Re: [wpmac] PPC Apps in Lion?

    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 21, 2011
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Chad Smith <chad78@...> wrote:

      > I just want to clarify something that Edward said - so brand new Macs that ship
      > with Lion will not run other OSes? Even if I wipe the hard drive or put in
      > a new hard drive, I can't install any other OS? Is that limited to just
      > older versions of Mac OS X, or does that mean no Boot Camp, no Windows, no
      > Linux, etc.? If so, that severely lowers my chances of ever buying a new
      > Mac.

      Of course you can run Boot Camp in new machines, and anything else that is NOT OS X but which you can run in a separate partition. However, you absolutely cannot boot an EARLIER version of OS X than the one that the new machine was designed for. So the 2011 MacBook Air that I'm writing this on (I wish I owned it) will NOT boot Snow Leopard. But any Mac first released BEFORE July 2011 will boot Snow Leopard. That's the way Apple has built all its machines for the past ten years. There's an earliest OS version for each machine, and you can't go back beyond the earliest.
    • Chad Smith
      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 21, 2011
        I never knew that. I wonder what the thinking is. I mean I know most
        people wouldn't ever want to install an earlier version of OS X - but why
        make the effort to actively prevent it from happening?

        I mean it sounds like it's not just a matter of "oh, well the old software
        won't work because the hardware is new" - the impression I'm getting is that
        Apple is locking it out on purpose. Which confuses me.

        The only thing I can think of is if it is related to the liscencing of
        Rosetta, that they are making sure it won't work for contractual reasons.
        But from what you just said, it sounds like it is standard procedure for
        Apple - not something unique to Lion. Again, such a practice is weird to me.

        Chad W. Smith

        On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 12:55 PM, em315 <em315@...> wrote:

        > However, you absolutely cannot boot an EARLIER version of OS X than the one
        > that the new machine was designed for. So the 2011 MacBook Air that I'm
        > writing this on (I wish I owned it) will NOT boot Snow Leopard. But any Mac
        > first released BEFORE July 2011 will boot Snow Leopard. That's the way Apple
        > has built all its machines for the past ten years. There's an earliest OS
        > version for each machine, and you can't go back beyond the earliest.
      • Bob Stern
        Message 3 of 29 , Oct 21, 2011
          >Chad Smith wrote:
          >
          >it's even more disappointing that because of Apple's desire to
          >control everything, you can't emulate it on top of Lion, like you
          >can with say Linux or Windows, (VMWare Fusion / Parallels Desktop /
          >QEMU / Bochs / etc.).

          Apple's end user license agreements for Snow Leopard and Lion do not
          preclude installing Snow Leopard in a virtual environment, i.e., as a
          guest OS. They merely require that you purchase as many copies as
          you install.
          http://www.apple.com/legal/sla/

          The Lion end user license agreement has an additional clause
          permitting installation of *extra* copies of Lion in a virtual
          environment, but this clause does state or imply that it negates your
          basic right to install one copy of Snow Leopard in a virtual
          environment.

          A member of another list reported success running Virtual Box in Lion
          and installing Snow Leopard client as a guest (virtual) OS. He said
          Virtual Box displays a warning about Apple's license agreement, but
          it then allows you to proceed with the installation. However,
          Virtual Box apparently wants to avoid responsibility for interpreting
          and enforcing the OS X license agreements, so it officially refuses
          to support installation of any OS X client in as a guest OS.
          https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=31104
          --

          Bob Stern
          Message 4 of 29 , Oct 21, 2011

            > Apple's end user license agreements for Snow Leopard and Lion do not
            > preclude installing Snow Leopard in a virtual environment, i.e., as a
            > guest OS.

