not just wanted. A
            15 year old file may have vital information on it - for lawyers, or doctors,
            or journalists, or law enforcement....

            Just this week - a woman brought in a file for my office on a Floppy Disk.

            A Floppy Disk.

            Let that sink in.

            This is 2011. The file she brought in, she had just made on her home PC.
            And it was brought in on a Floppy Disk.

            She didn't understand the problem. She thought we were weird / ill-equipped
            because we couldn't use it.

            I looked it up, in 2007 - 4 years ago - only 2% of computers made that year
            had Floppy drives. Most motherboards made in the past 2~3 years don't even
            have a place to connect a floppy drive. And of course - that's desktop
            motherboards - forget about laptops.

            So if she's still using a computer with a Floppy Disk... imagine the other
            ancient computers still floating around out there being used by people who
            don't know they are outdated.

            Yes, there are converters, yes, there are file importers... but you can
            never be sure that those filters are 100% accurate. If you have the actual
            software the file was made on, you are much more likely to open the file as
            it was intended to be opened.

            I'm this close to ordering a USB floppy drive... just in case.

            *- Chad W. Smith*
          • John Kaufmann
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 27 5:20 AM
              In a message dated 2011.10.26 23:37 -0500, Rick Albright wrote:

              >> I've revised the system I've put together for running WordPerfect for DOS under Mac OS X. (Remember, this is WP for *DOS* - not Windows, not the Mac - the one with the blue screen and white text.) It runs on Intel Macs under Leopard, Snow Leopard, and Lion. (It may run on Tiger on Intel, but I haven't tested it.) ...

              > Okay, I'll bite. Forgive me for asking, but . . . why? I mean no offense, and it must have been an awesome hack, but do we want to run the DOS version if we have the Mac version? And by the way, I say this as a former DOS version user. ... I do remember the DOS version with some nostalgic fondness (all those PF Key commands), but I don't know that I'd want to run it in preference to the Mac version, or any WYSIWYG version, for that matter. It was fast for its time, as I recall (much better than the first Windows version), but the Mac version runs pretty fast under OSX. ...

              Funny that we have such different reactions. I've never had such
              visceral pleasure from any application program as from WP 5.1 - the
              speed, the power of simple methods extended so cleanly in all
              directions, complemented by the parallel elegance of the blank screen -
              raw power with no distractions - made it a tool of unparalleled
              productivity. And I've never known a program of comparable scope so
              completely bulletproof as the 1992 release. [FWIW, WP 6 (setting aside
              that it never had a Unix version) never inspired the same feelings,
              though it had its supporters.]

              You're right that modern computer power has virtually eliminated the
              speed penalty of GUI word processors, and I'm grateful for that, because
              developments since have pushed me into OO/LO for daily work. But I still
              get a little thrill when WP/DOS fires up (as, you know, it does
              instantly), so I'm as grateful to Ed (and other fanatics) who have kept
              it vital, as I am to John R for doing the same for WP/Mac.

              John
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 27 5:59 AM
                I have to say that WP51 for DOS was my favourite, too

                Geoff Gilbert
                Professor of Law
                Head of the School of Law
                School of Law and Human Rights Centre
                University of Essex
                Wivenhoe Park
                Colchester
                CO4 3SQ

                Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
                Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
                essex.ac.uk)

                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 27 6:38 AM
                  Now you can have both DOS and Mac running at the same time. I just now used the OS X clipboard to copy some text back and forth between WP51 for DOS and WPMac. (Same thing works with SheepShaver under Windows.)

> [...]
                  > >
                  > > Writing the Past, Writing the Future: Time and Narrative in Gothic and
                  > > Sensation Fiction
                  > > http://www.powells.com/biblio/72-9780980149647-0

                  > > .
                  > >
                  > > em315
                  > > 27 October 2011 03:53
                  > > I've revised the system I've put together for running WordPerfect for
                  > > DOS under Mac OS X. (Remember, this is WP for *DOS* - not Windows, not
                  > > the Mac - the one with the blue screen and white text.) It runs on
                  > > Intel Macs under Leopard, Snow Leopard, and Lion. (It may run on Tiger
                  > > on Intel, but I haven't tested it.) The latest version works more
                  > > reliably under Leopard.
                  > >
                  > > It prints to the default OS X printer and exchanges text with the OS X
                  > > clipboard. You'll need to copy some WordPerfect program files from an
                  > > existing WPDOS setup before it runs.
                  > >
                  > > Download link and instructions on this page;

                • John Kaufmann
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 27 6:47 AM
                    In a message dated 2011.10.27 09:38 -0500, em315 wrote:

                    >>> ... I still get a little thrill when WP/DOS fires up (as, you
                    >>> know, it does instantly), so I'm as grateful to Ed (and other
                    >>> fanatics) who have kept it vital, as I am to John R for doing the
                    >>> same for WP/Mac.
                    >
                    > Now you can have both DOS and Mac running at the same time. I just
                    > now used the OS X clipboard to copy some text back and forth between
                    > WP51 for DOS and WPMac. (Same thing works with SheepShaver under
                    > Windows.)

                    And isn't that a great, amazing development, a gift to those who
                    appreciate elegant software?

                    John K
                  • Paul Cowan
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 27 7:47 AM
                      On 27 Oct. 2011, at 2:18, Chad Smith wrote:

                      > I'm this close to ordering a USB floppy drive... just in case.

                      I have a networkable Performa that I bought�but have yet to use :-)�for just that purpose. A floppy server, sixty bucks.

                      cheers,

                      P. (^_^)
                    • Rick Albright
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 27 8:30 PM
                        I really didn't mean to offend or insult anyone, and I'm more than grateful to those who are so dedicated to put in the effort to make such tools available to all of us; I was just trying to understand. And I'm certainly a believer in running vintage hardware and software. I just didn't realize there was such an audience for WP 5.1 on this forum, given that WP Mac is so good. As I said, I remember 5.1 with a certain nostalgia, because I learned WordPerfect on that version. But the Mac version was always better for me.

                        So is 5.1 in the public domain or freely available? I guess it's the first I'm hearing that.

                        Rick

                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 27 9:20 PM
                          No - to run my system, you need to add your existing WP.EXE and WP.FIL files. You need to own WPDOS already.

                          > So is 5.1 in the public domain or freely available? I guess it's the first I'm hearing that.

                        • Richard
                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 28 6:00 AM
                            Just waxing nostalgic here, but I fondly remember WordPerfect 5.1 for DOS myself.

                            I remember buying it for school in 1991 and being totally lost when I fired it up on my CompuAdd 20 Mhz 386sx. So like any good student, I went to work studying the manual and going through all the exercises that were in the workbook that came with the software.

                            Since I was writing papers in biblical studies, I ordered the free Greek and Hebrew fonts that WordPerfect Corp. provided upon request. It was tedious by today's standards to manually enter one special character at a time, but it allowed me to turn in papers that were a notch above my fellow classmates at the time who were writing original language content in by hand after the paper was printed.

                            I don't think I ever spent so much time learning the ins and outs of any word processor that I've used since as I did with WP51. In fact, because I put so much time into it, I think that's why of all the software I've gotten rid of over the years, I've still held on to those WP51 disk and that ring binder manual. The only part I don't have is the workbook that I loaned out and never got back.