[ANN:] An updated system that runs WPMac under SheepShaver

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 6, 2011
      I've substantially revised the system I put together that uses SheepShaver to
      run WPMac in a window on the OS X desktop. It now prints directly to any printer
      attached to your OS X system, and can create PDF files without requiring you to
      respond to prompts. It's still not as advanced as John's SheepShaver-WP system,
      but may it be useful in some circumstances. This version of the application is
      called "WPMacApp." It was inspired by John's SheepShaver-WP system and adapts
      Applescript code by Smokey Ardisson and many others.

      When you first start the application, it will prompt you to setup a printer or
      PDF creator for use with WPMac. You can do this now or wait until a later time
      to do the setup. If you want to set up a printer at any later time, hold down
      Option and Command when starting up the application, and the "setup printer"
      menu will appear again. Printer setup in SheepShaver is completely automatic -
      all you have to do is refrain from touching any keys or using the mouse while
      print setup proceeds. The automated setup uses "GUI Scripting" provided by the
      Prefab Player software described in a recent message on this forum.

      You can also hold down Command when starting the application, and its window
      will fill the OS X screen. If you press Option when starting it, it will return
      to its default screen size. You can always change the screen size by opening the
      SheepShaver menu and choosing Preferences.

      Except when choosing a printer to use with WPMac, this system requires no setup.
      Just download it and run it. As in earlier versions, thanks to a method
      developed by John Rethorst and Smokey Ardisson, you can double-click on a WP
      file in OS X and it will open in WPMac in SheepShaver.

      This system runs under 10.5 Leopard or 10.6 Snow Leopard or 10.7 Lion, on Intel
      or Power PC machines. On a PowerPC machine running 10.5 (the last version that
      can run on a Power PC system), the printing method that prints directly to an OS
      X printer seems unreliable (at least on the very slow machine I used for
      testing), so you'll need to use the method pioneered by John's SheepShaver-WP
      setup, where you "print" to a file, and a folder action script in OS X pops up a
      menu that offers to print the file or create a PDF. To set up this method, open
      the Virtual Printers folder and run the "SETUP Print or Make PDF System"
      AppleScript.

      Download link is here:

      http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WPMacApp%20Installer.dmg

      Warning: 535MB download.
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 28, 2011
        A few days after I posted this on October 6th, I updated the system with a version that doesn't correctly install a printer in SheepShaver. I only discovered this today. It's fixed now. Apologies for inconveniencing anyone who downloaded it in the past two weeks or so.

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 29, 2011
          And I also found that some versions of the system had a corrupt preference file that caused WP files to open in WPMac 2.1.3, instead of 3.5e. The easy way to fix that is to trash the copy of WPMac 2.1.3 on the system, which you probably don't need anyway. Alternately, download the fixed (I hope really fixed this time) current version.