Reveal Codes (was: page numbering problem)

  • tjrostaf
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 9, 2011
      > 2a. page numbering problem
      > Posted by: "Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D." TJRostaf@... tjrostaf
      > Date: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:46 pm ((PDT))
      >
      > Hi, Everyone.
      >
      > I have run into a strange glitch in page numbering in headers. I have a
      > document of about 20 pages, including a couple of graphics (.jpg photos
      > pasted in) and a number of paragraph styles. For some reason the page
      > numbers reset: page 15 becomes page 1 and later pages follow the new
      > numeration. If I delete the header and create a new one, the same thing
      > happens. There are a few other glitches. If I try to create page
      > numbers (not in a header), the page number only appears on one page.
      > Also, the header does not show up in Reveal Codes, though it can be
      > found and deleted via Find Codes. Deleting preferences and restarting
      > WP fails to repair this. I have also tried to insert the file into a
      > new document (following the usual procedure of making a new document,
      > typing a space into it, then inserting the existing file) but the
      > page-numbering glitch is still there. Is this a bug, or do I have a
      > corrupted document? I am running WP 3.5ep in OS 8.6 SheepShaver in OS
      > 10.4.9 on a Santa Rosa MacBook Pro (generally everything has worked very
      > well thanks to all the advance work by many on this list, lately I have
      > been trying out the new SheepShaver_KD_11_April_2008 build available
      > from eMaculation, it's nice to have the text insertion cursor align
      > properly -- the page numbering problem first appeared using the January
      > 2008 builds that I had been using), and would appreciate any advice.
      >
      > Tom
      >
      > ===================================> Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
      > Licensed Clinical Psychologist
      > 1140 Lake Street, Suite 508
      > Oak Park, IL 60301-1053
      > (708) 848-1611
      > fax (708) 848-1436
      > tjrostaf@...
      > ===================================
      >

      > Messages in this topic (3)
      > 2b. Re: page numbering problem
      > Posted by: "John Rethorst" jrethorst@... jrethorst
      > Date: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:28 pm ((PDT))
      >
      > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D." <TJRostaf@...>
      > wrote:
      >
      >> > Is this a bug, or do I have a corrupted document?
      > I've never seen anything like that before, so my guess is a corrupted
      > document. Try Save As, retaining Text, Attributes and Graphics. If
      > the problem persists, Save As again retaining Text and Attributes.
      > Then try saving just text (this tip is in Tips & Macros). When I have
      > something like this, though, I often just save as text, and then
      > paste the graphics in and assign styles again.
      >
      > John R.

      John, I just figured this out, three years later, thanks to Reveal Codes.

      The culprit that made page numbering revert to 1 was this code:

      Pg#.1, Arabic

      Preceding it was this code, which may or may not have contributed to the "corruption" of the document:

      Line #: Off

      Once I deleted both codes, page numbering was fixed.

      I first discovered the same problem in another, later document, and am very happy to have thought, finally, of going to Reveal Codes. These rogue codes crept in when I pasted something into the document from the internet or, in the 2008 case, from TextEdit. (It was April Fool's Day, too....) But go to opt-F2 and the problem is easily solved. Just more testimony to the robustness of WP. Tom
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 10, 2011
        Cool! Much better than my advice to extract text and start over.

        This problem of rogue codes is one disadvantage of inline formatting codes compared to other programs' paragraph-specific formatting.

        But inline codes work better overall, a point tacitly acknowledged by Microsoft when they gave Word 2007/2008 an XML-based file format.

        Rogue codes' appearance when subsequent formatting separates the code from the text it's meant to apply to is hard to avoid without paying careful attention to the codes window while formatting text, which is time-consuming.

        Locating the code would be a matter of (in the case of page numbering), turning numbering on at the top of the document, then going forward page by page in Print Preview until the discrepancy appears, then looking at that page in the Codes window.

        Anyone have any other thoughts?

        Why the line numbering code should affect page numbering in the first place is another question.

        IAC when I paste text from any source into WP, unless I specifically want formatting, I choose the Paste Special... > Text command. I've assigned a keystroke (cmd-shift-V) to Paste Text, rather than use the two-step menu access.

        Tom, thanks for bringing this up.

        John R.