WP Mac App ?

  • R.C
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 19, 2011
      I downloaded and installed the WPMacApp last week on a iMac 1.25 Power PC running OS 10.5. My machine is partitioned w/ OS 10.5 and 10.4.11 running Classic. If I can get Wordperfect running under 10.5 I can stick w/ 10.5

      With WPApp installed and working I need assistance with a few things:

      1) I can mount our fileserver running AppleShare 4.3 containing 70k Wordperfect 3.5 docs --what is the most seamless way to get WPApp to open the docs that reside on the fileserver? The only way I can open a doc thus far is to drag the doc from the server to the users/admin/documents folder. Is there a way to open directly from the server so docs can be opened / saved w/o the dragging & dropping??

      2) docs opened w/ WPApp change to a WP 4 document -- can this prevented? i would like docs to open and remain as 3.5 docs since all other users in the office run OS 10.4 and Classic and are still using WP 3.5. Even if i need to drag and drop (see item 1), i still need the docs to open for 3.5 users.

      3) how do i get docs i've opened w/ WPMacAp that are now WP 4 docs to open automatically in 3.5 running under Classic? The only way to get them to open since installing WPMacApp is to drag them to WP icon in dock.

      4) When booted back in 10.4.11, since installing the WPApp, when I attempt to open a WP 3.5 doc it brings up the message "you are opening the app "WPMacApp" for the first time. Are you sure you want to open this application?" Is there a way to prevent this or is it not possible to have the WPApp on the 10.5 partition w/o effecting WP 3.5 when booted in 10.4?

      Thanks for any and all assistance.
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 19, 2011
        Quick answers:

        I don't know. You might ask on the SheepShaver forum at www.emaculation.com. Ask for methods of accessing an AppleShare server in SheepShaver. If there's an answer, they'll have it.

        > 2) docs opened w/ WPApp change to a WP 4 document -- can this prevented? i would like docs to open and remain as 3.5 docs since all other users in the office run OS 10.4 and Classic and are still using WP 3.5. Even if i need to drag and drop (see item 1), i still need the docs to open for 3.5 users.

        In WordPerfect itself: Edit -> Preferences -> Files. Select WP 3.x as the file format.

        > 3) how do i get docs i've opened w/ WPMacAp that are now WP 4 docs to open automatically in 3.5 running under Classic? The only way to get them to open since installing WPMacApp is to drag them to WP icon in dock.

        Select one of the documents. Press Cmd-I. Under Open with: select the "classic"-based copy of WPMac. (You may need to use "Other..." to find it). Click on the "Change all..." button and confirm the change.

        > 4) When booted back in 10.4.11, since installing the WPApp, when I attempt to open a WP 3.5 doc it brings up the message "you are opening the app "WPMacApp" for the first time. Are you sure you want to open this application?" Is there a way to prevent this or is it not possible to have the WPApp on the 10.5 partition w/o effecting WP 3.5 when booted in 10.4?

        That's OS X's security provisions giving you that message. You might try reversing things by putting the WPMacApp on the 10.4 partition, and see whether 10.5 gives you the same message every time. Please report back what you find.
      • Rich Casey
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 19, 2011
          > > 3) how do i get docs i've opened w/ WPMacAp that are now WP 4
          > docs to open automatically in 3.5 running under Classic? The only
          > way to get them to open since installing WPMacApp is to drag them
          > to WP icon in dock.
          >
          > Select one of the documents. Press Cmd-I. Under Open with: select
          > the "classic"-based copy of WPMac. (You may need to use "Other..."
          > to find it). Click on the "Change all..." button and confirm the
          > change.

          thank you for your quick reply.

          I had already done this to no avail. In 10.4 running classic, i
          select the document and hit command-I. At this point, open w/ is set
          to WPMacApp. I click on the drop-down and select Corel Wordperfect,
          then hit "change all" and get messsage that it will "change all WP
          documents to open w/ the application Corel Wordperfect and that the
          change will apply to all Corel WP docs w/ type WPD4". It is not
          working. If i then click on the same document, it give me the
          message about trying to run WPApp for first time. Additionally, in
          the Get Info window (command-I) the preview shows a WP4 icon even
          after I ask it to open the docs in WP??
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 19, 2011
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Rich Casey <rcasey@...> wrote:

            > > > 3) how do i get docs i've opened w/ WPMacAp that are now WP 4
            > > docs to open automatically in 3.5 running under Classic? The only
            > > way to get them to open since installing WPMacApp is to drag them
            > > to WP icon in dock.
            > >
            > > Select one of the documents. Press Cmd-I. Under Open with: select
            > > the "classic"-based copy of WPMac. (You may need to use "Other..."
            > > to find it). Click on the "Change all..." button and confirm the
            > > change.
            > >
            > thank you for your quick reply.
            >
            > I had already done this to no avail. In 10.4 running classic, i
            > select the document and hit command-I. At this point, open w/ is set
            > to WPMacApp. I click on the drop-down and select Corel Wordperfect,
            > then hit "change all" and get messsage that it will "change all WP
            > documents to open w/ the application Corel Wordperfect and that the
            > change will apply to all Corel WP docs w/ type WPD4". It is not
            > working. If i then click on the same document, it give me the
            > message about trying to run WPApp for first time. Additionally, in
            > the Get Info window (command-I) the preview shows a WP4 icon even
            > after I ask it to open the docs in WP??

            I don't have Classic running on any machine right now, so I hope someone else can help with an answer. If a document has been changed so that its type is WPD4, then I think it can only be opened by 3.5e (Enhanced). If you want it to open in plain old 3.5 (NOT Enhanced), then save it in 3.x format, specify it to open in Corel WordPerfect and see if that helps. Please let us know.

            Another possibility is simply to delete 3.5e (enhanced) from the WPMacApp and use the included copy of 3.5.4 instead, if that's what you've got in Classic. 3.5.4 may work just as well in the WPMacApp, but the first time you run the various macros, they may ask you to tell them where to find WordPerfect. This may make it easier to use the WPMacApp and 3.5.4 on the same machine.