            This is unfortunately incorrect. See, for example:

            https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3187252?start=0&tstart=0

            or any of a dozen other discussions of this subject. I asked an Apple executive whether Apple would now remove the restriction on virtualizing the consumer version of Snow Leopard, and he said no. (Snow Leopard SERVER may still legally be virtualized on Apple hardware, but not ordinary Snow Leopard.)
          • Randy B. Singer
            Message 5 of 29 , Oct 21, 2011
              On Oct 21, 2011, at 11:01 AM, Chad Smith wrote:

              > I never knew that. I wonder what the thinking is. I mean I know most
              > people wouldn't ever want to install an earlier version of OS X -
              > but why
              > make the effort to actively prevent it from happening?

              It isn't a conspiracy. Apple doesn't "actively prevent" Macs from
              running older versions of the OS.

              New Mac models have new firmware. The OS that they come with
              supports that firmware, earlier versions of the Mac OS were written
              before that firmware existed, so they don't support it. It's that
              simple.

              It isn't entirely true that if you purchase a current brand-new Mac
              that, of course, comes with Lion, that you can't install Snow Leopard
              on it and have it work. If your new Mac was on the market prior to
              the introduction of Lion, it will run Snow Leopard just fine. Snow
              Leopard was written with that model's firmware in mind, and, in fact,
              that model was previously offered with Snow Leopard. Apple doesn't
              cripple their Macs so that they can no longer run versions of the OS
              that they were previously offered with.

              Randy B. Singer

              Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
              http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
              Message 6 of 29 , Oct 22, 2011

                > Apple's end user license agreements for Snow Leopard and Lion do not
                > preclude installing Snow Leopard in a virtual environment, i.e., as a
                > guest OS. They merely require that you purchase as many copies as
                > you install.
                > http://www.apple.com/legal/sla/

                The VMware and Parallels legal department came to a different conclusion, and my conversations with Apple executives suggest that they also agree that you can't legally virtualize Snow Leopard or any earlier version (although it's perfectly legal to virtualize any version of Lion and the SERVER versions of Leopard and Snow Leopard).

                See, for example,

                https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3195457?start=0&tstart=0

                VMware and Parallels include code that prevents you from installing Snow Leopard. I've tried it - they both popped up messages explicitly saying that they will not install the version of OS X that I tried to install. But they both will install Snow Leopard SERVER.

                Someone whose reliability I trust experimented with Snow Leopard in VirtualBox (the open-source counterpart of VMware and Parallels) under Lion. VirtualBox did, more or less, complete the installation of Snow Leopard, but the result was unusable. It mostly never booted, and when it did, it needed twenty minutes to reach the desktop, and then locked up afterward.
                Message 7 of 29 , Oct 22, 2011
                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Chad Smith <chad78@...> wrote:

                  > I just want to clarify something that Ed said - so brand new Macs that ship
                  > with Lion will not run other OSes? Even if I wipe the hard drive or put in
                  > a new hard drive, I can't install any other OS? Is that limited to just
                  > older versions of Mac OS X, or does that mean no Boot Camp, no Windows, no
                  > Linux, etc.? If so, that severely lowers my chances of ever buying a new
                  > Mac.

                  As of October 22, 2011, any MacBook Pro, iMac, or Mac Pro that you buy now can boot into Snow Leopard or Lion That will change as soon as new versions of those machines are released. They will boot only into Lion or later.

                  The MacBook Air and Mac Mini models on sale now will boot only into Lion.
                • J.J. McVeigh
                  Message 8 of 29 , Oct 22, 2011
                    Randy B. Singer wrote:

                    >It isn't a conspiracy. Apple doesn't "actively prevent" Macs from
                    >running older versions of the OS.
                    >
                    >New Mac models have new firmware. The OS that they come with
                    >supports that firmware, earlier versions of the Mac OS were written
                    >before that firmware existed, so they don't support it. It's that
                    >simple.

                    It is a matter not only of firmware, but of how the OS is constructed.

                    When Apple introduced OS X, it was possible to acquire OSX and to
                    install it on Macs that already had OS9 installed. It was then
                    possible to boot either into OS9 or into OS X, at the user's option.

