Re: [wpmac] The art and science of typography

  • mxytsplyk
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 14, 2011
      Academy Engraved LET
      Book Antiqua
      Copperplate
      Techno
      Zapfino 1

      I also recommend the Type Primer from Adobe, in the Files Section here.

      Joe

      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 6, 2011
        Steve Jobs paid attention to fonts too:

        http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/10/06/steve-jobs-designer-first-c-e-o-second/?hp

        I think its ability with typefaces (and the laser printer to support it) was one of the reasons for the Mac's early success.

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 17, 2011
          This creates samples of fonts installed on your computer, with your choice of text, fonts, sizes, and attributes, e.g. italics and bold. More flexible than similar programs I've seen, and makes careful comparison of typefaces easy.

          Requires Prefab Player, which is not a bad idea to download and install anyway.

          Free in the Files section here, as "Font Sampler".

          John R.
        • John Kaufmann
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 17, 2011
            John,

            In a message dated 2011.10.18 00:14 -0500, John R wrote:

            > This creates samples of fonts installed on your computer, with your choice of text, fonts, sizes, and attributes, e.g. italics and bold. More flexible than similar programs I've seen, and makes careful comparison of typefaces easy.

            Unfortunately I can't sample your Sampler (since a daughter took the Mac
            to school), but I'm intrigued: In WP 4 or 5 (early 90s) on AOS, DOS and
            Unix, WP used to do font classifications and comparisons for matching
            purposes using font metrics defined in WPDL (WordPerfect Printer
            Definition Language). Unfortunately that all went away with WP/Windows,
            with Windows managing the fonts (less well, IMHO), and I never really
            learned how WP/Mac fonts were managed. Do your font comparisons use the
            WPDL definitions? - if not, how?

            John K.
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 18, 2011
              John's ingenious macro-and-Applescript combination reads the list of available fonts from WordPerfect's Font... menu and lets you choose the names of the fonts for which you want samples. WordPerfect itself then produces a document with sample text for each font.

              This has no connection at all with the "font-matching" abilities of WP for DOS/Unix/etc.

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 18, 2011
                This is really excellent - and an example of the intelligent programming I mentioned in an earlier message.

                One warning to first-time users: the first time the Applescript runs, you may think SheepShaver has locked up - but it hasn't. AppleScript is merely being very slow, and will eventually prompt you to tell it where to find WordPerfect. The next time it runs, it goes very quickly. It's only slow the first time.