GUI Scripting now available for Mac OS

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 28, 2011
      Users of SheepShaver and Basilisk who write Applescript may be interested to know that a $139 program that adds "GUI Scripting" to Applescript in the old Mac OS is now available at no cost at all.

      (GUI Scripting is a feature in OS X Applescript that lets you write scripts that click buttons, move windows, and do other things that can't otherwise be done with Applescript.)

      Full details are at this thread at Emaculation.com:

      http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=40405#40405

      The owner of the software, Scott Lawson, very generously made it free to everyone. I've been using it in SheepShaver with Mac OS 9.0.4, but haven't tested it with other Mac OS versions.
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 28, 2011
        _Very nice_, Ed. Thank you.

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 28, 2011
          I asked Scott if he would be willing to make it freeware because I wanted to script the following procedure:

          1. While launching SheepShaver, run an Applescript that lets you select an OS X printer to use from SheepShaver via an LPR desktop printer.

          2. Then, when SheepShaver launches, use Applescript to create a desktop printer that connects to the OS X printer through LPR and the correct printer queue.

          I've never been able to get pure AppleScript to create an LPR printer correctly in OS 8/9 (apparently you need to trap all kinds of errors to make it work), but the PreFab Player finishes the job nicely, and I've now got it working, after wasting a pleasant evening on it.

          You can use this technique to avoid the Folder Action Script method of printing; it's a lot faster and more straightforward. Also, by installing CUPS-PDF in OS X, it becomes possible to print PDF files directly from WPMac without a Folder Action Script (though the files go into an obscure location - still working on how to automatically create a shortcut to that location).

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 28, 2011
            Apologies for a misspelling - that's Scott Lawton. Getting his name wrong is is a bad way to show gratitude for his generosity - and I'm *very* grateful for it.