                    The dual-boot Macs included many G3s and G4s. Apple did not support
                    OS X on 604e PowerPC machines that had third-party G3 processor
                    daughter cards installed.

                    For some time after that, Apple sold Macs that would not boot into
                    OS9, but could run OS-9-flavored Classic.

                    Eventually, Apple began selling Macs that could not/would not run
                    Classic, and an OS that did not support Classic (OS 10.5).

                    These were design decisions by Apple.
                    --

                    J.J. McVeigh
                  • Randy B. Singer
                    Message 9 of 29 , Oct 22, 2011

                      On Oct 22, 2011, at 3:05 PM, J.J. McVeigh wrote:

                      > These were design decisions by Apple.

                      Well, yes, Apple has decided at certain points to cut off backwards
                      compatibility for some technology. But only after, as you pointed
                      out, allowing for a transition period.

                      That's more or less what happened with Rosetta. With Rosetta Apple
                      allowed for quite an extended transition period.

                      That's different than the fact that Snow Leopard can't run on many
                      new Macs. In general, OS X these days is specific to the current
                      firmware that Apple sells.
                      http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2681

                      Neither situation is a conspiracy.

                      Message 10 of 29 , Oct 23, 2011
                        I get the decision to stop supporting OS 9.

                        I even understand licensing issues with Rosetta.

                        But since Apple designs the hardware and the software ... including the
                        firmware... they could easily make it possible - if they wanted to - to
                        install whatever flavor of OS X you wanted. As has been pointed out, you
                        can still install Windows or Linux. It *HAS TO* be a purposeful action by
                        Apple to limit user choice. There's no way around it. Windows XP is over
                        10 years old, and it runs on any Intel Mac. Any "Firmware issue" i created
                        by Apple - on purpose.

                        And that decision is one I am 100% against. It doesn't even make sense to me
                        if I look at Apple as nothing but a greedy corporation. If I have bought a
                        brand new Mac, I have, included in that price, paid the license fee for
                        Lion. Whether or not I use that OS is up to me. They got their money. And
                        it is very likely I paid for the license for the older OS X as well. But by
                        limiting the choice, they prevent even the possibility of anyone buying a
                        license of Snow Leopard from Apple to run on my late 2011 Mac. It's just
                        stupid no matter how I look at it.

                        *- Chad W. Smith*
                        *"I like a man who's middle name is W."*
                        President George W. Bush - February 10, 2003 bit.ly/gwb-dubya

                        On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 1:36 AM, Randy B. Singer <randy@...>wrote:

                        > **
                        >

                        > > Randy B. Singer wrote:
                        > >
                        > > >It isn't a conspiracy. Apple doesn't "actively prevent" Macs from
                        > > >running older versions of the OS.
                        >
                        > On Oct 22, 2011, at 3:05 PM, J.J. McVeigh wrote:
                        > >
                        > > These were design decisions by Apple.
                        >
                        > Well, yes, Apple has decided at certain points to cut off backwards
                        > compatibility for some technology. But only after, as you pointed
                        > out, allowing for a transition period.
                        >
                        > That's more or less what happened with Rosetta. With Rosetta Apple
                        > allowed for quite an extended transition period.
                        >
                        > That's different than the fact that Snow Leopard can't run on many
                        > new Macs. In general, OS X these days is specific to the current
                        > firmware that Apple sells.
                        > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2681
                        >
                        > Neither situation is a conspiracy.

                        > Randy B. Singer
                        > Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
                        >
                        > Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
                        > http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
                      • Patrick Sheffield
                        Message 11 of 29 , Oct 24, 2011
                          The problem is that the newer hardware - say the gfx card - will not have existing drivers in the older OS. Sometimes this can be worked around by installing the proper drivers into the older OS, but sometimes it's CPU support that is built into the kernel.

