Regular maintenance for OSX/SheepShaver (was: Copying to Sheepshaver)

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 27, 2011
      Rebuilding the SheepShaver desktop is a good idea, say once a month if no problems have developed. Also, since OSX is so reliable, we forget that restarting maybe once every two weeks is a good idea.

      I also run Verify Startup Disk, in the Files section here, once a week. I've automated it with Macaroni, a scheduling utility, and there are others.

      And I run Onyx, a free OSX troubleshooting utility, about once a month.

      Geoff, one or more of these may fix the problem copying to SheepShaver.

      > Have you tried rebuilding the Sheepshaver Desktop?

      >The script is in the WordPerfect -> Utilities Folder.

      And I've just added Desktop Reset.sit to the Files section here, for use with SheepShaver and OS 9 machines. For those on OSX Classic, go to System Preferences > Classic and rebuild the Classic desktop there.

      John R.

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 27, 2011
        Dear All

        Thanks. Busy couple of days, so no time for research, just reading
        messages sent in Word. I'll get back to you later this week.

        Geoff

        Geoff Gilbert
        Professor of Law
        Head of the School of Law
        School of Law and Human Rights Centre
        University of Essex
        Wivenhoe Park
        Colchester
        CO4 3SQ

        Tel: +44 (0)1206 872557
        Fax: +44 (0)1206 873428
        Email: geoff (for those outside the University, add @ followed by essex.ac.uk)

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 30, 2011
          Thanks, Geoff. Many people sent many different suggestions, and it would be very helpful to the group if you could let us know which suggestion, if any, helped to solve the problem. When you get a chance, please give us a report.

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1, 2011
            I'd like to know the outcome. I'm not on Snow Leopard yet, but difficulties using the clipboard with SheepShaver is something I'd want to address right away.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 1, 2011
              One possibility (until we learn more from Geoff's report) is that different versions of SheepShaver seem to react differently with the clipboard. The version posted at the top of the first message here runs in 64-mode under Snow Leopard on recent Macs, and apparently the clipboard doesn't work correctly with it unless it's explicitly set to run in 32-bit mode. Perhaps this doesn't apply in this case, but it's something that experimenters should be aware of.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 1, 2011
                There was something on the emaculation.com forum recently about problems with SS in 64-bit mode, but I can't find it now. Whatever they were, running in 32-bit mode fixed them.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 1, 2011
                  Dear All

                  Did the lot and no effect. I can still copy out from WP, but not into
                  WP. Nor, for that matter, any other OS 8.6 program - SimpleText will not
                  paste from OSX. Worse. I can no longer copy out from ShSh programmes
                  into OSX programmes. It's not the end of the world, but it's iritating

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 2, 2011
                    Are you running SheepShaver in 64-bit mode? (I believe the switch is on the Get Info screen for the app). I think 64-bit still needs work.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 3, 2011
                      John

                      Sorted. 32 bit mode (in ShSh's Get Info box) has restored copying in.

                      Geoff (from the shores of Lake Victoria)