The art and science of typography

    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 13, 2011
      Our own Ed Mendelson has published "The Human Face of Type" in the New York Review of Books:

      http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2011/aug/04/human-face-of-type/

      exploring the expressive value of different fonts, or typefaces. A significant consideration in word processing is its result, the appearance of text on the page or screen, and the choice of what font to use is a good part of that.

      I discuss this in "Teach Yourself WordPerfect", chapter 15 (text available here in message 204), and Adobe's Type Primer.pdf is in the Files section.

      So -- members, what's your favorite font? Why do you like it? Are there fonts you avoid at all cost? Does Helvetica deserve its widespread disparagement? I actually like it, being a minimalist of sorts. For other opinions, see the NY Museum of Modern Art's exhibition "50 Years of Helvetica" at

      http://www.moma.org/visit/calendar/exhibitions/38

      and the BBC's thoughts at

      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6638423.stm

      What other elements of page design do you like? Ragged or justified at the right margin? Optimum column width? These choices make your text more or less inviting to read.

      Ed, nice article.

      John R.
    • Jim Voelzow
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 14, 2011
        Adobe Garamond. Formal, well crafted, pleasing to the eye and easy to read.

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 14, 2011
          In WP on SS or in OS X generally?

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 14, 2011
            Either or both?

            BTW I haven't explored it, but have heard there's a way to use OSX fonts in SS. It might be that Adobe Type Manager (which comes with my SS-WP install) does this, at least for some types of font files. Looking in the Fonts folders of the System and Library folders of my antiquated OSX 10.4.11, most fonts have the .otf or .ttf extensions; some have no extensions, and some have a .dfont extension. dfonts might not work in SheepShaver.

            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 14, 2011
              It is. I think my favorite serif font is New Baskerville, although Bell, Caslon and Plantin are nice too. I'm still on a quest for that perfect sans-serif. Stone Sans was nice for a while . . .

              John R.

              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Jim Voelzow <jvoelzow@...> wrote:

              > Adobe Garamond. Formal, well crafted, pleasing to the eye and easy to read.
              >

              > > So -- members, what's your favorite font?
            • Rick Albright
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 14, 2011
                I've been on a quest for the perfect font for about as long as I've been using fonts. It never ends. For awhile I used Helvetica a lot, and while I think it's still excellent for titles and headings, (and I think the film about it is intriguing), it's not all that readable for long streams of text. I did my dissertation in it, and I see now that it doesn't look all that good on the printed page. I think the serifs are needed.

                A nice alternative for text that I used when I converted the diss to a book manuscript (also in WordPerfect) is Hoefler Text Regular, and one of its advantages, besides its overall good look, is the fact that italics show up very nicely--much more distinctively than italics in Helvetica. I think Hoefler was one of the additional font families that came with WordPerfect. Garamond is also a nice font, as are Bookman and Baskerville.

                I'm quirky about fonts. I tend to like to use a font that is readable, but distinctive. By "distinctive" I mean that I really avoid anything that looks even remotely like Times New Roman because of my (completely irrational, I know) aversion to Microsoft and the way that MS made it the default font for Windows and Word (though the newer versions use a different font). So that rules out for me some good old fonts such as Palatino.

                An added wrinkle for me is that I've been trying to use a font that is fairly universal, across platforms. I teach (college English) online as well as in the classroom, and a lot of fonts that I might use will be lost due to font substitutions, and the document you've worked hard to design comes out looking completely different on another computer. So I usually try to use one of the so-called "internet fonts" that--if I understand how these things work (I'm happy to be enlightened by someone on the list)--are more universal. For awhile I've been using Trebuchet MS, which doesn't look bad, is fairly readable, and is an internet font. It's not a favorite, but it looks a little different and isn't too zany.

                This is an interesting thread!
                Rick

                On Aug 14, 2011, at 5:13 PM, John R wrote:

                > It is. I think my favorite serif font is New Baskerville, although Bell, Caslon and Plantin are nice too. I'm still on a quest for that perfect sans-serif. Stone Sans was nice for a while . . .