                          Patrick Sheffield
                          Sheffield Softworks

                          Message 12 of 29 , Oct 24, 2011
                            Randy B. Singer wrote:

                            > > Randy B. Singer wrote:
                            >>
                            >> >It isn't a conspiracy. Apple doesn't "actively prevent" Macs from
                            >> >running older versions of the OS.
                            >
                            >On Oct 22, 2011, at 3:05 PM, J.J. McVeigh wrote:
                            >>
                            >> These were design decisions by Apple.
                            >
                            >Well, yes, Apple has decided at certain points to cut off backwards
                            >compatibility for some technology. But only after, as you pointed
                            >out, allowing for a transition period.
                            >
                            >That's more or less what happened with Rosetta. With Rosetta Apple
                            >allowed for quite an extended transition period.
                            >
                            >That's different than the fact that Snow Leopard can't run on many
                            >new Macs. In general, OS X these days is specific to the current
                            >firmware that Apple sells.
                            >http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2681
                            >
                            >Neither situation is a conspiracy.

                            With respect, I do not believe that anyone has used the word
                            "conspiracy," other than you yourself. I used the phrase "design
                            decisions." Chad Smith asked, "... why make the effort to actively
                            prevent it from happening?"

                            The decision, after a certain point, not to include in the firmware
                            an instruction set providing the ability to boot into OS 9 was a
                            design decision by Apple.

                            The decision not to include code in the release of OS 10.6 that would
                            allow Power PC machines to run that OS was a design decision by Apple.

                            The decision not to include code in the release of OS 10.7 that would
                            allow Intel machines to run programs originally written to run on
                            Power PC Macs was yet another design decision by Apple.

                            Please note that I am not necessarily disagreeing with each of
                            Apple's design decisions. Apple had its reasons, in each instance.
                            In each instance, Apple could have taken another tack. Apple chose
                            not to do so, and had its reasons for choosing not to do so.

                            --

                            J.J. McVeigh
                            Message 13 of 29 , Oct 24, 2011
                              Perhaps you might want to take this up in one of the Apple forums, where someone at Apple might read it? There's not much anyone here can do about it, no matter how much anyone might agree with it.

                              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Chad Smith <chad78@...> wrote:

                              > I get the decision to stop supporting OS 9.
                              >
                              > I even understand licensing issues with Rosetta.
                              >
                              > But since Apple designs the hardware and the software ... including the
                              > firmware... they could easily make it possible - if they wanted to - to
                              > install whatever flavor of OS X you wanted. As has been pointed out, you
                              > can still install Windows or Linux. It *HAS TO* be a purposeful action by
                              > Apple to limit user choice. There's no way around it. Windows XP is over
                              > 10 years old, and it runs on any Intel Mac. Any "Firmware issue" i created
                              > by Apple - on purpose.

                            • Chad Smith
                              Message 14 of 29 , Oct 24, 2011
                                Again, Apple controls the hardware and the software. So they had to write /
                                have written the drivers for the new hardware on the new OS. It would stand
                                to reason that if they so chose, they could port those same drivers to the
                                older OS.

                                We're not talking about incapable OSes - in fact I haven't heard of any
                                "Lion Only" applications. The only incompatibility is Lion can't run
                                everything Snow Leopard can run - not the other way around (I'm talking
                                about the PPC apps).

                                It is 100% Apple choice. And one I completely fail to see the logic in, and
                                do not appreciate.

                                However, since Snow Leopard Server will run on VMWare / et. al. - There is a
                                work around. So I will live it.

                                My statement about "seriously questioning ever buying a new Mac" was if no
                                other OS would run on it. Since Linux / Windows / etc. are still
                                compatible, I'm ok. When I bought my first new Mac, (Original White MacBook
                                mid-2006) - I justified the cost by telling myself "It can run Mac, Window,
                                and Linux - all at the same time... So it's like getting 3 computers - but
                                only better, because they are all in the same portable, stylish box!" I
                                rarely use Windows, and only really "play with" Linux - but they are still
                                installed on my MacBook Pro - just in case.

