Reply to Alan Potts' question about reading old files

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 9, 2011
      If you had a Macintosh Plus in 1986, you could have used any of a half-dozen different word processors. If you don't remember which program you used, then you might consider taking the disk to a local university's computer lab, and hiring a student to help you.

      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Allan Potts <sharpsticks@...> wrote:

      > John: Thank you. You have been most patient and kind. I may have been given false info. It seems that the net claims that the 1986 Mac Plus' used "microsoft word" (1- the Original). So, I suppose that my search is for that program. I'm willing to pay anyone in the S.F. Bay Area who could print out three of four docs for me in my presence as I don't need all of the docs on the diskette (under 50 words).
      > Thanks once again, A.G. Potts.

    • Mikeca
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 9, 2011
        ...watching this thread... seems even to get started there are some unknowns:

        1. file type (affix)
        2. size
        3. media it's on (a floppy?)
        4. media type you need it converted to and file type

        So what is the affix of the file?

        The first Word Processing program I remember for the MacPlus was Works™... which was a re-write of AppleWorksGS (the first actual multi purpose program which had a Word Processor, Database. Spread Sheet, Art and Communications all semi-integrated)... until Jobs killed the AppleIIGS.

        Works™ for Mac was similar.

        Since I do forensic work... I have a number of translators.. I'm sure others do too (like MacLinkPlus Deluxe which is no longer sold).

        But perhaps if you listed the file type and the size, etc., one of us could translate it into something you can use.

        Mikeca  (in the SF Bay Area)

      • Mikeca
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 9, 2011
          So it's a diskette?

          MacPlus's came with built in 3.5 floppy drives. But there were 5.25 floppy drives available.

          mikeca