OLD WP files -unable to open/convert due to password protection- HELP!

  • mr.longpants
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 1, 2011
      currently using Snow Leopard (10.6.8) on a Macbook Pro -

      i have some OLD WP 2.1.3 (from 1999) files, which, on this Intel processor, are unreadable "exec" files. After HOURS of internet searching, I finally found I was able to open many of them using Libre and "WP convertor" ----all except the most important ones, which are "password protected" .

      does anyone have a way that i can crack the password on the "exec" files so that i can retrieve the information within?
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 2, 2011
        Do you actually know the password that was used to protect the files? If so, download this converter:

        http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WP%20Converter.zip

        Remove it from the ZIP file, and drop a file on it. You will be prompted to enter the password. (Enter the password within a few seconds, or the whole thing may lock up.)

        If you don't know the password, you will need to search for password cracking programs for WPMac files.

        By the way, I think you are referring to "LibreOffice" (not "Libre"), but maybe you're referring to "WPLO Converter", so I'm not clear if you're trying to use "WP Converter" or "WPLO Converter". Could you please clarify which one you mean? The link in the second paragraph of THIS message helps you download "WP Converter." But please clarify the EXACT names of the programs you have been using.

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 2, 2011
          i have tried:

          WP converter
          WPDto ODT converter
          WPLO converter
          LibreOffice (which has opened some of the "exec" files but not the ones i really need to open
          NeoOffice
          OpenOffice (which has opened some of the "exec" files, but not the ones i really need to open

          I think that most of the files were "stuffed" with whatever (i don't remember) application or they were password protected - the "get info" does not denote they are "locked":

          this is how "get info" identifies them:

          Corel WordPerfect document
          Version: 2.1.3, © 1989, 1992 WordPerfect Corporation
          Created with WordPerfect™ 2.1.3

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 2, 2011
            REPOST WITH CORRECT LINK:

            Well, if Get Info recognizes them as WP files, and if the WP Converter won't open them, then download the system described here and try to open the files in WordPerfect. If they won't open there, then nothing will open them:

            http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/mac-intel.html

            If you look inside the disk folder, you'll find a copy of WPMac 2.1. Again, if you can't open the files in WPMac 2.1 (which created them) then nothing will open them. They're not "stuffed," by the way, or Get Info wouldn't recognize them as WP 2.1 files.

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 2, 2011
              Also try the new version of the WPDtoODTConverter, just posted, as described in this message:

              It converts password-protected WPMac 2.1 files if - and only if - you know the correct password.

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 2, 2011
                No such animal that I know of.

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 2, 2011
                  miracle of miracles - i remembered the password for the files - now - how do i remove the password from the documents once they are open in Sheep Saver?
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 2, 2011
                    You're right: but there's a brute-force method, described in this very forum:

                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 2, 2011
                      Also, I've now posted a version of the WPLO Converter that converts password-protected WPMac and WPDOS (through version 5.1) files, if - and only if - you already know the password.

                      Download link:

                      http://dl.dropbox.com/u/271144/WPLOConverter.zip

                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 3, 2011
                        "Save As..." Don't check "Password protect" or whatever it's called.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 3, 2011
                          i'm all set - thank you SO MUCH for your help. what a wonderful piece of software!

                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 3, 2011
                            Thanks for pointing that out. I remember it now, but had forgotten all about it.