                Rick Albright
                logres@...

                http://www.powells.com/biblio/72-9780980149647-0
              • Paul Cowan
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 14, 2011
                  On 14 Aug 2011, at 5h13, John R wrote:

                  > I'm still on a quest for that perfect sans-serif. Stone Sans was nice for a while . . .

                  Univers. But that's just me.

                  bye,

                  P. (^_^)
                  ---
                  mailto:pooru@...

                  Ma, quando si acquista stati in una provincia disforme di lingua, di costumi e di ordini, qui sono le difficultà. - Niccolò Machiavelli
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 14, 2011
                    I started with Palatino when I first used a Mac in the 1990s. In SS, it
                    is TNR for a serif and Helvetica for san serif. Boring, but seen the
                    same on other peple's machines when shared.

                    As for OS X, I use Trebuchet MS and Verdana for the san serif and TNR or
                    Cambria for the serif. Boring, but transferable

                    However, I have over 400 fonts sitting in the fonts folder, most of
                    which never see the light of day, but which I use for stuff I am
                    printing out, usually in photographic work.

                    Geoff

                    On 15/08/2011 00:10, Paul Cowan wrote:
                    > On 14 Aug 2011, at 5h13, John R wrote:
                    >

                    >> I'm still on a quest for that perfect sans-serif. Stone Sans was nice for a while . . .
                    >>

                    > Univers. But that's just me.
                    >
                    > bye,
                    >

                    > P. (^_^)
                    > ---
                    > mailto:pooru@...
                    >
                    > Ma, quando si acquista stati in una provincia disforme di lingua, di costumi e di ordini, qui sono le difficultà. - Niccolò Machiavelli

                  • mxytsplyk
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 14, 2011
                      Academy Engraved LET
                      Book Antiqua
                      Copperplate
                      Techno
                      Zapfino 1

                      I also recommend the Type Primer from Adobe, in the Files Section here.

                      Joe

                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 6, 2011
                        Steve Jobs paid attention to fonts too:

                        http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/10/06/steve-jobs-designer-first-c-e-o-second/?hp

                        I think its ability with typefaces (and the laser printer to support it) was one of the reasons for the Mac's early success.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 17, 2011
                          This creates samples of fonts installed on your computer, with your choice of text, fonts, sizes, and attributes, e.g. italics and bold. More flexible than similar programs I've seen, and makes careful comparison of typefaces easy.

                          Requires Prefab Player, which is not a bad idea to download and install anyway.

                          Free in the Files section here, as "Font Sampler".

                          John R.
                        • John Kaufmann
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 17, 2011
                            John,

                            In a message dated 2011.10.18 00:14 -0500, John R wrote:

                            > This creates samples of fonts installed on your computer, with your choice of text, fonts, sizes, and attributes, e.g. italics and bold. More flexible than similar programs I've seen, and makes careful comparison of typefaces easy.

                            Unfortunately I can't sample your Sampler (since a daughter took the Mac
                            to school), but I'm intrigued: In WP 4 or 5 (early 90s) on AOS, DOS and
                            Unix, WP used to do font classifications and comparisons for matching
                            purposes using font metrics defined in WPDL (WordPerfect Printer
                            Definition Language). Unfortunately that all went away with WP/Windows,
                            with Windows managing the fonts (less well, IMHO), and I never really
                            learned how WP/Mac fonts were managed. Do your font comparisons use the
                            WPDL definitions? - if not, how?

                            John K.
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 18, 2011
                              John's ingenious macro-and-Applescript combination reads the list of available fonts from WordPerfect's Font... menu and lets you choose the names of the fonts for which you want samples. WordPerfect itself then produces a document with sample text for each font.

                              This has no connection at all with the "font-matching" abilities of WP for DOS/Unix/etc.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 18, 2011
                                This is really excellent - and an example of the intelligent programming I mentioned in an earlier message.

                                One warning to first-time users: the first time the Applescript runs, you may think SheepShaver has locked up - but it hasn't. AppleScript is merely being very slow, and will eventually prompt you to tell it where to find WordPerfect. The next time it runs, it goes very quickly. It's only slow the first time.