                                The suggestion to put this on an Apple Forum is a good one. I'll put my
                                thoughts together and do so.

                                Thanks to everyone for their insight and information.

                                *- Chad W. Smith*
                                *"I like a man who's middle name is W."*
                                President George W. Bush - February 10, 2003 bit.ly/gwb-dubya

                                On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 11:22 AM, Patrick Sheffield <
                                psheffield@...> wrote:

                                > **
                                >

                                > The problem is that the newer hardware - say the gfx card - will not have
                                > existing drivers in the older OS. Sometimes this can be worked around by
                                > installing the proper drivers into the older OS, but sometimes it's CPU
                                > support that is built into the kernel.
                                >
                                > Patrick Sheffield
                                > Sheffield Softworks

                              • Rick Albright
                                Message 15 of 29 , Oct 24, 2011
                                  I'm sorry. I mean no disrespect, but I'm having difficulty understanding the relevance of this topic to WordPerfect. Does this mean that SheepShaver/WordPerfect will not run under Lion? If not, why are we debating this?

                                  Rick Albright
                                  logres@...

                                  http://www.powells.com/biblio/72-9780980149647-0
                                • TradleyS
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Nov 6, 2011
                                    If we can't use PowerPC software, we cannot use SheepShaver. And that's not good in my book.
                                    What's lame about this is I have several applications I've used on Snow Leopard (one good example being Plants VS. Zombies) and they just suddenly stop working here on Lion. And it's not like I can just update it like that (I didn't get it from the App Store).
                                    We definitely should find a way to overcome this.
                                    Yeah, I understand that we are trying to move forward. But it's also good to experience the past too.
                                    Is there anything anyone can do?

                                    > I'm sorry. I mean no disrespect, but I'm having difficulty understanding the relevance of this topic to WordPerfect. Does this mean that SheepShaver/WordPerfect will not run under Lion? If not, why are we debating this?
                                  • Joseph Bush
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Nov 7, 2011
                                      The following discussion is verbose in places, but is on the whole encouraging:

                                      http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7202

                                      Joe

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Nov 7, 2011
                                        Actually, SheepShaver is still usable under Lion, thankfully. Which I
                                        assume means it must be a Universal Binary, running under PPC and Intel
                                        chips.

                                        I was bummed about PvZ as well, since I bought it a long time ago, and not
                                        only had to buy it again, but now lost all my progress and have to start
                                        over.

                                        *- Chad W. Smith*

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Nov 7, 2011
                                          As you say, John's SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install setup and my WPMacApp Installer setup (both available here in the Links/SheepShaver and Basilisk folder) work perfectly well under Lion, and both are based on SheepShaver.

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Nov 7, 2011
                                            SheepShaver is a universal binary, which means it will run under Lion. See message #6948.

                                            Thus WordPerfect should run as well under Lion and current hardware as it did under system 6.02 and a Mac II.

                                            Just ten times faster.

                                            That said, I'd be happy to see reports from users of SS and Lion.

                                            > As you say, John's SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install setup and my WPMacApp Installer setup (both available here in the Links/SheepShaver and Basilisk folder) work perfectly well under Lion, and both are based on SheepShaver.
                                            >
                                            > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Chad Smith <chad78@> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > Actually, SheepShaver is still usable under Lion, thankfully. Which I
                                            > > assume means it must be a Universal Binary, running under PPC and Intel
                                            > > chips.

                                          • Chad Smith
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Nov 7, 2011
                                              I use SS under Lion. Works fine, other than I can't get it to go full
                                              screen. Which apparently is a known issue.

                                              *- Chad W. Smith*

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Nov 7, 2011
                                                With my WPMacApp Appliance setup, you can hold down the Command key while launching the application, and it opens in a quasi-full screen mode (no visible dock, OS X menubar hidden until you move the mouse to the top of the screen, only a Sheepshaver title bar at the top). If you ever want to restore windowed mode, you can do that by holding down Option when launching the application.