latest WPapp post By John R Error message Numeric Opertaion too large.

  • Phillip
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 8, 2011
      Just received messge from John R and installed the latest version of Sheepshaver/WP

      Can Open but keeps coming up with Numeric operation too large. May have to remove.

      X.6.8 on MacBook Pro. 8 GB RAM 500 GB SATA Hard drive.
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 8, 2011
        Which message was this? My most recent SS/WP package dates from 31 July.

        IAC I don't know what to recommend for this symptom. Maybe just a restart might help.

        John R.

        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Phillip" <pjones1@...> wrote:

        > Just received messge from John R and installed the latest version of Sheepshaver/WP
        >
        > Can Open but keeps coming up with Numeric operation too large. May have to remove.
        >
        > X.6.8 on MacBook Pro. 8 GB RAM 500 GB SATA Hard drive.

      • Phillip M. Jones,C.E.T.
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 8, 2011
          Numeric Operations too large

          Also a lot of beeping when Trying to close.
          I quit several times and retried.

          this message kept coming up as fast as you could dismiss them

          I just received the message about the install package this morning.

          --
          Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
          http://www.phillipmjones.net mailto:pjones1@...
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 8, 2011
            Are you referring to John's program called SheepShaver-WP or my version named "WPMacAPP"? They're completely different things. Please tell us the exact name of the application that you double-click on that produces these results. Do you double-click on something named "SheepShaver" or do you double-click on something named "WPMacApp" or something else entirely?

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 9, 2011
              The one that claims to be an appliance. IT loads SheepShaver and
              WordPerfect its all in one. The window is workable but awfully small.

              It goes into error message "The result of numeric operation is too large
              then it beeps then you have to force quit.

              Obviously don't work with OSX.6.8.

              em315 wrote:

              > Are you referring to John's program called SheepShaver-WP or my version
              > named "WPMacAPP"? They're completely different things. Please tell us
              > the exact name of the application that you double-click on that produces
              > these results. Do you double-click on something named "SheepShaver" or
              > do you double-click on something named "WPMacApp" or something else
              > entirely?
            • Phillip M. Jones,C.E.T.
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 9, 2011
                WPmacPPC.app is the name.
                the DMG file is WPMacPPC Installer. dmg

                was the link I clicked on in John R message.

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 9, 2011
                  That message was not sent by John, but seems to be a very old message by me.

                  What you are looking for is John's SheepShaver/WP setup. You can find it at the following link:

                  http://macwp.com/files/SheepShaver-WordPerfect 1.3.1.dmg

                  That's the latest version of John's system, and that's what you're looking for.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 10, 2011
                    I've looked into this, and you seem to be referring to message 6916, which I sent in June of this year. That seems to be the most recent message that refers to the WPMacPPC Installer.

                    It's odd that you got that "numeric operation too large" error message. The program is fully compatible with OS X 10.6.8, and the Applescript error that you report should occur only when someone tries to run an Applescript, not by running the script itself, but by opening the script in the Script Editor and clicking Run (and only under System 7.x under SheepShaver - there's a bug in SheepShaver that causes this to happen under System 7 only.) Obviously something's wrong in your setup if you got that error without actually running the Script Editor, so I would urge you simply to delete the WPMacPPC.app and its installer, and not try to use it again.

                    John's system, which I pointed to in the last message, is a lot more mature and heavily-tested in the real world, and you'll be much better off by using it instead of the one that didn't work for you.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 16, 2011

                      > . . . John's system, which I pointed to in the last message,
                      > is a lot more mature . . .

                      I'm not sure about this, and less sure all the time, as Ed's WPMacApp continues to receive intensive and high-quality development, and now has several advantages.

                      One is undoubtedly the faster printing, set up using Prefab Player, so I'm busy dissecting things to learn how I can steal it for my Sheepshaver/WP setup.

                      It's nice that Prefab Player, whose author Ed convinced to make available free (!), works so well with WP. Not that WP's macro language, with 900 commands and objects, doesn't do a lot, and the same goes for WP's full object model in Applescript. But direct access to menus in Applescript is still a real advantage.

                      For example, the recent thread on fonts suggested the value of a font sampler program, but getting names of installed fonts, in a form WP could use, proved daunting. Prefab Player to the rescue, and I'm working on a nice font sampler now.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 17, 2011

                        > > . . . John's system, which I pointed to in the last message,
                        > > is a lot more mature . . .
                        >

                        > I'm not sure about this, and less sure all the time, as Ed's WPMacApp continues to receive intensive and high-quality development, and now has several advantages.

                        Yes, but I write Applescript by throwing bits of code into the Applescript editor until they stick, while John actually knows how to write fast, efficient code that gets the job done quickly and without errors.